Amazon signed me up for Kindle unlimited and I don't know what that even is...

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I've been a Prime member since the beginning and have none of those Kindle charges. Do you HAVE a Kindle? Have you read an Amazon e-book on a different device, like your phone?
Ha, ha, no ... but I have a lot of real books. And lots of them came from Amazon.

Last edited:

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I don't have them either. I'd suggest emailing their customer service, they've always been responsive to me.
That's what I was going to do with the fake prime membership ... I looked for a CS email/communication but didn't see it ... probably too annoyed at that point.

My original post was not to solicit advice on how to get rid of this charge but to point out that it was one of several that we've seen on this forum lately. I always thought that Amazon was the gold standard of online customer service and was surprised to read that other people had issues as well.

Last edited:

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
That's what I was going to do with the fake prime membership ... I looked for a CS email/communication but didn't see it ... probably too annoyed at that point.

My original post was not to solicit advice on how to get rid of this charge but to point out that it was one of several that we've seen on this forum lately. I always thought that Amazon was the gold standard of online customer service and was surprised to read that other people had issues as well.
No, not with Amazon. They don't "cram" the $9.99 kindle thing required you to pro actively "opt In" it's not an acidential thing. Amazon from my years of use has been fabulous! JMHO of course ;)

Aug 29, 2015
I have the Kindle Unlimited and love it, but I have a huge reading habit and 3 kindles. Plus a lack of a public library with electronic books. Kindle unlimited takes the place of the library.

Oct 6, 2016
A $9.99/month charge is almost certainly a monthly unlimited use of a movie, music, books, games, etc area. It's great if you use one section a lot, not if you don't. Amazon usually will roll these charges right back, without issue, but I wouldn't wait too long. They can also view your usage, so they would be able to tell that since this charge, you've downloaded zero books. Tell them to access your download history and that will prove it. As a side, I once I had my music library of over 4000 titles disappear and they were able to force it back in within a minute. Your history is viewable.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
I have an update: resolved. I received a survey about the help from the other day and I said it was horrible. Then there was a contact number so I decided to try again. Got an agent, she transferred me to kindle, they instantly saw I have never used this service a single time or even clicked on kindle. The man issued the 3 refunds back to July and the entire call took 4 minutes. I'm still perplexed about the customer service disaster of last week, but who knows.

At the end he tried to sign me up for some other subscription but I told him it was bad timing.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
My usage was
A $9.99/month charge is almost certainly a monthly unlimited use of a movie, music, books, games, etc area. It's great if you use one section a lot, not if you don't. Amazon usually will roll these charges right back, without issue, but I wouldn't wait too long. They can also view your usage, so they would be able to tell that since this charge, you've downloaded zero books. Tell them to access your download history and that will prove it. As a side, I once I had my music library of over 4000 titles disappear and they were able to force it back in within a minute. Your history is viewable.
My usage was zero. I've never heard of it. I have Apple Music for 9.99/month, Netflix, every movie Channel that exists, free in demand anywhere that I barely use, Sirius unlimited , Apple TV, and probably a million other things. Everything is streaming everywhere on every device and Use a the small part each month that interests me. It's getting absurd. I don't even know where anything is. I am a big reader but don't read books on kindle

I resented being subscribed to something for 9.99 month when I already have all this other stuff that I'm not sure I need. You are right they removed the charges today easily. Last week when I called it must have been training day or something. These subscriptions are out of control. Getting signed up for recurring charges you don't want has become easier than breathing.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
"I resented being subscribed to something for 9.99 month when I already have all this other stuff that I'm not sure I need. You are right they removed the charges today easily. Last week when I called it must have been training day or something. These subscriptions are out of control. Getting signed up for recurring charges you don't want has become easier than breathing."[/QUOTE]

AAGK is right ... the point is that Amazon is signing people up without their asking for the product. It's fraudulent. All the Amazon lovers out there are missing this and defending Amazon. We don't want to spend time deleting charges that we never authorized, no matter who the seller is.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Your result is my total and complete experience with Amazon. Any issue resolved in a couple minutes no problems in that regard.

Sorry your experience last week was so out of the norm for CS and Amazon.

Oct 16, 2017
I just noticed a $9.99 charge for "Amazon Digital Services" has appeared on my credit card for 3 months. I've never heard of this or purchased it and do not want this. I have Amazon Prime so I'm a semi frequent customer. I check my order history and I've never ordered this thing. Apparently this is a subscription to Amazon Kindle Unlimited. If this was free I wouldn't use it. A 2 min call to Amazon should've cleared this up. Not so. I just disputed the charge and it was removed but folks should check for this on their cards.

The same exact thing happened to me twice on two different credit cards, the first one I reported fraud because I knew I didn't use kindle and never subscribed any services. Second time I called Amazon to ask what's going on with this repetition in charges on different cards of services I never subscribed to! They told me I accidentally subscribed and the services are showing on my account EXPECT when I went online my account said I'm not subscribed to ANY services! Amazon is scamming people! How sad!