Amazon Account Suspended, asking to verify gift card purchase.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 17, 2019
The non-profit gave me $75 in Amazon gift cards for getting a bunch of rewards for graduating before last summer. After trying to buy something with it, my account stopped working. After contacting support, I learned my account was suspended and i had to provide the recipe of the gift cards I used. Which is something I cant do, because they brought at least 25 Amazon gift cards and it s not like they kept the info of each card on a doc, and I lost my cards that were used because it was such a long time ago. Basically, I cant provide the recipe on the cards i used. Is there any way i can activate my account again and keep my gift card balance?

Mar 23, 2015
Have you asked the people who gave it to you if they DO have any receipts? It's quite possible, even probable, that as a non-profit they Do keep all those types of records for tax purposes. It can't hurt to ask. Frankly, IMHO, Amazon is getting wayyyy too big for their britches. They've gotten to the point where they're shutting down virtually any use of gift cards that is the least bit out of the ordinary in their algorithmic opinion. What were you trying to buy, and where are you located/the purchase originating?

Sep 19, 2015
Have you asked the people who gave it to you if they DO have any receipts? It's quite possible, even probable, that as a non-profit they Do keep all those types of records for tax purposes. It can't hurt to ask. Frankly, IMHO, Amazon is getting wayyyy too big for their britches. They've gotten to the point where they're shutting down virtually any use of gift cards that is the least bit out of the ordinary in their algorithmic opinion. What were you trying to buy, and where are you located/the purchase originating?
I agree the not for profit likely does have records, they have to keep track of expenditures. If the not for profit bought the gift cards from a retailer where the packaging is out in the open the card number may have already been used.

I am going to have to respectfully disagree with the Amazon and gift card issue. The algorithms are aggressive but I do think there is a reason for that. Some gift cards are like a global currency -- amazon, itunes, google play --- and this has made them a target for scammers. It is so easy for someone to steal from another person online without leaving their living room. And the scams keep continuing --I have received several of those scam robocalls -- allegedly from the IRS saying a warrant is out for my arrest --- and how do these scammers all want to get paid -- by gift card.

Additionally there are more anti money laundering concerns targeting gift cards -- which is one reason that Amazon does not want gift cards to be used to buy gift cards.

Gift cards have turned into a minefield -- theft, money laundering, fraud -- and I am not surprised that Amazon is being tough -- it has nothing to do with being too "big for their britches". How many complaints here involve gift cards bought in the US, redeemed by an overseas buyer, and it involves Amazon versus a grocery store?

Mar 23, 2015
@Christina H: I completely agree with everything you said, there is a lot of fraud. But I still argue (respectfully :) of course) that Amazon has gotten too big for their britches, when they refuse to give legitimate customers assistance or concrete reasons for closing accounts and confiscating funds. When they refuse to give back funds to people who have receipts and can prove they made legitimate gift card purchases. or received them as legitimated gifts, etc... When they can basically confiscate funds on any little "suspicion" only, with no proof of illicit activity... That's what I'm talking about when I say "too big for their britches". When they feel free to crush anyone smaller than they are with impunity simply because they can. So they do. People who have done nothing wrong get caught in their algorithms and are essentially provided with no one to talk to, other than scripted chat bots. No answers other than form letters that say "we suspect fraud, and we're closing your account, too bad we will not communicate further on this matter" etc... THAT is wrong. That is unethical and THAT is what I refer to when I say they have become too big for their britches. because we see a lot of THOSE complaints on this forum, as well and I feel for those consumers.

Jun 24, 2019
@Christina H: I completely agree with everything you said, there is a lot of fraud. But I still argue (respectfully :) of course) that Amazon has gotten too big for their britches, when they refuse to give legitimate customers assistance or concrete reasons for closing accounts and confiscating funds. When they refuse to give back funds to people who have receipts and can prove they made legitimate gift card purchases. or received them as legitimated gifts, etc... When they can basically confiscate funds on any little "suspicion" only, with no proof of illicit activity... That's what I'm talking about when I say "too big for their britches". When they feel free to crush anyone smaller than they are with impunity simply because they can. So they do. People who have done nothing wrong get caught in their algorithms and are essentially provided with no one to talk to, other than scripted chat bots. No answers other than form letters that say "we suspect fraud, and we're closing your account, too bad we will not communicate further on this matter" etc... THAT is wrong. That is unethical and THAT is what I refer to when I say they have become too big for their britches. because we see a lot of THOSE complaints on this forum, as well and I feel for those consumers.

I would not come to this conclusion without first hearing Amazon's side. Since we can't compel Amazon to visit here, all we can do is advise visitors how to advocate.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I believe if the OP had his or her own credit card on file this wouldn’t be an issue. I’ve never had an issue redeeming an Amazon gift card because I use Amazon all the time and have a card in file. And the LBNY gift cards I redeem are ones givens as reasonable gifts.

OP, you’ll have to write to Amazon yourself because they don’t respond to us.

Here is exactly how to write:

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/sticky-amazon-gift-card-issues-for-self-advocacy-only.10317/

Oct 17, 2019
Thank you, I could ask for the receipts but I lost the gift cards that I used and I doubt the non profit organization kept track of the card ID if amazon manages to send me the IDs of the cards redeemed. Even if I manage to do all this, it would probably take a good month or so. I guess the $40 Amazon card I got for my birthday a few days ago is just a glorified piece of cardboard for the mean while.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Thank you, I could ask for the receipts but I lost the gift cards that I used and I doubt the non profit organization kept track of the card ID if amazon manages to send me the IDs of the cards redeemed. Even if I manage to do all this, it would probably take a good month or so. I guess the $40 Amazon card I got for my birthday a few days ago is just a glorified piece of cardboard for the mean while.
I'm confused by your continuing thought that the organization didn't keep track properly. You should ask them! Explain what happened and maybe someone there knows a good avenue for you to explore.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Do you have a credit card attached to your account? One of the problems is without that Amazon cannot verify who you are - they need something to verify that you have a bank account or credit to make purchases even if you are using gift cards.

Sep 19, 2015
not for profits have to keep careful records to as to prove they are not using the resources for themselves. Please do check with them they may have the records.