Amazon closed my account after sending necessary documents

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 22, 2019
Good day,

I am a buyer on Amazon. I was trying to purchase a phone through Amazon but I have to add my debit card because my gift card balance is not enough. After purchasing I got an email from Amazon that they could not verify my billing address that I should send my debit card statement with my billing address to them. This is true because I have changed location because of job

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Did you send it to them? They have to verify your address and that you are who you say you are.

This shouldn’t be a problem- send it to them. You are located in Nigeria which is a major place that gift and credit card fraud occurs in. They have to make sure you are the legal owner of the debit card.

May 22, 2019
I have sent it to them last week but I got a message yesterday that my account has been closed that it was Related to another close before. But when u checked my account and asked customer service they told me it's still just locked . So I sent another email asking them to look further into it. So I got an email today asking me to send documents to verify my billing address. I have sent this before I don't know why they are asking again .

May 22, 2019
No. This is my first ever Amazon account. After I sent a mail that I don't have previous account. They sent another email that I should fax my billing address. I have already done this before I don't why they are still asking for it again

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You sent them a copy of your bank statement showing the address in Nigeria is the address you are using on the account?

Use our company contacts and see if you can get a better answer
https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/amazon/

Were you using Amazon gift cards? Did you purchase them yourself or did someone send them to you? Were you buying a phone on Amazon or trying to use Amazon gift cards to buy thevphine outside of Amazon?

You'll have to go it alone as Amazon doesn't respond to us on these type of cases. Good luck, let us know how you make out.

May 22, 2019
Note my account is not closed, its locked. My billing address and shipping address is the same. My billing address was different before because I changed location but I have gone to the bank to update it and I have sent it to them. They didn't send a mail that anything is wrong with my gift card. It's just the billing address and I have gone to rectify that

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Ok then it’s not closed as your title of the post says.
You need to send them proper documentation of your new address. You are located in a county that has a huge amount of fraud going through it. If you can’t provide solid proof you live at the address you changed they will not unlock the account.
If they aren’t unlocking it then they aren’t satisfied with what you sent them.

Use our contacts and write.

Oct 31, 2016
I have a couple of questions if possible, How long have you had the account for? Where did you get the Gift cards from? Why does there seem to be a lot of "gift card" issues, that have weird circumstances? i.e. "have to send in debit card statement". Kinda weird that somehow the closed account is related to another account. Ok I will just say it, if it looks like a cat, sounds like a cat, walks like a cat, takes and hides things like a cat, its a cat. seems all this is related to fraud. hmmmm

May 22, 2019
The account is just a month old.like I posted earlier, my billing address was wrong because I changed my location cos of job. The name, phone number, email is the same on my debit card and Amazon account. I have gone to my bank to update my billing address to my new house address. But it seems you people just assume anyone from Nigeria is a fraudster . So that's why everyone is just saying it seems as fraud. If I had known the billing address is an issue I would have updated before using it on Amazon. Thanks

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You are absolutely correct that just because you are located in Nigeria but Amazon is looking at your account and most likely because of the location.
Use our company contacts and write to them and ask them to correct the address. Tell them you se t the required information and haven’t heard anything. Start with the first executive listed. Here is how to escalate it:
https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

Let us know how you make out.

Jun 27, 2017
It seems that almost every one of these queries for help in the Elliott forums involves a locked or closed Amazon account, a billing address mix-up, an Amazon gift card, a debit card used to make a purchase, and one or more Amazon accounts. And the people seeking help predominantly seem to reside in Nigeria. I'm not saying Fatai is a fraudster ... but he opened his account only a month ago, changed his address, tried to buy a phone (it also seems electronics are the most common purchase), didn't have enough on his gift card to buy the phone and tried to use his debit card. Again, where and when was the Amazon gift card purchased?

May 22, 2019
The gift card was purchased by my friend doing her master's in the state, I didn't change my address. The address on my debit card is from school years ago. I don't know Amazon have a rule against this. So when I got the email I went to my bank to update the address to my new house address. I have faxed this twice to Amazon but my account hasn't been unlocked

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The gift card was purchased by my friend doing her master's in the state, I didn't change my address. The address on my debit card is from school years ago. I don't know Amazon have a rule against this. So when I got the email I went to my bank to update the address to my new house address. I have faxed this twice to Amazon but my account hasn't been unlocked
You cannot have someone else buying the card for you. WHY did you have someone else buy the card?
And this is why they closed your account. This is a what Amazon is seeing as scamming - someone else buying the card for you. This isn't how an Amazon gift card works. YOU buy the card yourself, not someone else doing it for you. That violates their rules and why they blocked your account.

