Amazon Gift Card Locked in Account

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 21, 2019
I'm 18 & my parents don't trust me with a credit or debit card anymore, so they took them from me. However, I received a $50 gift card from a friend to get a game I wanted. I made a new account since I previously used eBay & had to skip all the credit/debit card stuff since I no longer own one. I went to buy the game, & the thing said I needed a card at checkout, even though I was buying a code for Xbox, worth 50 dollars, with the 50 dollar gift card to buy it digitally. I didn't think it mattered much, so I used a fake card I found online to try & bypass it. I go to buy it, & fall asleep waiting for it to process, but it doesn't, until I wake up the next morning to find that the purchase was automatically cancelled, so I go to redo it again, & it denies me every time. I hit up customer support, & they said they needed the card number because they saw something was up with the account. I admitted to using a fake card, & they said I'd get an email on how to resolve this, & that once I got the account back, I'd still have the card. I got the email this morning, saying that I need to fax in the card (which I told them I don't have) in order to gain access back to the account, & with it, my gift card. Sure enough, I try to login on my phone, & it automatically signed me out. Also, I can't contact customer support again through the texting-type method I used without access to an account, so I'm feeling kinda stuck here. I just wanna know if I've lost the account for good since I used a fake card, & if I can get my gift card balance back regardless. Call me cheap, but I'd rather use the card since I (think I) have it.

Jul 13, 2016
Unfortunately, not only have you most likely lost the $50 gift card, but you have likely lost the use of Amazon, forever. They will almost certainly close your account and you will not be allowed to open another account, and believe me, they will know if you try it.

Amazon insists on a valid credit card even if you are using a gift card for the full amount of the purchase. This is to help combat money laundering and fraud.

Your friend could have bought the game for you, or you could have asked your parents to buy it using their credit card and the gift card.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I'm 18 & my parents don't trust me with a credit or debit card anymore, so they took them from me. However, I received a $50 gift card from a friend to get a game I wanted. I made a new account since I previously used eBay & had to skip all the credit/debit card stuff since I no longer own one. I went to buy the game, & the thing said I needed a card at checkout, even though I was buying a code for Xbox, worth 50 dollars, with the 50 dollar gift card to buy it digitally. I didn't think it mattered much, so I used a fake card I found online to try & bypass it. I go to buy it, & fall asleep waiting for it to process, but it doesn't, until I wake up the next morning to find that the purchase was automatically cancelled, so I go to redo it again, & it denies me every time. I hit up customer support, & they said they needed the card number because they saw something was up with the account. I admitted to using a fake card, & they said I'd get an email on how to resolve this, & that once I got the account back, I'd still have the card. I got the email this morning, saying that I need to fax in the card (which I told them I don't have) in order to gain access back to the account, & with it, my gift card. Sure enough, I try to login on my phone, & it automatically signed me out. Also, I can't contact customer support again through the texting-type method I used without access to an account, so I'm feeling kinda stuck here. I just wanna know if I've lost the account for good since I used a fake card, & if I can get my gift card balance back regardless. Call me cheap, but I'd rather use the card since I (think I) have it.
You have virtually no chance of retrieving your gift card balance and probably will not be able to get an Amazon account in the future when you do have a valid credit card. This is an expensive learning experience. Trying to use a fake credit card with Amazon is like pouring gasoline on a fire. Amazon is very good at picking this up and will blacklist you perhaps for life. There is really no solution to your issue.

Sep 19, 2015
Using a fake card number found online is bad. Some companies may consider that fraud. Most companies do not want customers who do such things.

I realize you are young but you need to understand the ramifications of your behavior.

I doubt Amazon will overlook such an act. It is also naive to think that a massive ecommerce site would not catch the use of a fake credit card number.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Using a fake card number found online is bad. Some companies may consider that fraud. Most companies do not want customers who do such things.

I realize you are young but you need to understand the ramifications of your behavior.

I doubt Amazon will overlook such an act. It is also naive to think that a massive ecommerce site would not catch the use of a fake credit card number.
It's not considered fraud - it IS fraud.

Feb 21, 2019
Unfortunately, not only have you most likely lost the $50 gift card, but you have likely lost the use of Amazon, forever. They will almost certainly close your account and you will not be allowed to open another account, and believe me, they will know if you try it.

Amazon insists on a valid credit card even if you are using a gift card for the full amount of the purchase. This is to help combat money laundering and fraud.

Your friend could have bought the game for you, or you could have asked your parents to buy it using their credit card and the gift card.
Shoot, I never even thought of that. It was late at night & I just wanted to hop onto the game without bothering anyone.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I don't think anyone will be coming by to arrest you ... but Amazon is on a tear to clean up everything about their business, so who knows? You have learned a very important life lesson at very little cost to yourself. Your parents took your credit card(s) because they lost trust in you. Now you've done a dumb thing because you were impatient. We see people lose hundreds or even thousands of dollars because they're impatient. Just don't go there.

Sep 19, 2015
I would not expect it to be easy to get the gift card back. And what would the OP do with a gift card if Amazon has flagged the customer as a problem? And how to explain the issue of the card?

Just something to think about.

Feb 28, 2019
I would recommend that you take one of those financial literacy classes that your local library, college or even bank may offer. This might persuade your parents to allow you to have a debit card. Aside from that, perhaps a pre-loaded credit card.
Either way, next time you have a problem and you think what you're doing is wrong...it probably is, so don't do it.