American Advantage Offer Bait & Switch

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 25, 2018
Christina...Thank you so much for the detailed response. I "think" I now understand Elliot's role here. I also think I will avoid the inherent ire from the mentioned flyertalk group, as that is likely to get me more upset... As far as Neil's comments(?) Each time I write something, you seem to somehow get it wrong. You first did not know what I meant by "my" homepage on AA and then referred to a fare policy. The next time you suggested "perhaps" they removed it because I was already in a promotion. They removed it after I spoke to them regarding it, not until. You then gave a thumbs up to "dropping" the issue altogether. Mysteriously you suggested I never saw "the terms" of the promotion. Not sure where you got that? I have already said I have a screen shot of the 2nd promotion. I certainly could post it here, but not sure why you would suggest I post personal information on the web/forum? AA#, name, etc. are all part of that shot? Christina said you have a lot of experience, I guess that scares me. I look forward to other insight from other volunteers after this long weekend. Thanks again to Christina for helping to ground me. No pun intended.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Copy the terms on a note and remove or black out the identifying information. I know I can do a screen shot and edit the screenshot with a marker to remove any identifying information.

I stated I don’t think you have a case as several of us did. It was an error on AAs part. If they removed the offer there was a reason for it.

Use our contacts and ask why the offer was removed. Instead of arguing with them- ask why you didn’t qualify.

Feb 24, 2018
Did you receive an email message inviting you to enter the promotion? According to the terms posted above, qualifying participants will receive an invitation by email: "This offer expires soon, so check your email to see if you qualify today! " With that sentence, it seems the promotion appears on AA's homepage as an encouragement to get members to read their messages from AA.

Mar 17, 2015
I am sorry you thought that there was a promotion you were eligible for. It is hard to see something that looks liThere was no contract. The offer was rescinded before it you could accept it. That is why I am saying to let it go. If you want a few free miles from AA for mistakenly having an offer pop up on your screen, then you can keep writing to the execs, one at a time, waiting a week in between. Your asking for details of the offer would not constitute acceptance of the offer, ergo, no contract. Unless you can prove that you accepted the offer before AA rescinded it, then I believe you are out of luck.

May 25, 2018
George,
No, I never got the email-only the offer to sign up on "my" page. That is how this whole process started. I contacted them to say, yes I would like to be part of this promo, as opposed to the one I signed up for barely two weeks earlier. Keep in mind, this was weeks 2 and 4 in January. It was never on the AA homepage, only my page. Tanya-not really the way the offer worked initially, like George said an email went out, with a code which allowed you to proceed. The "pop up" as you described is correct. That mistake, should have been addressed from a customer relations standpoint. Clearly AA can/does use all the necessary legalese to secure their position, my asking was not an attempt to create a "contract" just simply a request for clarification on why I seemed to be targeted two times. And.... since I was, couldn't AA allow me to be part of the second promo, as opposed to the first a measure of good faith. They have yet to respond, to that request and all this is all mute for the promotion ended on May 25th. The advise for most part through Elliot seems to simply say, let it go. I guess I don't get that? If there was a contract, if AA promised something and did not deliver, clearly this would be an easier path and they would likely "need" to respond. But to say AA inadvertently/mistakenly marketed something to "me" and then realized the error, doesn't/shouldn't matter, really misses the point. Why not try to make a customer happy, not because they have to, but because it is the "more" correct thing to do? Neil, (again?) I have never argued with AA, it seems I only argue with this some on this forum. That is exactly what I have done. All the AA reps I have spoken with have been pleasant and understanding, but simply couldn't explain what happened and were unable/unwilling or not authorized/able to "process" the essence of my concern.

Feb 24, 2018
I'm not sure what you mean by "my page." Do you mean the page you see after you've logged in or your "My Account" page? Even if it appeared on your page, if it was the same offer that I quoted, you would only be eligible if you received the email offer.

Jun 27, 2017
sbirthman ... I hear what you are saying and the frustration you are feeling, and your anger toward AA. You had mentioned in an earlier post "I reached out to AA from the perspective of a loyal longtime customer." To me, that means AA should have responded and perhaps abide by the promotional offer that appeared on your page. Unfortunately, most all the major airlines - in particular, AA - don't seem to care very much about customer loyalty. Elliott.org receives hundreds of complaints/concerns/queries every month about airlines, auto rentals, cruise lines, retailers, online travel agencies, e-tailers. The volunteer advocates can't solve every problem, but the site does offer tools that MAY help you to solve yours.

I urge you to write again - using bullet points - of your issue. Keep it short, polite and to the point, expressing the resolution you would like. Try not to express anger, shock, surprise or threats (just so you know, this would take a lot of deep breathing for me). I truly hope you hear from AA. Past experience says "probably not" - but future hope, says "maybe so." Give it a whirl and keep us posted.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We have given you all the advice we can at this point - you have our company contacts and the only thing you can do it take it further up with them to try to find out why you weren't qualified to receive the offer.

I am going to close this thread but if you have any new information to report after you complete the writing campaign, let us know and we can re-open it at that time.

Sep 19, 2015
Sbirthman, we can only suggest a process that has worked before for many requests. You have started the process.

It is true that we do discuss the likelihood for the desired resolution, but no one knows how the company will react.

sometimes no one really knows there is a technology issue until it happens -- otherwise would I have to do so many software updates? And the front line customer service people are not programmers so they cannot answer how it happened.

It has not been a week since you wrote to Bentel, so a little more time is needed before continuing the process. But it is good to continue the process while waiting for a response from the main page.

Status
Not open for further replies.