ALMOST DENIED BOARDING AT FT. LAUDERDALE/EVERGLADES PORT

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 23, 2018
I am a dual US/Canadian citizen residing in Canada. For a cruise that began nine days ago at the Fort Lauderdale port, I was denied entry with my Canadian passport, even though I had previously read the requirements on their web site. I was told because I was born in the US, my Canadian passport wasn't adequate. What??????? It was suggested I contact someone at "home" (2500 miles away in British Columbia) to find my birth certificate, take a photo of it and email it to them. I live alone and don't even know where my birth certificate might be without a search! Fortunately for me, I had left my US passport for safekeeping at my sister's home 45 minutes drive from the port. My sister's husband had already dropped us off. He was called, went to his home to retrieve my US passport and drive another 45 minute round trip to deliver it so I would be allowed to board.

I cannot imagine what might have happened if this weren't an option; my sister was treating me to my first ever cruise for my birthday. I have spoken with Royal Caribbean customer service since my return and expect they will follow up with me.

Just wanted to share my potential horror story in case it saves someone else the trouble. There is nothing on their web site I can find to justify the demand that was made upon me.

Dwayne Coward

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Apr 13, 2016
St. Louis
I'm afraid they were correct in accordance with US law:

U.S. nationals, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States. Dual nationals may also be required by the foreign country to use its passport to enter and leave that country. Use of the foreign passport to travel to or from a country other than the United States is not inconsistent with U.S. law.​

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I'm afraid they were correct in accordance with US law:

U.S. nationals, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States. Dual nationals may also be required by the foreign country to use its passport to enter and leave that country. Use of the foreign passport to travel to or from a country other than the United States is not inconsistent with U.S. law.​
Very useful information. So all US dual nationals are advised to carry both passports when traveling internationally, or just carry their US passport.

Apr 23, 2018
Thanks for this, Dwayne! I thought I was being a conscious consumer. First time I've been detained since obtaining an using my CA passport approx 8 years ago, and I have traveled regularly via air since then. I am hopeful that Royal Caribbean will update their web site to include this information and will let you all know.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The cruise lines will never be this specific because there are thousands of variables that can come into play to determine what you need to travel with. They can’t possibly post information that applies to every nationality. And it also depends on where you are cruising from/to.

That’s why they all say you are responsible for ensuring you have proper documents to travel. The airlines are the same way.

Your Post here might help someone else who finds themselves in a similar position.

Mar 23, 2015
Just a nosy question: Out of curiousity, you were flying out of a US city, you have a US passport, but you CHOSE to use a Canadian passport...?

Mar 23, 2015
My guess living in Canada makes carrying the Canadian passport the easiest thing as returning to Canada
I would have thought so, too, except she brought her US passport with her, as evidenced by it being at her sister's house "for safekeeping", so unless she was going to leave it there indefinitely, (after returning to Canada) it appears she'd be going back there, so picking up the Canadian one before returning home wouldn't be a problem.

Apr 23, 2018
Mel B. when traveling from Canada to places other than US (such as Cuba) I only take my Canadian passport. Once when I flew to the US, I lost my purse with my Canadian passport, all credit cards, license, etc. I was fortunate in that case to have packed away my US passport and a photo as I had planned to renew it. CA Embassy was of no help to me, but I did a quick turn around to get the renewed US one and was able to get back to Canada after my visit. But that made me a bit reticent to go on the cruise with both. (When I signed up for the cruise, I used the CA passport). Lessons learned, as others here have pointed out. Still hoping to hear from RC about revising the language on their web site. FYI this is how it currently reads under FAQ:
The following requirements are for sailings from a United States port to the Caribbean, Bahamas, Bermuda, Canada/New England, Hawaii, Alaska, Panama Canal and Mexico.

United States and Canadian Citizens:

You MUST have one of the following:

I didn't explore further than that, hence the problem......

