Amazon closed my account no warning with gift balance

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 19, 2017
So I've had my Amazon account for 5 years no problems with many orders . I have a very large gift balance which all were redeemed over 3 years ago (I was selling items in exchange for amazon gift cards) none were fraudulently obtained or anything like that from my knowledge and none I can see were charged back as it shows you in the Amazon gift balance history. Ive literally been ordering items no problems for the past 3 years

Amazon said they would give me a response as the account is on hold however no one has called me or anything. ive called three times.... Here's the email I got. they just keep sending the same email over and over.

We have closed your account and canceled all outstanding orders.

We took these actions because you have submitted invalid gift cards as payment for Amazon.co.uk orders.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We cant help with Amazon gift card issues. Every case we have gotten here has been due to irregular activity and yours seems to be similar. While you may have gotten away with doing business with gift cards in the past, Amazon has been closing accounts lately as they are catching up with them. Apparently it's a violation of their policies.

I recommend you do a search for Amazon gift card problems here and you will see every complaint is similar - all irregular use or obtaining gift cards.

We have not been successful challenging these I am afraid.

Nov 19, 2017
how can a gift card become invalid after 4 years when Ive been ordering fine? and what have i done to violate any policies... no proper response from anyone i just get the same email response

amazon cant just steal my balance without telling me any reason, its beyond disgusting without any reasoning. i will take them to court as its a very large balance.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2016
I'm confused, exactly how have you been racking up a significant gift card balance on Amazon?

You purchase items off Amazon and resell them and turn the payment into gift cards? Can you explain how that works?

The one thing that immediately comes to mind is that you are using a personal account as a business account. I'm wondering if Amazon figured that out and has something in there their toc about that being a violation.

Again, exactly what is it that you were doing?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
how can a gift card become invalid after 4 years when Ive been ordering fine? and what have i done to violate any policies... no proper response from anyone i just get the same email response

amazon cant just steal my balance without telling me any reason, its beyond disgusting without any reasoning. i will take them to court as its a very large balance.
I can't tell you anything except we can't help with Amazon gift card issues because Amazon will not deal with us at all. But not one of the cases that have come here have been normal uses of gift cards. You may have to take them to court.

Nov 19, 2017
i was selling items in exchange for gift cards, was all done in 2012 - 2014. no issues. none were charged back or anything. ive been placing orders fine

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
i was selling items in exchange for gift cards, was all done in 2012 - 2014. no issues.
I am pretty sure that this is against Amazon policy for gift cards. It sounds like in lieu of cash (which you would have to report) you are using gift cards. That can be in violation of IRS tax laws and it does mean you are using the account as a business and not personal account.

And as Realitoes said- you might have been paid with a bad card which opened in investigation into your history.

Again- irregular use of gift cards- talk about red flags. As I said- every complaint we have had has been abnormal use of the cards.

If you avoided paying taxes on items you sold I would think twice about taking them to court. You can open a whole other can of worms.

Here are the gift card terms;

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=3122091

And terms of use:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=footer_cou?ie=UTF8&nodeId=508088

Nov 19, 2017
I am pretty sure that this is against Amazon policy for gift cards. It sounds like in lieu of cash (which you would have to report) you are using gift cards. That can be in violation of IRS tax laws and it does mean you are using the account as a business and not personal account.

And as Realitoes said- you might have been paid with a bad card which opened in investigation into your history.

Again- irregular use of gift cards- talk about red flags. As I said- every complaint we have had has been abnormal use of the cards.

If you avoided paying taxes on items you sold I would think twice about taking them to court. You can open a whole other can of worms.

Here are the gift card terms;

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=3122091

And terms of use:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=footer_cou?ie=UTF8&nodeId=508088
im from the UK and i see no issues of obtaining gift cards in exchange for items as long as nothing was fraudulent. your right about the bad gift card however that does not give them the right to take the whole balance from me...specifically when ive been using the account fine for over 4 years.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
im from the UK and i see no issues of obtaining gift cards in exchange for items as long as nothing was fraudulent. your right about the bad gift card however that does not give them the right to take the whole balance from me...specifically when ive been using the account fine for over 4 years.
Yes it does. If you read the second link it states they can close your account at any time.

I'm sorry but we can't do anything else to assist with this. We don't handle gift card problems.

All we can suggest is you use our company contacts and go up the executive chain- one by one - and see if one can help or give you the answers you need. You likely had someone give you a bad gift card and when
you used it your account was flagged, reviewed and closed.

http://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/amazon/

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I think it would be beneficial if you carefully read the Terms & Conditions under which your Amazon account functioned. Gift cards are for giving to people in lieu of a real wrapped gift tied with a ribbon. Huge amounts of chatter on how to game the system with gift cards, earning loyalty points for example by "manufactured spend". Gift cards are often mentioned.

Unless you purchase a gift card to give to someone as a gift, you're playing with fire. Based on what we've seen here, I think they can close your account and keep your money/gift cards.

R

Realitoes

Why would you accept gift cards in lieu of cash? What is the advantage? As I see it, there is no upside to this, and a lot of downside. You have no protection if somebody uses a card that was obtained fraudulently.

Based on similar cases of this posted on this site and others, many companies will not respond after closing an account where there was a hint of fraudulent activity. In the end, you will probably need to seek legal advice as to how to retrieve your funds.

Even if you are able to obtain the funds, Amazon will probably not do business with you in the future, and any other accounts you open with them may be subject to closure and forfeiture of any funds.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Why would you accept gift cards in lieu of cash? What is the advantage? .
To avoid showing income, or if the transactions are for large amounts of money, funneling money illegally. This is precisely why there is no warning - when possible illegal activities occurring, Amazon is not messing around with this - they will stop it.

This is yet again another instance of gift cards being used improperly - and every single complaint we've had here about accounts being closed were all the same. The writers were playing with the cards and not using them properly - as is the case here.

Sep 19, 2015

Amazon told you the reason-- that you ordered from the U.K. site with invalid gift cards.

Only two things come to mind when someone asks to be paid in gift cards -- scam ( recent scam in the US where people sell a car for a low amount --of course a rush with an excuse like military deployment --and not allowing a test drive but pay please in amazon gift cards) or tax evasion. Most people want to be paid in cash as that is what pays the rent/mortgage.

I could easily pay someone with an amazon gift card --and then having kept a copy of the number -- use it to pay another person later. That is how someone could not know that they are trying to pay with a used gift card.

The email indicates that it is invalid cards (plural)