Amazon closed my account and has my mom's $900 in gift cards

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 20, 2018
I have 3 buying accounts. One for personal, one for business and one I use to order for my family members. I do it this way so I can just print my enire order history for taxes. One of those accounts was hacked and my husband disputed the charge w/ the credit card company. I think this is what caused all accounts to be closed. The charge was for less than $100. I would pay the dang $100 to get my mom's $900 back.

Anyway, I loaded 2 gift cards my mom bought at Krogers (in person, I have the receipts and the cards). She doesn't have credit cards and wanted to order Christmas gifts off amazon. I received an email that the cards were fraudulent. I provided proof that they were real. I have been given the run around for 6 days, automated emails and phone reps refuse to get a supervisor. The account is closed, nothing more has been offered.

How can I get my mom's money back?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We have seen Amazon accounts suspended when people have more than one account.

There was just a show on our local news about these gift cards and how scammers can perpetrate fraud with them. They have a way to obtain the card numbers and they have a way to scratch off the codes and replace the scratch off piece. They wait and watch when the cards are activated and turn drain them. It’s enough to sour you in using huff cards at all.

You probably won’t get that money back unless you can get your account re-opened IF it was closed in error.

Use our company contacts and starting writing. Create an email trail. Start at Customer Service and give them a week to reply. If they don’t or you get no, write to the first executive. Give it a week and if no reply, write to the next, etc.

This post tells you how to effectively write.

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

Amazon doesn’t work with us on cases involving these issues so beyond advising you to write, there’s nothing else we can do,

Sep 19, 2015
Someone likely copied the gift cards and spent the money. Or the barcode was fake on the back. Amazon did not steal the gift card balance they are telling you that there is something wrong with the cards you bought. Or they may be completely counterfeit gift cards.

Have you thought of contacted Kroger to get the money back? Since Amazon did not sell the cards they may not refund the money.

Amazon contacts may help with opening the closed amazon accounts. But I think you need to address this with each merchant.

Good luck thieves are out in force this time of year.

Dec 20, 2018
We have seen Amazon accounts suspended when people have more than one account.

There was just a show on our local news about these gift cards and how scammers can perpetrate fraud with them. They have a way to obtain the card numbers and they have a way to scratch off the codes and replace the scratch off piece. They wait and watch when the cards are activated and turn drain them. It’s enough to sour you in using huff cards at all.

You probably won’t get that money back unless you can get your account re-opened IF it was closed in error.

Use our company contacts and starting writing. Create an email trail. Start at Customer Service and give them a week to reply. If they don’t or you get no, write to the first executive. Give it a week and if no reply, write to the next, etc.

This post tells you how to effectively write.

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

Amazon doesn’t work with us on cases involving these issues so beyond advising you to write, there’s nothing else we can do,
Thank you, I will try this.

Dec 20, 2018
I received a new email. First my addresses were to blame, then the gift cards were fraudulent, now it's the account being linked to the account that had a charge back. There's nothing wrong w/ the giftcards, it's the chargeback. I didn't make the purchase nor receive the product but I'd rather pay the >$100 to get the $900 back. I suspect that even if I pay for the chargeback, amazon won't release the $900.

My biggest issue is this was not my money, the gift cards were purchased by my mom to buy Christmas gifts. Since the money was not mine, is there any recourse?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Do you did a chargeback on one of your other accounts? This is a process we’ve seen before- if there is a problem with one account, all other related accounts are closed.

And from past issues- the gift cards are not refunded. There are many cases you can read about here.

Again, we can only advise you to use our company contacts and appeal to the Executives . We have seen a handful of cases that were corrected by writing to Executives if the accounts were mistakenly closed.