Amazon goods returns : Amazon is neither processing my refund nor returning my parcel

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 20, 2019
Hi,
I returned an item to Amazon by a courier within the permitted period for a refund. I send them a copy of the courier receipt as a proof. Two months after many written promises that they received my parcel and that my refund is under process, they sent me an email last week that it seems they received an "empty" box OR "incorrect" item. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that I sent the correct item. I asked them to return back the incorrect item so I could open a claim with the courier company, they replied that they had thrown my parcel in the garbage !! any advise as to how I could proceed to claim my refund ?

Dec 19, 2014
1) What dollar amounts are we dealing with? Is this a $50 item or a $1000 item?
2) Which courier did you use? Did you send it insured? with tracking?
3) What is the exact reason that Amazon cited?

Oct 20, 2019
The amount is USD 1220.
I used FedEx. I emailed Amazon the courier receipt number and the receipt signature image showing the date and time it was received. I returned it in the same package I received. I did not even open it. Unfortunately it was not insured but yes, it was tracked. Amazon confirmed receiving the parcel.
After many written confirmations that they received my parcel and that refund would be processed in few days, I received an email saying they received empty box OR incorrect item . When I asked them to return my parcel to open a claim with FedEx they said they did throw it away !

Apr 23, 2018
@Chris in NC op is in Saudi Arabia so that might add some additional questions for you. @amrkhalifa was the package returned to the US?
Doesn't match my experiences with Amazon. Did OP use the return slip provided by Amazon? Even if they did, and the box was received empty, wouldn't a shipping slip indicate weight of item? Wouldn't Amazon then work with them to help with the carrier claim?

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Doesn't match my experiences with Amazon. Did OP use the return slip provided by Amazon? Even if they did, and the box was received empty, wouldn't a shipping slip indicate weight of item? Wouldn't Amazon then work with them to help with the carrier claim?
One time I didn’t even have to return the item to receive a refund!

Oct 20, 2019
One time I didn’t even have to return the item to receive a refund!
You are right if the return goods value is fairly low , in this case they will refund you before they receive the returned item. In my case the cost of the return item is more than USD1000

Oct 20, 2019
No, I did not use Amazon return slip because it was international returns.

Sep 19, 2015
Yes, I returned it to Aramex New York Office ( Which receive all my Amazon orders and forward it to me in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia) . Aramex sent it to Amazon via FedEx as they do not cover Kentucky (Amazon return office).
Could the Fedex box have been tampered with? This is not unheard of.....

Is there any verification that it was intact when it went to FedEx? The problem is two different shipping methods -- was it insured?

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Could the Fedex box have been tampered with? This is not unheard of.....

Is there any verification that it was intact when it went to FedEx? The problem is two different shipping methods -- was it insured?
I agree, two different transactions happened ... is there a clear tracking trail between the time you shipped it, it was received and shipped again, and when Amazon received it? If so, I would write to Amazon, laying out the facts, and ask them to refund. Use our Company Contacts if customer service is unable to help. Work your way up the list of executives. If the contents were stated on the package and it wasn't insured, it's highly likely that "someone" intercepted it. This is a very sticky situation ... but best of luck and please let us know what happens.

Dec 19, 2014
Yes, I returned it to Aramex New York Office ( Which receive all my Amazon orders and forward it to me in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia) . Aramex sent it to Amazon via FedEx as they do not cover Kentucky (Amazon return office).
Apologies for asking so many questions, but I want to be sure that I am 100% clear on what happened.
Is the following correct?
- You are physically in Saudi Arabia
- You received the item in Saudi Arabia
- You had Amazon ship the item to Aramex in NY, and Aramex in NY shipped the item to Saudi Arabia
- You did not open the item upon receipt to inspect it
- You decided to return the item
- You shipped the item to Aramex in NY
- Aramex then shipped the item to Amazon returns via FedEx

If the above is correct, there are multiple points of contact where the item could have been swapped or changed.
Unfortunately, if Amazon can document that they did not receive the item, or received an empty box, the burden of proof may be on you.

When I return a high dollar item, I videotape the packaging of the item, seal it with security tape and put the label OVER the tape. I always get a receipt showing the weight of the package, as well as a photograph of me dropping off the item with FexEx. In your situation, you are using a relay service, so things are much more complicated.