Aug 29, 2015
Mel B. when traveling from Canada to places other than US (such as Cuba) I only take my Canadian passport. Once when I flew to the US, I lost my purse with my Canadian passport, all credit cards, license, etc. I was fortunate in that case to have packed away my US passport and a photo as I had planned to renew it. CA Embassy was of no help to me, but I did a quick turn around to get the renewed US one and was able to get back to Canada after my visit. But that made me a bit reticent to go on the cruise with both. (When I signed up for the cruise, I used the CA passport). Lessons learned, as others here have pointed out. Still hoping to hear from RC about revising the language on their web site. FYI this is how it currently reads under FAQ:
The following requirements are for sailings from a United States port to the Caribbean, Bahamas, Bermuda, Canada/New England, Hawaii, Alaska, Panama Canal and Mexico.

It looks perfect to me. They said to visit the respective government site. That is the appropriate thIng for the cruiseline to say.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco

I agree with you, this is very badly worded. It says you need a passport from either country .... who would question that further? The usual corporate arrogance; they should ask the people who check passengers in how to word their warnings, they're the ones who know what issues come up. Travel providers shouldn't provide much information, they can never get it right. All they should say is: "contact your _____ authorities", nothing else.

Jun 1, 2018
If I'm driving into the US (to visit my parents, for example, or to attend a convention) I use my US passport to enter the US and my Canadian passport to re-enter Canada.

If I'm flying into the US, I'll use my US passport for both legs of the trip because I haven't found a way to enter both passports when buying tickets.

That being said, I carry both of them when I travel and I present my CAN passport to Canadian border officials as required.

Apr 23, 2018
It looks perfect to me. They said to visit the respective government site. That is the appropriate thIng for the cruiseline to say.
Did you actually check out those links to get the information re DUAL citizenship? I just did, and on both sites, this information is not apparent UNLESS ONE QUERIES "dual citizenship". As helpful as Dwayne's information is, this is not found under "international travel". Check it out! Having easily traveled by air between the US and Canada in the past with just my CA passport, I had no reason to keep digging, given the way RC phrases what is required. As I said, lessons learned - I will now travel with both in the future!! And I haven't heard a word from RC yet; giving their CS a few more days to respond.

Apr 23, 2018
The advisability of travelling with both passports was brought home to me real time last April, when I flew from San Francisco to Vancouver. Like Office Bob, my practice is to depart and enter each country with its passport. I scanned my Canadian passport at YVR and proceeded to the immigration desk. The officer informed me that my Canadian passport had expired yesterday - yes, one day previously. She told me she was surprised that the airline had let me board at SEA (my connecting flight). I told her I had used my US passport to board, and she accepted that and let me in.
BTW, I always have copies of both passports, my birth certificate, health cards, and CA ID with me - one on paper and the other in my cellphone. Better safe than sorry, I say. :)

Dec 2, 2017
One of my sons and his family have dual citizenship—US and another country. When the children were young, they traveled with both passports for each person—12 altogether. If you have dual citizenship, you should always travel with both. I always travel with my passport—US only— regardless of how I’m traveling,— air, ship, or car/train. You never know where you’ll wind up.

Sep 8, 2018
The advisability of travelling with both passports was brought home to me real time last April, when I flew from San Francisco to Vancouver. Like Office Bob, my practice is to depart and enter each country with its passport. I scanned my Canadian passport at YVR and proceeded to the immigration desk. The officer informed me that my Canadian passport had expired yesterday - yes, one day previously. She told me she was surprised that the airline had let me board at SEA (my connecting flight). I told her I had used my US passport to board, and she accepted that and let me in.
BTW, I always have copies of both passports, my birth certificate, health cards, and CA ID with me - one on paper and the other in my cellphone. Better safe than sorry, I say. :)
George, I do the same thing except that I was told recently at the border crossing that making a copy of my US Passport was illegal because it constituted a 'forgery'. Regardless, I still carry copies of both passports. Glad you were able to meet me in Vancouver last April after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.