Allstate settlement for damaged rental question

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 1, 2019
Here is the recap. My wife's rental car crash had five line item charges from PurCo for
1 Physical Damage
2 Loss of Use
3 Administrative Fee
4 Diminution of Value
5 DV Appraisal Fee

On February 7, Allstate confirmed to me that they paid PurCo $10,152.87 for repairs and $2,481 for diminished value. Allstate said PurCo accepted these values (by cashing the checks and by not countering).

To see if the Loss of Use, Administrative Fee, and DV Appraisal Fee were removed by Allstate or to get the Loss of Use, Administrative Fee, and DV Appraisal Fee reduced or removed, I contacted Advantage customer care on February 8. They replied on February 10 that the issue was between PurCo and me. I followed up, and Advantage customer care replied on February 14 with "We do not have information about this matter anymore since everything was transfer to them, so I will recommend you to proceed with them as advise before".

I contacted the Primary Contact, Naomi Cantera, on February 15 requesting a response within seven days. She replied same day that she would forward to "claims department Management". I never received communication from "claims department Management".

I emailed the Secondary Contact, James Sutton, on February 18 requesting a response within seven days. No reply.

I emailed the Chief Executive, Scott Davido, on February 26 requesting a response within seven days. No reply.

Here I am 13 days after the email was sent to Scott Davido.

I still don't know if PurCo expects a payment for the the Loss of Use, Administrative Fee, and DV Appraisal Fee. In fact, I don't know if Purco agrees that the Physical Damage and Diminution of Value are completely resolved.

What is the recommended next step? Thank you

Mar 17, 2015
Actually, if they did not present these charges to your insurance company, they should have. If they did already submit them, there may be a documentation issue as to why they were not paid. Follow the steps in the forum and ask for all of that information. If they cannot provide it, they cannot prove it and should drop the rest of the charges.

Feb 1, 2019
@Neil Maley Guess I'll wait and see what PurCo does, if anything.

@VoR61 I don't follow. Clearly somewhere between August 2018 and December 2018 Advantage sent info to PurCo. How else would PurCo know?

@Tanya Allstate told me they had the same bill as I did listing the five charges. I take that to count as presenting the charges to my insurance company. What the Allstate reps could not find documented was any discussion between themself and PurCo for Loss of Use, Administrative Fee, and DV Appraisal Fee, which is why I still wonder what is going on with them. PurCo originally sent info on how PurCo came up with the dollar amounts. I am trying to get PurCo to state the charges are dropped (ideally), reduced, or still the same.

Jan 6, 2015
My question is designed to determine whether or not you had prior notice from Advantage or if they sent this matter straight to collections. Normally they notify you first, and if you fail to pay THEN they send to collections. And once that happens, collection agencies usually demand full payment.

Stated another way, were you presented an opportunity to resolve this with Advantage before Purco became involved?

Mar 14, 2018
My question is designed to determine whether or not you had prior notice from Advantage or if they sent this matter straight to collections. Normally they notify you first, and if you fail to pay THEN they send to collections. And once that happens, collection agencies usually demand full payment.

Stated another way, were you presented an opportunity to resolve this with Advantage before Purco became involved?
Purco isn't a collections agency. They administer damage claims for car rental agencies.

Jan 6, 2015
Perhaps technically they are not, but they do fulfill that role (in my opinion). Once the claims process is transferred to a third party, often the negotiation opportunity has ended . . .

Mar 14, 2018
Perhaps technically they are not, but they do fulfill that role (in my opinion). Once the claims process is transferred to a third party, often the negotiation opportunity has ended . . .
My understanding is that the car rental companies don't do anything before transferring the claim to Purco--They have outsourced the whole process.

Feb 1, 2019
Advantage never asked for payment from me. My understanding is that as soon as Advantage learned of the auto damage, Advantage handed over to PurCo. Here is the first part of the letter PurCo mailed to me "This damage incident has been assigned to this office by Advantage Rent A Car. Enclosed is information supporting the claim."
It seems PurCo was willing to negotiate with Allstate, at least that is Allstate's belief. The advice here has been don't contact PurCo so I have not.

Mar 14, 2018
Advantage never asked for payment from me. My understanding is that as soon as Advantage learned of the auto damage, Advantage handed over to PurCo. Here is the first part of the letter PurCo mailed to me "This damage incident has been assigned to this office by Advantage Rent A Car. Enclosed is information supporting the claim."
It seems PurCo was willing to negotiate with Allstate, at least that is Allstate's belief. The advice here has been don't contact PurCo so I have not.

I think it's fine to contact Purco to see if they agree the claim is fully settled.