American Advantage Offer Bait & Switch

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 25, 2018
In April 2018, American Airlines posted a "Platinum Promotion" on my American homepage/website. When I inquired about specific details, they said I should not have received that promotion. After two calls with Advantage customer service and no resolution, the promotion mysteriously disappeared from my homepage(?) I have written to Advantage Customer Service(Texas) Attn: Janet Ferguson (4-13-18). Emailed Ms. Philipovitch on (5-12-18) and Mr. Bentel (5-24-18). No response... I included in letter and email(s)screen shots and notes from agents who could not explain.Three agents were only able to say sorry about that it should not have happened, but there is nothing we can do. It must have been a "marketing" glitch. Sorry

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
What home page are you referring to? They are allowed to withdraw fare mistakes if you haven’t already booked.

You don’t have a case I’m afraid. If you had booked and they didn’t honor, it’s a different story.

May 25, 2018
Of course I took some action, I took three flights attempting to reach a goal from an original promotion. That promotion officially ended today. I was 1,200 EQM's away from that target. The new promotion would have extended the deadline to June and required thousands of fewer EQM/EQS. The "Homepage" (means) when you open your Advantage account. Neil, nothing whatsoever to do with flights, bookings or fares? Status Match(?) I don't think so? I needed to travel a required number of miles and dollars by the end of a specified period of time to qualify for "platinum" status, for a specified period of time.

Apr 10, 2017
I believe this is the promotion to which sbirtman is referring:

Test your luck today by trying out a elite promotion that you could participate in. American Airlines is currently offering free Gold or Platinum status to certain individuals. This is a YMMV offer which means, your results will vary or come out differently than others. With this promotion, you don’t need to status match from another airlines. Both status requires you to register by June 11, 2018 and use promo code HV58G for Gold statue or use promo code H158T for Platinum Pro. The promotion offers free Gold or Platinum status will last you till September 7, 2018. You must have and spend a certain miles for this status match offer to work. This offer expires soon, so check your email to see if you qualify today!

May 25, 2018
Close.... The one I screen shot required a July 8, 2018 registration and "platinum" status through January 2019. There was not an option for gold/platinum(?). Again, it(promo) was deleted a day or so after I reached out to Advantage customer service.

Sep 19, 2015
I have only heard of getting targeted emails for status promotions -- in fact I got one last month from AA and of course the promotion had the following text:

American Airlines reserves the right to change the AAdvantage® program and its terms and conditions at any time without notice

From what I understand you already took one promotion this year. The rules are usually that one has to fly the amount of miles in the time of the promotion. If you are 1200 EQM short for the promotion that ended on the 25th then you are 1200 EQM short.

A person cannot piggy back status promotions. If you already took one then you do not meet the eligibility requirements. One can not extend or retain status made through a Challenge/Promotion with a subsequent Challenge/Promotion.

May 25, 2018
I completely understand. I signed up for original promotion and then two weeks later the second one appeared. That was the reason I reached out to customer service in the first place. I asked why, after I had already sign-ed, why the second promo? And.... more importantly, had I known the second promo was coming in another week or so, I clearly would have chosen that option, with far less requirements. I was never trying to "piggyback" the promotion, simply trying to understand why AA did what they did and then refused to make things right. I really don't think using the AA's disclaimer fits here.

"American Airlines reserves the right to change the AAdvantage® program and its terms and conditions at any time without notice ."

That comprehensive clause regarding terms and conditions doesn't address a "marketing" error they undoubtedly made. They didn't "change" anything, that is the point. I truly appreciate you trying to help, but honestly feel your allegiance may be more with AA and not a random customer.

Sep 19, 2015
I am not a customer of AA; have not flown them in over a decade. The only reason my AA miles are alive is because of having to take British Airways for domestic flights in the UK. I fly United and Delta and live in the US.

I am sorry that you think that an explanation of a promotion is indicative of an allegiance to AA.

I got a status promotion email from AA recently. I did not sign up for it because I will not be flying AA. I did sign into my AA account and the promotion was not on my AA page. There was a section for a promotion code but no offer on my page. I can click through the link from my email promotion to sign up for it. I still have not signed up because it is pointless.

So perhaps a technology error but there is no obligation that it be honored if one does not meet the requirements.

And lastly my AA miles are from TWA. I signed up for various mileage programs when I was in college in the 1980s. So it is regrettable that you think an explanation makes me an AA apologist.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Of course I took some action, I took three flights attempting to reach a goal from an original promotion. That promotion officially ended today. I was 1,200 EQM's away from that target. The new promotion would have extended the deadline to June and required thousands of fewer EQM/EQS. The "Homepage" (means) when you open your Advantage account. Neil, nothing whatsoever to do with flights, bookings or fares? Status Match(?) I don't think so? I needed to travel a required number of miles and dollars by the end of a specified period of time to qualify for "platinum" status, for a specified period of time.
Perhaps the offer was withdrawn because you were already using a promo and really weren’t entitled to the promo on your page.

Sep 19, 2015
You received a new promo two weeks after getting and accepting one. It takes around 10 business days for the original promo to be credited and account updated according to the promo I received for Platinum Pro on May 15th and have not accepted.

That is why there was a second offer, the systems had not updated. Once a promo is accepted there is no accepting another.

A new promo would not have extended the deadline to June to get the last 1200 EQM. “Travel completed prior to registration does not count for the promotion”. The qualifying dollars and money calculations for the promotional status start at zero once the promotion is accepted.

