Am I due compensation from American under EU Law?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 1, 2019
My American Airlines flight from Paris to Chicago was delayed over four hours. My flight was initially scheduled to leave CDG airport July 24, 2019, at 12:10 p.m. On the day of departure, I received an alert stating the departure time was pushed back to 1:16 p.m. Minutes later I received an alert stating departure time was pushed back to 4:35 p.m. Because I had pre-paid for shuttle pickup at the hotel and the driver was en route to the hotel when I received the second alert, I could not get a refund or reschedule the pickup due to the shuttle service's 24 hour cancellation notice. The shuttle service picked me up at 8:30 a.m. and I sat at the airport until American began boarding at 4:00 p.m. American provided sandwiches, chips, and bottled water at 1:00 p.m. for those booked on the Chicago flight. I promptly emailed American's customer relations describing the situation and requested compensation under the EU law due to the long delay. I received a reference number after sending my correspondence and as of today, August 1, 2019, I have not received a response to my inquiry. I have never had to request compensation from an airline for any reason and I'd like to know if I should take this up American's corporate ladder if I have not received an answer after the allotted days (5-10 business days)? Thank you.

johnbaker

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2014
@SeniorTraveler Two things under EU261... Duty of care, which they provided in the form of food etc at 1:00 PM and potentially compensation. Compensation is driven by the reason for the delay and the length of the delay (based on when you arrive). What time were you supposed to arrive and what time did you arrive?

Sep 19, 2015
My American Airlines flight from Paris to Chicago was delayed over four hours. My flight was initially scheduled to leave CDG airport July 24, 2019, at 12:10 p.m. On the day of departure, I received an alert stating the departure time was pushed back to 1:16 p.m. Minutes later I received an alert stating departure time was pushed back to 4:35 p.m. Because I had pre-paid for shuttle pickup at the hotel and the driver was en route to the hotel when I received the second alert, I could not get a refund or reschedule the pickup due to the shuttle service's 24 hour cancellation notice. The shuttle service picked me up at 8:30 a.m. and I sat at the airport until American began boarding at 4:00 p.m. American provided sandwiches, chips, and bottled water at 1:00 p.m. for those booked on the Chicago flight. I promptly emailed American's customer relations describing the situation and requested compensation under the EU law due to the long delay. I received a reference number after sending my correspondence and as of today, August 1, 2019, I have not received a response to my inquiry. I have never had to request compensation from an airline for any reason and I'd like to know if I should take this up American's corporate ladder if I have not received an answer after the allotted days (5-10 business days)? Thank you.
As Neil wrote a lot depends on the reason for the delay -- things like air traffic control are not covered. I would wait out the full 10 days for a response and it may take more,

As an aside it was better that you went to the airport in time for the scheduled flight -- sometimes flights can be undelayed and revert to original departure time.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
As Neil wrote a lot depends on the reason for the delay -- things like air traffic control are not covered. I would wait out the full 10 days for a response and it may take more,

As an aside it was better that you went to the airport in time for the scheduled flight -- sometimes flights can be undelayed and revert to original departure time.
And we’ve seen it happen several times with the passenger ending up missing the flight.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco

YES! As goofy as it sounds, pax are required to report in as though they hadn't been made aware of the delay. Apparently a miracle happens every once in a while and the plane takes off only a little late. So why these text messages are sent out, I cannot imagine. One of those technology things I suppose ... "There's nothing you should do about it, we just send text messages on delays and cancellations because we can".

Aug 1, 2019
Whether you are due compensation depends on the reason for the delay. What was the reason for the delay? If you officially filed for EU compensation it can take months for a determination.
We were never given a reason for the delay. An earlier flight to JFK was also delayed. No reason was given for that delay either.

Aug 1, 2019
@SeniorTraveler Two things under EU261... Duty of care, which they provided in the form of food etc at 1:00 PM and potentially compensation. Compensation is driven by the reason for the delay and the length of the delay (based on when you arrive). What time were you supposed to arrive and what time did you arrive?
My flight was originally scheduled to depart at 12:10 p.m. I arrived at the airport around 9:30 a.m. We were never given a reason for the delay.

Aug 1, 2019
No reason was given for the delay. I was supposed to arrive at the airport two hours before departure. The original departure time was 12:10 p.m. I was at the airport and checked in around 9:30 a.m.

Aug 1, 2019
Whether you are due compensation depends on the reason for the delay. What was the reason for the delay? If you officially filed for EU compensation it can take months for a determination.
No, reason was given for the delay. I'm not sure how to officially file for EU compensation; please explain. I only sent an email to American Airlines' customer relations requesting compensation under EU law.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You need to find out why the flight was canceled. If you post the flight info/ flight number and dates- someone here may be able to check to see why it was canceled. You have a file number with AA. Wait for their response. If they decline it then you can file a claim. They did due care by providing you with snacks and water so it looks like EU261 might apply. If they provide you with the compensation due then you won’t need to file.

