ALWAYS double check those reservations and confirmation numbers

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 8, 2015
In most every story Chris and others will mention how people should always confirm their reservations on airlines, with hotels, and other travel partners multiple times. Most often we read this after reading about someone who arrived somewhere only to find out they had no reservation.

This advice paid off for me yesterday with a rental from Budget. Several weeks back I logged in to my Costco travel account and booked a rental for Vegas at the end of the month. The cost was $150 with taxes. I got the confirmation email and the reservation showed in the system. Yesterday I check the site again and the price had dropped by $20-$30, so I went and created another booking. I got the confirmation email. I then cancelled my reservation for the higher $150 price. I got the cancellation email, but the reservation number shown was for the one I just booked.

I immediately went and rebooked the same reservation and a new confirmation email came through. I also checked the reservation in the system and it finally showed as correct. If I had not noticed the reservation numbers being the same on the new reservation and cancellation emails, I wouldn't have thought to check the on line system again right away. If I had not checked on line right away, I may have thought I had a reservation when I had apparently cancelled it. I would have also likely gotten to the car rental counter with no reservation and been asked to pay a LOT more than my advance rate.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
Similar story here. Last Fall I booked several flights from Denver to Ft Myers for March wedding. For my son and his family I inadvertently booked them as RSW to DEN to RSW, backwards, as they live in Denver. Even though both he and his wife got copies of the itinerary at the time of booking, apparently no one looked at them. When the 'Your Trip is Right Around the Corner' showed up the other day, my son did notice. TG for Southwest 'No Change Fee' policy. Changing the tickets online was fairly easy and only cost me the difference in airfare which was minimal for three RT tickets.
I like SW but am noticing that the trips between RSW/Den are taking more time with longer layover times. Also, the costs have gone up for the next six months. Not a good sign but Frontier is taking up the slack with good fares, sales and direct non-stop flights. Even paying for checked bags results in lower costs than SW who Flys Bags Free. Ha!

B

bodega3

Similar story here. Last Fall I booked several flights from Denver to Ft Myers for March wedding. For my son and his family I inadvertently booked them as RSW to DEN to RSW, backwards, as they live in Denver. Even though both he and his wife got copies of the itinerary at the time of booking, apparently no one looked at them. When the 'Your Trip is Right Around the Corner' showed up the other day, my son did notice. TG for Southwest 'No Change Fee' policy. Changing the tickets online was fairly easy and only cost me the difference in airfare which was minimal for three RT tickets.
I like SW but am noticing that the trips between RSW/Den are taking more time with longer layover times. Also, the costs have gone up for the next six months. Not a good sign but Frontier is taking up the slack with good fares, sales and direct non-stop flights. Even paying for checked bags results in lower costs than SW who Flys Bags Free. Ha!
I would like to correct some misinformation you have here. Southwest and Frontier have the same published fares in the DEN to RSW market. What you are seeing is what is available. UA, which also flies in this market has higher published fares in this market and offers nonstop service.

Jan 8, 2015
"published fares" is pretty much a four letter word. Any given hour of the day it can and will change. In my market Frontier is cheaper by almost 50% vs Southwest on a given trip I wanted to take. On other days, not so much.

What used to be the $59 wanna get away fare is now $181.

B

bodega3

Of course it will change, fares get booked. There are not 160 Get Away fares per flight. Fares are capacity controlled. When the limit per flight gets booked, you move up the fare ladder. What you are seeing online is what is available for that particular day. Frontier and Southwest have the same published fares and since Southwest has done a fantastic job of convincing people they have the lowest fares, people book them regardless and their low fares sell out right away, but other carriers in the same market will still have a lower fare available. Amazing marketing by Southwest.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
.....um, yeah, until we see that other carriers have better fares.
I like SW and I get lots of free flights w/my points but I'm not adverse to switching airlines to get the better price. Throw in non-stop and I like it. :)