May 25, 2018
I appreciate the attempts and speculations people are making to help me understand "why" things happened. Clearly the promo was withdrawn, but only after I contacted AA asking for an explanation. Christina, It really sounds as if you know a lot about the process with AA. Not sure why you would suggest "10 business days?" Once I accepted the promo, it was closer to 2 days before status change appeared on my page. I registered January 12. The second promo appeared 2 weeks later and although an interesting theory regarding systems updating, I really doubt the AA IT system takes weeks to update. That promotion continued to be "active" until April 2018 on my webpage.

Not sure why this seems so hard to understand and so little sympathy for my position? The error AA made should have been rectified, regardless. I reached out to AA from the perspective of a loyal longtime customer. I asked them to consider a request to "somehow" be a part of the second promotion, due to this. I asked for a simple accommodation and find it so very hard to believe this affected AA's in any substantive way. They could not understand why it happened, just sorry that it did... I have been traveling a lifetime and have spent some time dealing with customer relations in many different areas in that time. Typically, even with airlines... We will try to make things right. We are sorry for the inconvenience, this should never have happened. Is there anything we can do to make you feel better? NONE of that ever happened!

If anyone has any thoughts regarding how to proceed, it would truly be very appreciated . If the insight/theories are given to help me "understand" or explain why American Airlines has no obligation or need to address this, I'm good at this point.

Sep 19, 2015
The reason I know about the promotion is I got one and did not use it. That is where I read the 10 day part.

I see that you have written to two of the executives on the list, most recently Bentel on May 24. Some people have reported difficulties when emailing attachments. You need to give Bentel more time to respond assuming the email went through and factor in the holiday weekend before writing to the next executive.

May 25, 2018
Thanks-Christina. I sent two emails(one w/another w/o attachment). I did not hear from anyone within the Executive staff at AA after letter to Ferguson(DFW), so I really doubt I will. I wish I knew more about the purpose of this forum? I am sorry for the frustrated tone in my text. For Just a Guy, Tanya and Neil(?Moderator) to say "move on" is almost certainly the point! How is that any sort of productive observation? (Proceed) typically means to move forward, there is no need to respond to this, if your solution is to play dead or rollover, that advice is inane. Just a Guy could have been one of the 2-3 customer service reps I spoke with. Hmmmm, I don't understand and we are sorry that shouldn't have happened-move on. I was directed to Elliot as the next step in the process by Michelle Friedman(Exec. Dir.) (likely canned email response), in hopes of looking for help or assistance here. I have to say....not so much. Not even a ... Man that really sucks for you, which would at least make me feel better.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We can’t solve every issue that comes to the forums. But first we give you the tools to try to resolve is yourself. Which is using our company contacts and writing on your own.

If you have a case we would tell you. If you don’t- we will tell you as well. Christina has given you terms that appreared in writing on the offer she received.

You said you didn’t see the terms and that’s what you called about. If you had met the terms- they would have told you.

Without seeing everything in writing- the actual offer and the terms- we can’t do anything. If it’s not in writing, it doesn’t exist I’m sorry to say.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Sorry we can't help you directly. The words in the promotion "luck" and "you may be able to participate" say it all. You might want to have a look at the AA forums on FlyerTalk to gain more insight into why this didn't work out for you.

Sep 19, 2015
Thanks-Christina. I sent two emails(one w/another w/o attachment). I did not hear from anyone within the Executive staff at AA after letter to Ferguson(DFW), so I really doubt I will. I wish I knew more about the purpose of this forum? I am sorry for the frustrated tone in my text. For Just a Guy, Tanya and Neil(?Moderator) to say "move on" is almost certainly the point! How is that any sort of productive observation? (Proceed) typically means to move forward, there is no need to respond to this, if your solution is to play dead or rollover, that advice is inane. Just a Guy could have been one of the 2-3 customer service reps I spoke with. Hmmmm, I don't understand and we are sorry that shouldn't have happened-move on. I was directed to Elliot as the next step in the process by Michelle Friedman(Exec. Dir.) (likely canned email response), in hopes of looking for help or assistance here. I have to say....not so much. Not even a ... Man that really sucks for you, which would at least make me feel better.
As Neil mentioned the purpose of the forum is to help people find the right contacts and to direct them to the appropriate way to contact -- such as do not email everyone at once, and to wait -- so far you have followed the recommended path.

Everyone on the site is a volunteer, and as it is a holiday weekend there may be a delay in responding. ALso keep in mind the volume of emails received -- and that the site is not just for travel but other consumer issues. So there are likely a number of emails there waiting for a volunteer to spend some of their free time looking into the issue. So there has to be some patience from your end.

There are some issues that the main site (not the forum) does not get involved with -- such as mistake fares, which are often a technological issue. Your problem may fall into this classification.

Some people will tell you straight out if they think there is a viable case. Several do not think it is viable -- why? Well the DOT has ruled that mistake fares do not have to be honored, so it would not be a stretch to say that mistake in marketing for status would be the same.

You could post on flyertalk, but be prepared for very blunt responses. Some people would likely not think it was fair that you profit from an error when everyone else that accepted the short term free status had to actually fly the paid trips in the allocated time. There are posters on that forum that earn their status that do not like the free status promotions at all, so I am just warning you. I looked at the forum when trying to decide whether to accept the promo for Platinum Pro, and decided not to because I am not going to be flying AA in the near future.

Most of us here are realists; Neil has a lot of experience as a travel agent and helps a lot of people and knows very well how airlines, cruises, and other parts of the industry work. Just a guy is straightforward. Obviously we do not always agree with each other but that is to be expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.