Amazon Problem

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 14, 2019
Hello everybody, I had a problem with Amazon they locked my account with $1.6k on it.
I believe the problem is beacuse one of my friend send me the giftcard with Amazon account which he didn't use for 1-2 years.
And they asked me for fax I sent 1 fax they asked for another fax I sent another fax, I sent the fax with a free fax provider.
The amazon giftcard were purschased on Amazon.com
I sent the proof below.
I had different giftcard that day I sent the proof for all of them.
Btw I had this account since 2015, and had bought things with giftcards alot more than 25k.

Attachments

Sep 12, 2018
Let’s say you’re Amazon. Someone’s buying expensive items with gift cards. Repeatedly. That’s a little strange, but, hey, maybe it’s legitimate. But the screenshot you provided shows your mobile provider as Korek. That’s Iraqi, if I’m not mistaken. But you’re using the English-language site and buying gift cards in USD. So, again, if you’re Amazon, you might wonder why anyone would buy gift cards in a foreign currency and use the website for a different country. I have no idea where you’re shipping these things, but that adds another layer that, to Amazon, might look suspicious. It also seems like the gift card was purchased by a third party. If your friend is also in Iraq and buying USD gift cards, that’s unusual. If your friend is not in Iraq, having the card used in another country is also unusual. So Amazon probably thinks this is fraud. It might not be, but you have to admit, it’s easy to see how Amazon might think so.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Let’s say you’re Amazon. Someone’s buying expensive items with gift cards. Repeatedly. That’s a little strange, but, hey, maybe it’s legitimate. But the screenshot you provided shows your mobile provider as Korek. That’s Iraqi, if I’m not mistaken. But you’re using the English-language site and buying gift cards in USD. So, again, if you’re Amazon, you might wonder why anyone would buy gift cards in a foreign currency and use the website for a different country. I have no idea where you’re shipping these things, but that adds another layer that, to Amazon, might look suspicious. It also seems like the gift card was purchased by a third party. If your friend is also in Iraq and buying USD gift cards, that’s unusual. If your friend is not in Iraq, having the card used in another country is also unusual. So Amazon probably thinks this is fraud. It might not be, but you have to admit, it’s easy to see how Amazon might think so.
More importantly, the Amazon anti-fraud computer algorithms have flagged this activity and no one at Amazon wants to override the algorithms for a small issue for one individual, or even a group doing similar things. Amazon does quite well as it is and does not need to risk issues with possible fraudulent foreign sales/purchases.

Jul 14, 2019
He is a soldier serving in iraq thats why, he called amazon support 10-11 times too. They told him that ' I should send a screenshot with that receipt'

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Unfortunately, your screenshot shows the use of a debit card and a gift card. This is a frequent situation leading to freezing an Amazon account, plus you are using an overseas cell network. All of this raises red flags with the Amazon computer.

I suggest that you explain that you are a deployed serviceman and why you used this method of payment and internet access. Use email only, no phone calls. When you use the phone you will be told something different every time you call, and what you have been told in previous phone contacts will be ignored.
https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/amazon/

Feb 3, 2019
I suggest that you explain that you are a deployed serviceman
Except per Post #6, the friend who purchased the gift card is the "soldier serving in iraq," not our poster.

It's also unclear why the purchaser was suddenly using a long-dormant Amazon account and a debit card to buy a gift card in an odd amount. As we've seen before, if this transaction was actually a payment or reimbursement or anything other than a legitimate gift, that may also have tripped Amazon's fraud algorithms.

Sep 19, 2015
So a US service person in Iraq uses a dormant amazon account to send US $320 in an Amazon gift card — with an Iraqi ISP and uses a debit card with a US address —this would set the fraud algorithms into overdrive.

And what do you mean you have already sent an email to Jeff — you mean Bezos the CEO — are you on first name basis with him? It is not advised to start at the top.

And why have the purchases which total over 25k all been on gift cards?

This may take time to sort out how long has it been?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
There is an issue with the gift card perhaps you friend isn’t telling you about. It is very rare for Amazon to give back any monies with problem gift cards. You admit someone “gave” it to you. Why didn’t your friend use it themselves?

This is the issue in almost every case that comes here. We rarely see someone say “I bought it directly from Amazon using my account”.

Use your account according to Amazon rules and you will likely never have a issue if you don’t want your account permanentlly suspended.

Jul 14, 2019
There is an issue with the gift card perhaps you friend isn’t telling you about. It is very rare for Amazon to give back any monies with problem gift cards. You admit someone “gave” it to you. Why didn’t your friend use it themselves?

This is the issue in almost every case that comes here. We rarely see someone say “I bought it directly from Amazon using my account”.

Use your account according to Amazon rules and you will likely never have a issue if you don’t want your account permanentlly suspended.
Beacuse I had my birthday :)

Jan 11, 2019
Amazon may think the payment method used to buy the gift card is fraudulent, like a stolen credit card. Most accounts being shut down almost always seem to be a friend buying another friend gift cards in large amounts. It just seems so odd to me and I have to admit I'm very skeptical about these types of Amazon complaints.