Amazon signed me up for Kindle unlimited and I don't know what that even is...

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 28, 2015
New York
I just noticed a $9.99 charge for "Amazon Digital Services" has appeared on my credit card for 3 months. I've never heard of this or purchased it and do not want this. I have Amazon Prime so I'm a semi frequent customer. I check my order history and I've never ordered this thing. Apparently this is a subscription to Amazon Kindle Unlimited. If this was free I wouldn't use it. A 2 min call to Amazon should've cleared this up. Not so. I just disputed the charge and it was removed but folks should check for this on their cards.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Hmmmm, Amazon must have hired an executive from a car rental company, who is now adding things to peoples' accounts wily-nily. This is about the fourth instance we've heard of in the last month. Such a shame, they had a great CS reputation. Sure, the unwanted items can all be made to go away, but who wants to waste time dealing with them?

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
I've been a Prime member since the beginning and have none of those Kindle charges. Do you HAVE a Kindle? Have you read an Amazon e-book on a different device, like your phone?

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Do you play any online games, like Xbox? Or does someone who has access to your account?

Aug 28, 2015
New York
I've been a Prime member since the beginning and have none of those Kindle charges. Do you HAVE a Kindle? Have you read an Amazon e-book on a different device, like your phone?
I don't have a kindle. I do have the iPhone kindle app downloaded and make a purchase about 3 times/year. Usually this purchase is not for a book that comes in print but a 4.99 or less item. In the past 6 years I may have downloaded one or 2 books that were under 10. Apparently one of these purchases triggered the subscription. Which is ridiculous bc paying 9.99 for the rest of my life for one book would be crazy and obviously not something I selected. I'm pretty technology savvy and consumer aware (I hope) so while Amazon offered the possibility that I signed up by mistake, that reply brings me back to the same place- what is wrong with their website that I would mistakenly sign up for something I don't want or need unknowingly. Also, the items I purchased and were sent to kindle app, I paid for separately. I've experienced Amazon errors, they were always swiftly resolved with a phone call. Amazon also dropped my call 3 times. I can't even file a claim online bc this nonpurchase is not in my order history, nor have I received a single email about it, confirming I opted in or whatever. It's a total scam- and I dislike when people say that but this really is. The credit card removed the charge but it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
Do you play any online games, like Xbox? Or does someone who has access to your account?
No. never. I haven't even made a book purchase since July, before the "subscription" started. I scoured my Amazon account and not a single digital download, not I. Games nor books, nothing. The only associated device is my iPhone. My account also shows previous devices and all my former iPhones. There are no purchases under the subscription.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
Also, I received a $500 Amazon gift card as a present for my birthday in June. I wasn't thrilled about it but it's still sitting on my account completely untouched since then so I must have not placed an order all summer either. Amazon's claim I purchased this 9.99/month thing in July defies all common sense as I could buy any book I wanted and have not purchased anything bc I'm still catching up with my spring books.

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
@AAGK, I imagine about a month before the charge, you may have been looking for something and clicked on the "Read for Free" button and accidentally signed up for the service. There is a 30-day trial period and after that, you are billed $9.99/month.

From the overview, How can I access Kindle Unlimited books?

A: You can find Kindle Unlimited books everywhere you shop for Kindle books today. Look for the Kindle Unlimited icon throughout the Kindle Store and click on the "Read for Free" button on Kindle book pages to start reading.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
@AAGK, I imagine about a month before the charge, you may have been looking for something and clicked on the "Read for Free" button and accidentally signed up for the service. There is a 30-day trial period and after that, you are billed $9.99/month.

From the overview, How can I access Kindle Unlimited books?

A: You can find Kindle Unlimited books everywhere you shop for Kindle books today. Look for the Kindle Unlimited icon throughout the Kindle Store and click on the "Read for Free" button on Kindle book pages to start reading.
That would be great but I don't want this service. You are probably right that this occurred, but I have no recollection of this. I don't read books through my kindle app ever. I have a few things downloaded that I paid for, more like articles. I have no use of it. I bought a new iPhone 2 months ago and never even downloaded the kindle app on my new phone as I use it so infrequently.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
@Carrie Livingston is right, I definitely clicked something that obligated me for the rest of my life. I blame Amazon for that anyway. I have a $500 gift card on my account. Amazon charges orders using your applied gift card first. It's inconceivable in July I would sign up for this service with my gift card intact and not have purchased a single book through this great unlimited deal, if I selected it.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
Also, I'm one of the folks who used Amazon 90% of the time to buy books. I have a rare book collection and i have certain books I'm looking for from Amazon sellers. If a human being there looked at my account this would be instantly clear. I've always been pro Amazon on the forum but no longer!:)

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
You get a 30-day or something like that, for free, then it's $9.99/month.
Thought it was explained that once you have the service....Kindle Unlimited... then you could read things 'for free.' Not exactly free if you have to pay 9.99/month. What else does Kindle Unlimited service entail ?

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
Thought it was explained that once you have the service....Kindle Unlimited... then you could read things 'for free.' Not exactly free if you have to pay 9.99/month. What else does Kindle Unlimited service entail ?
What is Kindle Unlimited?

A: Kindle Unlimited is a new service that allows you to read as much as you want, choosing from over 1 million titles and thousands of audiobooks. Freely explore new authors, books, and genres from mysteries and romance to sci-fi and more. You can read on any device. It's available for $9.99 a month and you can cancel anytime. Try it free for 30 days.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
I'm hoping by now a phone call has been made and Amazon has taken care of this.

Last summer they had been offering a free 30 Days and it clearly had a $9.99 monthly fee after the 30 day trial period. You had to "Opt In" and confirm. I wonder who else has access to your devices and your Amazon account. You may want to look back at your Amazon prior orders in your account and see what else you may have ordered that day.