Amazon Improper Refund for Returned Items

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 14, 2018
Thanks Tanya! Maybe SMD is right in the interpetation of the law. That is good to know.

Regardless, Amazon is an online retailer for 17538 is the more appropriate code to turn to and from my quick skim it doesn't seem like there are any hard and fast rules with deadlines like 1723.

I am doing so right now. I will keep you all posted.
I'm still not sure what you think Amazon is doing wrong. A link to their return policy is on the bottom of every page of the site. Further, when you purchase a product, this return info is displayed at the bottom of the checkout page.:

"You may return new, unopened merchandise in original condition within 30 days of delivery. Exceptions and restrictions apply. See Amazon.com's Returns Policy."​

Did Amazon charge you restocking fees for unopened merchandise returned within 30 days?

Dec 29, 2018
I'm still not sure what you think Amazon is doing wrong. A link to their return policy is on the bottom of every page of the site. Further, when you purchase a product, this return info is displayed at the bottom of the checkout page.:

"You may return new, unopened merchandise in original condition within 30 days of delivery. Exceptions and restrictions apply. See Amazon.com's Returns Policy."​

Did Amazon charge you restocking fees for unopened merchandise returned within 30 days?
Yes they did. Also a link to their return policy at the bottom of every page is not sufficient per legal requirements. It needs to be brought to the consumers attention

Mar 14, 2018
Yes they did. Also a link to their return policy at the bottom of every page is not sufficient per legal requirements. It needs to be brought to the consumers attention
If that's the case, why wouldn't you just say Amazon is not adhering to its published return policy? The restocking fees only apply to opened merchandise or merchandise returned outside the return window. That seems a much stronger position than claiming that displaying the policy on the checkout page isn't legally sufficient.

Dec 29, 2018
Update: After a long conversation with customer support for the ninth time regarding this lack of proper disclosure, Amazon agreed and has provided me with a refund for all of the restocking fees and a refund for all the items returned.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Update: After a long conversation with customer support for the ninth time regarding this lack of proper disclosure, Amazon agreed and has provided me with a refund for all of the restocking fees and a refund for all the items returned.
I’m glad it worked out for you- persistence and good research do work. I see you are a law student- I think you are going to have a very successful career!

Just be careful of excessive returns with Amazon. We’ve seen cases here if accounts being closed for excessive returns and consumers have not had luck having their accounts re-opened.

Feb 11, 2018
Sorry, but I'm losing patience with this. In my opinion, the link to return policies is quite sufficient for an online retailer. If the customer chooses not to inform him/herself by following the link, that's not Amazon's problem. And unfortunately (although I'm not assuming this would apply to you), for some people a flashing red sign in all caps would still be ignored.

Sep 19, 2015
Jsmithw I have to agree with you. How many retailers have the return policy for every item in the check out cart online? There is a link whether it is Amazon, NeimanMarcus.com, and so on. No small business would want to sell to someone in CA online.

The OP has made a legal conclusion without any basis in fact and ignored the interpretations of others.

If the OP really believes that it is illegal they can complain to the CA attorney general and see what the response is.

Status
Not open for further replies.