Aug 1, 2019
You need to find out why the flight was canceled. If you post the flight info/ flight number and dates- someone here may be able to check to see why it was canceled. You have a file number with AA. Wait for their response. If they decline it then you can file a claim. They did due care by providing you with snacks and water so it looks like EU261 might apply. If they provide you with the compensation due then you won’t need to file.
I would like to know the reason for the long delay since the gate agents didn't have a clue. I was booked on American Airlines Flight #151 scheduled to depart Wednesday, July 24, 2019 from CDG Airport at 12:10 p.m. and arrive at Chicago O'Hare, Wednesday, July 24, 2019 at 2:25 p.m. Our flight did not leave Paris until 4:35 p.m. and arrived in Chicago around 6:30 p.m. Thank you for your help!

Aug 1, 2019
@SeniorTraveler Under EU261, the amount of time you were delayed in Paris isn't relevant. What time were you scheduled to arrive in ORD and what time did you arrive? If there wasn't 4 hours difference, you aren't entitled to compensation only duty of care, which you received.

If you are entitled, here's the email address I dug up to ask for compensation... [email protected]
I was initially scheduled to arrive in ORD at 2:25 p.m. but with the long delay I arrived in ORD around 6:30 p.m.

Aug 1, 2019
@SeniorTraveler So you may not be due compensation. You have to arrive more than 4 hours after you were originally scheduled. According to Flightera, you were initially scheduled to arrive at 2:25 PM and you actually arrived at 5:39 PM. Because your delay was less than 4 hours, there's no compensation due.

https://www.flightera.net/flight_details/American+Airlines/AA151/LFPG/2019-07-24
Thank you for this information, John. I thought for sure we arrived around 6:30 p.m. but your record shows I'm wrong. C'est la vie!

Aug 1, 2019
I have to agree with John Baker.

I just looked up flight info.

The plane landed at 5:38 pm and arrived at the gate at 5:52 pm — instead of 2:25 pm — that is 3 hours and 27 minutes late — for a trip over 3500 km the delay needs to be over 4 hours.

It does not appear that compensation is due.

Hope you had a good trip despite the delay. You
I had a wonderful trip in spite of the annoyance of having to hang around the airport on my last day in Paris.

Dwayne Coward

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Apr 13, 2016
St. Louis
@SeniorTraveler as your delay was between 3 - 4 hours and the distance greater than 3500 km, you may still be due cash compensation under EC261, depending on the reason for the delay. For 4 or more hours the compensation is 600 Euros, for 3 or more it is 300 Euros.

Our recommendation is to write AA and request your compensation, specifically mentioning EC261. The airline is required to either pay or provide you a reason they are denying the request. If the airline denies the compensation or does not respond to your request within 6 weeks, you can submit a complaint to the National Enforcement Body in France, who can determine if compensation was properly denied.

You can submit your request via AA's online form (select Consumer relations/complaint/delayed canceled flight):

https://www.aa.com/contact/forms?topic=CR#/

Give them 2 weeks to respond, then start using our company contacts to appeal further for a response using the guidance in the following post:

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I had a wonderful trip in spite of the annoyance of having to hang around the airport on my last day in Paris.
How nice that you posted this! Frequent travellers run into "nightmares" occasionally. What keeps them from really being nightmares is ATTITUDE. " Annoyances" are the way to look at these travel glitches. If you want to be a real traveller, you develop coping skills and ways to make a bad situation into an acceptable one. Well done!

Aug 1, 2019
@SeniorTraveler as your delay was between 3 - 4 hours and the distance greater than 3500 km, you may still be due cash compensation under EC261, depending on the reason for the delay. For 4 or more hours the compensation is 600 Euros, for 3 or more it is 300 Euros.

Our recommendation is to write AA and request your compensation, specifically mentioning EC261. The airline is required to either pay or provide you a reason they are denying the request. If the airline denies the compensation or does not respond to your request within 6 weeks, you can submit a complaint to the National Enforcement Body in France, who can determine if compensation was properly denied.

You can submit your request via AA's online form (select Consumer relations/complaint/delayed canceled flight):

https://www.aa.com/contact/forms?topic=CR#/

Give them 2 weeks to respond, then start using our company contacts to appeal further for a response using the guidance in the following post:

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/
This is the beginning of the second week since I've submitted my request for compensation to AA. I have not received a response. If I have not received a response by the end of the week, I will appeal to the the company contacts you've provided. I'll keep you posted! Thank you.