Were you trying to buy a phone on Amazon or outside of Amazon? Amazon only allow their gift cards to be used for Amazon purchases.

This is exactly the same way that the other accounts you read about being locked are run. Always someone else buying a card for someone.
Frankly, I don't see them re-opening your account due to this. And knowing the situation now, there isn't anything else we can do to help you.

Mar 14, 2018
You cannot have someone else buying the card for you. WHY did you have someone else buy the card?
And this is why they closed your account. This is a what Amazon is seeing as scamming - someone else buying the card for you. This isn't how an Amazon gift card works. YOU buy the card yourself, not someone else doing it for you. That violates their rules and why they blocked your account.

Were you trying to buy a phone on Amazon or outside of Amazon? Amazon only allow their gift cards to be used for Amazon purchases.

This is exactly the same way that the other accounts you read about being locked are run. Always someone else buying a card for someone.
Frankly, I don't see them re-opening your account due to this. And knowing the situation now, there isn't anything else we can do to help you.

Whoa, this is not accurate. It is a gift card--Its entire purpose is to be given to someone else as a gift. There is absolutely nothing in Amazon's terms and conditions that prohibits this. Most of the issues we see are people are buying gift cards from third parties or when the pattern of gift card purchases/deposits appears to be money laundering.

To be fair to Amazon, there is a lot of fraud associated with gift cards being sent to Nigeria. Amazon is pretty good at detecting it and aggressive about shutting down accounts. It's quite possible that some innocent users are caught in the system.

Amazon does "reserve the right to require additional verification of your identity, Gift Card or account ownership, or provision of an additional payment instrument, before you are able to apply a Gift Card to your account or your Amazon.com Balance to a purchase. " It sounds like this is what you are caught up in.

Assuming you are innocent, don't give up. Clean up your bank addresses and send Amazon the information they've requested. You may have to try a couple times. You can also try to write the executives listed on this website, although I'm not sure we've ever seen this work.

If nothing else works, you can ask to have your dispute arbitrated. Directions for how to do this are in the Amazon terms and conditions under "disputes".

May 22, 2019

It's called gift card. I am purchasing on Amazon not outside Amazon. It seems you have something against Nigerians using Amazon. If Amazon are not delivering to Nigeria I won't go there to buy. If I want to scam I won't use my real name and even send them my international passport as proof. But your mind is already made up on Nigerians so I have nothing to say to you

May 22, 2019
Whoa, this is not accurate. It is a gift card--Its entire purpose is to be given to someone else as a gift. There is absolutely nothing in Amazon's terms and conditions that prohibits this. Most of the issues we see are people are buying gift cards from third parties or when the pattern of gift card purchases/deposits appears to be money laundering.

To be fair to Amazon, there is a lot of fraud associated with gift cards being sent to Nigeria. Amazon is pretty good at detecting it and aggressive about shutting down accounts. It's quite possible that some innocent users are caught in the system.

Amazon does "reserve the right to require additional verification of your identity, Gift Card or account ownership, or provision of an additional payment instrument, before you are able to apply a Gift Card to your account or your Amazon.com Balance to a purchase. " It sounds like this is what you are caught up in.

Assuming you are innocent, don't give up. Clean up your bank addresses and send Amazon the information they've requested. You may have to try a couple times. You can also try to write the executives listed on this website, although I'm not sure we've ever seen this work.

If nothing else works, you can ask to have your dispute arbitrated. Directions for how to do this are in the Amazon terms and conditions under "disputes".

Thank you so much . You are the only one that said something nice on this forum. Even if I dont get my account unlocked at least I have tried . Sometimes you fail to learn . Thanks and I appreciate

Apr 3, 2016
I do not think anyone is trying to be mean, but reality is most of the problems recently encountered with Amazon accounts on these forums have been for accounts out of Nigeria.
For the future, if you have another friend who is so generous to give you hundreds of dollars, tell them gift cards are an issue and that the cash is better. A lot of the problem amazon accounts here are closed due to high gift card values. Why do people buy high value gift cards in the USA and then not use them until they get home? Why not just use the money at home to buy things and not get the gift card in the first place?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Thank you so much . You are the only one that said something nice on this forum. Even if I dont get my account unlocked at least I have tried . Sometimes you fail to learn . Thanks and I appreciate
Please use the contacts I posted above and use the post I gave you to escalate to the Executives at Amazon and hopefully you will get this straightened out. It should be an easy fix if it is just a minor address change that the executives can get corrected.

Have you written to the first executive yet?