Am I due compensation from American under EU Law?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 1, 2019
@SeniorTraveler as your delay was between 3 - 4 hours and the distance greater than 3500 km, you may still be due cash compensation under EC261, depending on the reason for the delay. For 4 or more hours the compensation is 600 Euros, for 3 or more it is 300 Euros.

Our recommendation is to write AA and request your compensation, specifically mentioning EC261. The airline is required to either pay or provide you a reason they are denying the request. If the airline denies the compensation or does not respond to your request within 6 weeks, you can submit a complaint to the National Enforcement Body in France, who can determine if compensation was properly denied.

You can submit your request via AA's online form (select Consumer relations/complaint/delayed canceled flight):

https://www.aa.com/contact/forms?topic=CR#/

Give them 2 weeks to respond, then start using our company contacts to appeal further for a response using the guidance in the following post:

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/
I've just received a reply from AA Customers Relations. They apologized for the delay and offered me a monetary payment of 300EUR or a travel voucher for 400USD. Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought I read in your forum that if offered a travel voucher or cash it's best to take the cash so I'm taking the 300EUR. Thank you so much for your advice!

Aug 1, 2019
Always better to take cash unless you will be flying very soon and the voucher is significantly higher than cash amount.
I've actually booked and been ticketed for flights for a trip I'm taking in March. I used my miles for the return flight and paid for the outbound ticket. The voucher is less than the price of the ticket.

Aug 17, 2018
YES! As goofy as it sounds, pax are required to report in as though they hadn't been made aware of the delay. Apparently a miracle happens every once in a while and the plane takes off only a little late. So why these text messages are sent out, I cannot imagine. One of those technology things I suppose ... "There's nothing you should do about it, we just send text messages on delays and cancellations because we can".
The messages are sent out so you'll know the flight is likely to be late. For example if someone is meeting you at your destination, you can let them know, so they won't need to head out to the airport prematurely. Sometimes situations do clear up sooner than estimated. If it is mechanical, maybe the fix happens quicker than expected or they find another aircraft available. If it's weather, maybe it clears sooner than anticipated. If it's crew rest, maybe they assign another crew. There are lots of moving pieces. I want the best possible information at all times. Send me those text messages.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
The messages are sent out so you'll know the flight is likely to be late. For example if someone is meeting you at your destination, you can let them know, so they won't need to head out to the airport prematurely. Sometimes situations do clear up sooner than estimated. If it is mechanical, maybe the fix happens quicker than expected or they find another aircraft available. If it's weather, maybe it clears sooner than anticipated. If it's crew rest, maybe they assign another crew. There are lots of moving pieces. I want the best possible information at all times. Send me those text messages.
They are probably required by law to send the messages as someone probably previously complained about ‘not knowing’ and not being able to make other plans, blah blah.