Amazon Closed My Buyer Account With $1503 Gift Card Balance

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 27, 2016
Yes
Yes
yes
Because its for notifications of items shipped and not calling or so
YES from Kroger and walgreen $900 from kroger and $600 from walgreen
Legally mine
Sending them to a friend of mine
Thanks for the response. I have good friends, but I don't often give them $1000 smartphones as a gift.

I opened the account under the name ricky mayne.... Why do you called it an unverified account?
Because it's not linked to a credit card billing address, or a real US phone number (landline or cellular). I don't have access to the real databases like LEXIS-NEXIS or the CRAs, but a quick pass through Google and some of the people finder services doesn't find any Ricky or Richard Mayne in Alvin, TX.

Aug 16, 2018
It's a question of the overall appearance. If you had a ten year account history with Amazon, had had a credit card on file all that time, and you'd bought a dozen or so items a year, all bought with that credit card, and mostly shipped to your billing address, with an occasional item sent to another address in the US or overseas, and then wanted to purchase an item with a price in line with what you'd spent in the past, and send it to an address in Nigeria, that wouldn't likely raise red flags. Amazon would know who you were, you'd have a track record with them, and the package for Nigeria, while a little unusual, wouldn't create a lot of concern. In this case, though, they have a very short history with you, they don't really know who you are or where you are (gmail account, Google voice number, no credit card on file), and you're sending a very valuable package to an address and person you've never used before (at least at Amazon), in a country that, fairly or not, has a reputation for scamming.

I can certainly see why Amazon would be wary. That said, if you've sent them scans of the gift cards, and the receipts which show that you paid cash for the cards, then, while Amazon doesn't have any obligation to complete your order, they can't just keep your money. As noted upthread, you may need to go the small claims route, or pursue arbitration, as the gift card agreement allows.
I have everything with me here and even the copy of the document I fax to them I've tried uploading on here but received an error.............I attached the document on the claim i file with ATG washington,Texas and also FTC .
I already got a mail from amazon stating that they understand my concern about the issue and was told to give them some time to get back to me with resolution in response to the claim I file with ATG of washington

Jul 27, 2016
They are also worried you are an internet scammer. Scammers deceive victims into purchasing gift cards using cash, and then having the victim photograph the card and receipt and sending it to them. These scams have been largely popular with Nigerian scammers who use the internet.

Some of the signs of a scammer are:
1. Fake English sounding names
2. Use of free email accounts(gmail, yahoo, etc.)
3. Use of free internet phone systems
4. Names not matching up to other names used in scam
5. Large purchases using victim purchased gift cards, that are sent directly overseas

I think Amazon has made the right call here. If not, walk into your local police department and file a report with them, let us know what you find out.
This is pretty much exactly it. Again, I'm not doubting Ricky's honesty here, but these circumstances line up almost perfectly with a scam scenario. I'm sure there are men who like to go jogging in jeans and a sweatshirt, while wearing a balaclava and carrying a woman's purse, but if someone's purse is snatched by a man in a mask, and a cop sees that jogger, he's going to arrest him.

Aug 16, 2018
They are also worried you are an internet scammer. Scammers deceive victims into purchasing gift cards using cash, and then having the victim photograph the card and receipt and sending it to them. These scams have been largely popular with Nigerian scammers who use the internet.

Some of the signs of a scammer are:
1. Fake English sounding names
2. Use of free email accounts(gmail, yahoo, etc.)
3. Use of free internet phone systems
4. Names not matching up to other names used in scam
5. Large purchases using victim purchased gift cards, that are sent directly overseas

I think Amazon has made the right call here. If not, walk into your local police department and file a report with them, let us know what you find out.
Free email account?
If I may ask does an individual make use of a paid email account?
Now here comes another story entirely as everyone has email account either with microsoft, google or others.
FYI I am not using a disposable email address so what's the essence of free email address as I am so sure you use one of these as well

Aug 16, 2018
Thanks for the response. I have good friends, but I don't often give them $1000 smartphones as a gift.

Because it's not linked to a credit card billing address, or a real US phone number (landline or cellular). I don't have access to the real databases like LEXIS-NEXIS or the CRAs, but a quick pass through Google and some of the people finder services doesn't find any Ricky or Richard Mayne in Alvin, TX.

Its linked to a US real phone number which is in my address as we are always asked to provide phone number while filling out shipping address

Jul 27, 2016
I have everything with me here and even the copy of the document I fax to them I've tried uploading on here but received an error.............I attached the document on the claim i file with ATG washington,Texas and also FTC .
I already got a mail from amazon stating that they understand my concern about the issue and was told to give them some time to get back to me with resolution in response to the claim I file with ATG of washington
A couple suggestions that might help:

1. Give them your actual phone number (cellular or landline) and your actual home address.
2. Offer to take a picture of your face with the gift cards (and the numbers visible) to show that you actually have the physical gift cards in your possession.

Basically, think of ways to show Amazon that you are who you say you are.

Feb 16, 2018
Free email account?
Now here comes another story entirely as everyone has email account either with microsoft, google or others.
FYI I am not using a disposable email address so what's the essence of free email address as I am so sure you use one of these as well
You contact your local internet provider, say a Comcast or Mediacom and when you purchase your internet service they provide you with an email account. I don't use a free type account for my main account, which by the way is linked to my Amazon account.

Jul 27, 2016
Its linked to a US real phone number which is in my address as we are always asked to provide phone number while filling out shipping address
So why didn't you use this phone number in your account, and instead used the Google Voice number?

Free email account?
Might I ask (again, these are the sorts of questions that I'm sure are coming up at Amazon) how you chose your gmail address?

Aug 16, 2018
I have just added the so called voice number during the mail I got which gives in details of what I purchased as it was stated in the email to set a notification if i wish so I did click on the link and that was when I added the voice number

Aug 16, 2018
A couple suggestions that might help:

1. Give them your actual phone number (cellular or landline) and your actual home address.
2. Offer to take a picture of your face with the gift cards (and the numbers visible) to show that you actually have the physical gift cards in your possession.

Basically, think of ways to show Amazon that you are who you say you are.

That is a good idea but in the email I received I wasn't asked to do that until they ask me to verify my identity by ID or so

Mar 14, 2018
I opened the account under the name ricky mayne.... Why do you called it an unverified account?
I think everyone has explained the issue to you at length. You don't have to convince us--You have to convince Amazon. You've exhausted all your direct appeals to Amazon. Your best (and probably only) option at this point is to file for arbitration (or in small claims court but that will be harder/more expensive).

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
I am going to close this thread because we have given all the advice we can at this point. If the original poster would like us to re-open the thread once a resolution has been reached we can definitely do that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.