Am I due flight compensation for getting bumped.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 27, 2017
I have been in contact with a delta rep, and received compensation for food and lodging , but haven't gotten an answer on flight compensation.

Here is what happened:
When I checked in online on Feb. 9th 2017, I received a notice that they were looking for volunteers to take a different flight home.
We were interested in that, but the notice mentioned to talk to the check-in agent at the airport.

So we decided to wait until we arrive at the airport on Feb 10th.

On Feb 10th as we were checking out of our hotel, I received a couple of flight delay email notifications. The 1st email stated, the flight was delayed 1/2 hour.
I mentioned to my wife that will make it tight to make our connecting flight.

The 2nd email said the flight was delayed another 1/2 hr. Now the arrival time was after our connecting
flight would have left.

I had the hotel concierge call delta. As we sat at the check-out desk at the hotel, I receive another email notification that our flight was currently being re-booked.

Then the email came that showed we were re-booked for Saturday Feb 11th.
Right after the email came, we got an agent on the phone stating we were re-booked.

There was no mention about compensation for getting bumped by Delta.
At the time we were concerned about finding a room for the night,
since the room we just checked out of was booked that night.

We didn't think of asking about any compensation. since we were in the lobby of the hotel when we got bumped, we never went to the airport on Feb. 10th.

The hotel was able to accommodate us for 1 more night.
I believe we are entitled to flight vouchers for my wife and I for $600 to be used within 1 year.
Does it matter if we were at the airport counter or the hotel lobby when this happened ?

Michelle Couch-Friedman

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Sep 19, 2015
What was the reason that Delta gave you for your "schedule change?" That is the important part of your story...and makes the difference in terms of compensation.

Mar 27, 2017
What was the reason that Delta gave you for your "schedule change?" That is the important part of your story...and makes the difference in terms of compensation.
There wasn't a reason given.
this is from the email -
There's been an update to your departure time.
WE ARE IN THE PROCESS OF REBOOKING YOUR AFFECTED FLIGHTS.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I have been in contact with a delta rep, and received compensation for food and lodging , but haven't gotten an answer on flight compensation.

Here is what happened:
When I checked in online on Feb. 9th 2017, I received a notice that they were looking for volunteers to take a different flight home.
We were interested in that, but the notice mentioned to talk to the check-in agent at the airport.

So we decided to wait until we arrive at the airport on Feb 10th.

On Feb 10th as we were checking out of our hotel, I received a couple of flight delay email notifications. The 1st email stated, the flight was delayed 1/2 hour.
I mentioned to my wife that will make it tight to make our connecting flight.

The 2nd email said the flight was delayed another 1/2 hr. Now the arrival time was after our connecting
flight would have left.

I had the hotel concierge call delta. As we sat at the check-out desk at the hotel, I receive another email notification that our flight was currently being re-booked.

Then the email came that showed we were re-booked for Saturday Feb 11th.
Right after the email came, we got an agent on the phone stating we were re-booked.

There was no mention about compensation for getting bumped by Delta.
At the time we were concerned about finding a room for the night,
since the room we just checked out of was booked that night.

We didn't think of asking about any compensation. since we were in the lobby of the hotel when we got bumped, we never went to the airport on Feb. 10th.

The hotel was able to accommodate us for 1 more night.
I believe we are entitled to flight vouchers for my wife and I for $600 to be used within 1 year.
Does it matter if we were at the airport counter or the hotel lobby when this happened ?
If you had done this at the airport they should have given you a voucher for a hotel a meals.

You aren't due vouchers for your flight. The airlines have to do one of two things- rebook you on their next available flight or provide you with a refund. They filled their responsibility by rebooking you the next day.

From what you write, your flight wasn't overbooked it ended up being cancelled. You need to know why it is as canceled and as long as it wasn't for weather they should reimburse you for the hotel (or possibly part of the hotel- if they give out voucher they are usually discounted hotel prices).

I suggest you use our company contacts on top of the page and write a letter to Delta stating the flight date and numbers and tell rhem you'd like to be reimbursed for the hotel. Give them a week to reply and find out why the flight was canceled.

Let us know what they say.

Michelle Couch-Friedman

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Sep 19, 2015
The question is whether he was bumped off the original flight. His flight wasn't canceled, it was delayed and that made the possibility of making his connecting flight seem unlikely. So Delta rebooked him on a different flight before speaking to him. I have contacted Delta on his behalf so we will see what Delta says

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The question is whether he was bumped off the original flight. His flight wasn't canceled, it was delayed and that made the possibility of making his connecting flight seem unlikely. So Delta rebooked him on a different flight before speaking to him. I have contacted Delta on his behalf so we will see what Delta says
Thanks Michelle. I think I was totally lost as the explanations kept going on.