Amazon account locked ,holding my gift card balance

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 17, 2017
Hi

My account has been locked by amazon.I am in India and I am trying to order an IPhone 8 for 810 USD.Apart from the product cost there is also import fees ,taxes and express shipping charge and total came up to 1185USD .I had a gift card worth 900 USD that I added to my gift card balance and there is an amount of 285 USD that I tried paying with my credit card ,for credit card verification I was asked to submit my credit card statement ,which I did but each time amazon’s account verification dept replies with same email saying we could not process your order.I am sick and tired of sending them attachments and submitting required credit card statements online.I have sent the details 5 times already and they are asking for them again and again .
My concern is now the $900 gift card balance that I have in my account,not only they are holding my order and account,they are also holding my $900 gift card balance too.
After spending hours on phone with their customer support I never got any concrete answer.

I have purchased another gift card of 300 USD to make the rest of the payment so I don’t have to use my credit card at all,since my account is locked I am unable to even add the gift card to my balance.I feel stuck and helpless ,I understand they may have difficulties processing credit cards from overseas but I expect them to at least unlock my account so I can complete my order by paying the entire thing with gift card.

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
We have had very little luck in dealing with Amazon gift cards and Amazon closing an account. There is usually something Amazon sees that makes them think something suspicious is going on. Please read through the threads listed below.

http://forum.elliott.org/forums/amazon.83/

You may write the Company Contacts listed above for Amazon and see if they can help you. If you decide to go that route, do not start at the top and don't write all the contacts at once. Start at the bottom and wait a week to ten days between each contact. Good luck.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
George is right. Every single case we have had here with Amazon locking gift cards I don’t think was anything other than someone either buying them from a third party site, using Bitcoin, or excessive returns. None of these were ever picked because the cards were purchased directly from Amazon.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
Online purchase from what internet site?
I’m not sure this is relevant at this point.
I believe he said the account was locked when he attempted to pay remaining amount ($285) with his credit card, well before he bought another gift card to solve the problem.
Now he can’t even attempt to use the new gift card with the original gift card as his original $900 gift card is locked into the iPhone purchase.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
When you buy these cards from 3rd party sites, the person selling them has all the info they need to redeem these themselves after you have paid for them- they have the card and PIN number.

There is also a scam going on everyone should be aware of that also puts buying these from 3rd party sites in danger:

http://forum.elliott.org/threads/gift-card-fraud.7308/

If you find yourself innocently involved with one of these cards- you won’t get your money back. We have not been successful in getting these type of cases resolved, I’m sorry to say.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
@Ankit - - if you were me, you would cancel the purchase at amazon and then start the purchase again using the 2 gift cards. This is assuming you are sure that the gift cards you have are valid and have no issues attached to them.

@Ankit - - if you were me, you would cancel the purchase at amazon and then start the purchase again using the 2 gift cards. This is assuming you are sure that the gift cards you have are valid and have no issues attached to them.
not sure how he can cancel the purchase since his account is locked and he does not have access to it any longer based on what he has said.

Dec 17, 2017
Thanks to all for sharing your feedbacks and suggestions .My gift card for $900 is an Amazon.com purchase by a friend and $300 is a store purchase from Walgreens in Miami florida

This morning my account somehow got unlocked and I applied the new $300 gift card to my balance so I could pay the entire thing with my gift card balance .I was all excited and relieved after successfully placing the order .However after a few hours I received another email saying my account is on hold again and this time they asked me to send receipts of the gift cards purchased on their secured fax line ,which by the way I have done 8 times already,finally I received another email stating my account has been closed as it's linked with another account which was closed back in past.I was foolish enough to upload my $300 gift card as well to the wallet .Now I am a proud Amazon customer whose $1200 are sitting in an account held by the Amazon itself .

I have never been an Amazon customer in past and now looking at their amazing customer service I have no interested in being one now .Anyway ,I feel stuck now as I don't have no idea what am i suppose to do and whome should I approach .

I think the WHITEHOUSE doesn't even have such security checks the way these xxxxxxxxxhave .Excuse me for swearing.

Last edited by a moderator:

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
The gift card you used has been compromised somehow. Your friend may or may not know about it. Why didn't you purchase the gift card directly? Compromised gift cards are an ever-growing issue and Amazon takes no prisoners, they just lock the accounts of anyone they think might be doing something wrong. I believe there's little you can do except keep asking for your account to be unlocked.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The gift card you used has been compromised somehow. Your friend may or may not know about it. Why didn't you purchase the gift card directly? Compromised gift cards are an ever-growing issue and Amazon takes no prisoners, they just lock the accounts of anyone they think might be doing something wrong. I believe there's little you can do except keep asking for your account to be unlocked.
The friend might also have had his own account locked or problems with Amazon - if that has happened and our writers account is affiliated through the gift card - he won't get his account back. We've seen a few of these issues right here.

Dec 17, 2017
My friend's account is perfectly fine ,she has sent me the receipt of the purchase of the card and I am the only one who has access to the gift cards ,once applied to an account the gift cards are pretty much useless as they cannot be reused or returned for refund etc ,I have already forwarded the receipts to Amazon 3-4 times on their fax line however they keep on sending me the same email saying please send the receipts on our fax line .That's so not done by a company like Amazon .I have submitted every goddamn document they have asked for .Seems they are holding my money deliberately now .

Dec 17, 2017
I had no intentions of purchasing a product from Amazon nor I have used Amazon in past but since gift cards are meant for gifting purpose also my friend had gifted me this gift card thinking I could use it on Indian Amazon website but I could not . I thought of buying something from amazon.com and as they have so many security checks so I failed each time.Now my friend can't even ask for a refund of these gift cards or file a dispute on her credit card as these cards are already applied on my freaking account.
This feels like we are wasting money and time on money which we've lost already .

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We have company contacts on top of our page. I suggest using them to write to the Executives at Amazon and tell them you have repeatedly sent the docs they asked for. Start with the lowest and give them a week to reply before moving up.

So you are saying your friend just have this to you? And she purchased it through
Amazon?

Do any of these restrictions apply?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201138990

Jul 27, 2016
Just so we can be crystal clear on the issue here:

1. Did your friend buy the Amazon gift card directly from amazon.com? If not, where did he or she purchase it?
2. Did your friend give you the gift card, or did you compensate him or her for it?

Jan 11, 2017
The reason Amazon might have stricter security rule than the White House (???), that you can not steal money form the White House, but Amazon/Amazon costumers lose millions of dollars from gift card scams.
You mentioned, that this is your first business with Amazon. Ok, so from a new account with Indian adress, Indian credit card the first order is for a $1000 + order, with Indian delivery address, paid by $900 Amazon card gifted from one person, and $300 Amazon gift card from a Florida Walmart. (If you live in India, how did you buy the gift card in Florida? If you live in Florida, why sending the IPhone to India?)
I do not question the legality of your claims, I just wanted to show the many red flags that might have came up during verification.
Amazon processes millions of transactions daily. First (second/third, etc.) verification made by computers. You are 'corresponding' with computers.

While it is really hard to get solution form Amazon, even here, on Elliott forum you can find success stories - from much worst cases as you have.