Amazon Kindle Fire Tech. Problems - Assured Replacement Denied

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 7, 2017
Hello everyone,

I purchased a Kindle Fire HD 8" (5th Generation) in April 2016. In December 2016 (while under warranty), I contacted Amazon via chat to attempt to have a technical issue fixed. I spent 7 months in contact with Amazon customer service (all via chat or e-mail) in regards to this matter. We tried multiple troubleshooting attempts which never resolved the matter.

In June, while chatting with an agent, he assured me twice that if the problem could not be resolved, a replacement would be made at no cost to me. I specifically addressed the fact that when I first contacted Amazon, I was under warranty, but that it has since expired:

“08:52 AM PDT Kimberly S. Geiter: My other big concern outside of desired settings reverting upon start up, is that I was still w/in the 1 year warranty when I inquired and followed-up, but now am at 14 months
08:54 AM PDT Pavan: Please be assured, we will take care of it. If your needs a replacement then we will replace it
Just give me a moment.”
09:00 AM PDT Pavan: You will get an update within 2-3 days of receiving your kindle. I will leave a note to your developers for a new kindle at no additional charge
(he meant w/in 2-3 days of tech support receiving my requested Kindle Log files)

On July 19th, I was informed via chat, that no resolution could be found for my problem. Since I was now out of warranty the customer service agent would only offer discounts for a new Kindle. I let her know that was not the assurance that had been made and that I would e-mail customer service.

July 19th: E-mail customer service, include copies of all chat transcripts and e-mail history
July 26th: No response from customer service, so I send the e-mail again stating that I had not heard back in a week.
July 26th: Receive e-mail from customer service that states: "I'm so sorry, but we can't offer any additional insight or action on this matter."
July 26th: Using the contacts for Amazon from elliott.org, I contact Dave Clark (primary contact) with a concise, polite e-mail asking if he could please take the time to look over my case ID. I never hear back.
August 2nd: I e-mail Mike Roth (secondary contact).

To date, I have not heard back.

I am looking for advice on the next step - if there is a next step. I truly believe that since I contacted Amazon while under warranty, and received assurances from a customer service agent that a replacement would be made if no solution to the problem was found, that it shouldn't matter that technical services found no conclusion until after the warranty had expired.

I greatly appreciate any advice you can give me.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
DC, if you will make a list of what's happened in chronological order, we can advise you. All those emails make it difficult to follow the story, please just summarize them. One thing I can say is that if you started this project while the thing was under warranty, you'll prevail, even tho Amazon is a tough nut. We just need to know exactly what happened.

Aug 7, 2017
This is a list of the key communication dates. As it's been ongoing for 7 months, there are many more e-mails and chats intermixed w/in these dates. (I have word documents detailing every instance of communication between Amazon and me, as well as copies of all chat transcripts.

4/7/16: Purchase Kindle Fire HD
12/20/16: Contact Amazon via chat for first time
1/4/17: Follow up inquiry to see if there are any updates. Told no, but my patience is appreciated.
6/21/17: Customer service assures (in writing) a replacement will be made if not resolution found
7/19/17: Told technical issue cannot be fixed. Will only offer a discount.
7/19/17: E-mail Customer Service about desired resolution per the assurances of one of their agents (No response)
7/26.17: E-mail Customer Service again, told that the matter is concluded on their end
7/26/17: E-mail Dave Clark (primary contact via Elliott.org) (No Response)
8/2/17: E-mail Mike Roth (secondary contact via Elliott.org) (No Response)

Your help is appreciated. Thank you,
Kimberly

Aug 7, 2017
Alright, we can close this thread. I started a thread on Twitter about the 7 months of looking into my issue and the retraction of a replacement offer. They followed up with me and have offered a promotional credit to cover the cost of a new Kindle.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Alright, we can close this thread. I started a thread on Twitter about the 7 months of looking into my issue and the retraction of a replacement offer. They followed up with me and have offered a promotional credit to cover the cost of a new Kindle.
Well, well! How wonderful. I'm beginning to think that the only place to purchase things like small electronics is in a local store. At least then you have "somewhere to go" rather than continue to chat, email and be ignored by Amazon.