Allianz travel insurance

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 11, 2019
I was scheduled to fly from Newark to Heathrow on Sept.4th. There were 16 of us, including the tour leader. Our flight was delayed, then we boarded the plane, sat for an hour and had to get off. Mechanical problems. Finally at midnight the flight was cancelled. We weren't able to check into a hotel until 3am. Then it was back to the airport, through security again and wait for our flight at 9pm. the next night. So I missed the first day of the tour, and also the 4th day when I accompanied my sick travel companion to the ER. I filed a claim with Allianz for the 26 hour flight delay, plus the two missed days of the tour. The claim was denied. I appealed, only to be told they don't pay for inconvenience. In my opinion, a 26 hour delay for an 83 year old woman is more than an "inconvenience". So I appealed to the CEO which resulted in a check for $300, which doesn't even cover the cost of the insurance.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Did you apply the claim as travel delay? We'd need to see the actual terms of the policy to see what is covered or not. Can you send us a link to the policy? You will never be reimbursed for the insurance. They are apparently paying you for the first day of your tour. As far as going to the hospital with your sick friend - that isn't a covered expense. You morally did a good thing but the insurance doesn't reimburse for that.

Feb 11, 2019
I claimed travel delay and trip interruption for the two missed days of the tour. I will try to find a link to the policy.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You won't be covered for voluntarily going to the hospital with your travel companion. You were not sick - there is no provision in most policies for anything like this. I am wondering why they wouldn't cover the first day.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
You won't be covered for voluntarily going to the hospital with your travel companion. You were not sick - there is no provision in most policies for anything like this. I am wondering why they wouldn't cover the first day.
Maybe they just did a blanket denial based on the OP's inclusion of the missed day due to the trip to the ER with the friend?

I would suggest appealing the denial and only ask for the delay compensation for the first day.

Feb 11, 2019
Maybe they just did a blanket denial based on the OP's inclusion of the missed day due to the trip to the ER with the friend?

I would suggest appealing the denial and only ask for the delay compensation for the first day.
I did appeal and got a check for $300 for travel delay, but nothing for trip interruption - missing the first day of the tour which cost $343/day. I don't have a link to the policy but it was the Basic Allianz policy.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Trip interruption kicks in if you have to leave the tour to return home. Going with your friend doesn’t qualify for trip interruption.

You didn’t tell us you received anything until now. That $300 probably represents the first day of the tour you missed.

I think you have been reimbursed correctly.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
You may want to get clarification for how the $300 was calculated. According to what I read on the Allianz website is you are entitled to a max of $150 per day for trip delay with a total maximum payout for the trip of $300. Did you provide them with the cost of the missed tour? If not, get the cost of the tour you missed the first day and submit that to them. If it is under $150 then you would actually owe them a refund since you were delayed one day ($150). If its more than $150 then ask for the difference.

Feb 11, 2019
Trip interruption kicks in if you have to leave the tour to return home. Going with your friend doesn’t qualify for trip interruption.

You didn’t tell us you received anything until now. That $300 probably represents the first day of the tour you missed.

I think you have been reimbursed correctly.
When I first submitted my question to the help desk, after filling out a long form I stated, "I appealed this to the CEO, but was only offered $300 for trip delay, nothing for trip interruption. Is it worthwhile pursuing?". Then I was advised to take it to the forum. Apparently there was a lack of communication because I noted the $300 reimbursement up front.

Feb 11, 2019
You may want to get clarification for how the $300 was calculated. According to what I read on the Allianz website is you are entitled to a max of $150 per day for trip delay with a total maximum payout for the trip of $300. Did you provide them with the cost of the missed tour? If not, get the cost of the tour you missed the first day and submit that to them. If it is under $150 then you would actually owe them a refund since you were delayed one day ($150). If its more than $150 then ask for the difference.
I did notify them that the cost of the trip was $343/day.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I don’t understand why they declined the claim in the first place. But look at the coverage limits- they may only have a maximum payout of $300 a day. The lower the policy you buy, the less coverage you receive.

But you are only due reimbursement for the first day you missed. You won’t get reimbursed for the day you went to the hospital with your friend- you voluntarily went with her and didn’t have to fly home do nothing was interrupted.

Can you post the exact wording they stated in the declination of the claim? Did you file a formal appeal of the declination?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Is this the policy you bought? ( Not sure what state you are in). This is their basic plan.

https://www.allianztravelinsurance.com/api/certificates/download/all?ProductID=17061&State=NY

You might only be getting $300 because that is the maximum coverage in your purchase policy. Please note what this says in the coverage- maximum
paid out for travel delay is $150 per person. See below.

TRAVEL DELAY COVERAGE
Coverage under the plan will pay on a one-time basis up to the maximum amount listed on Your Letter of Confirmation due to a departure delay of six or more hours for: a) reasonable, additional accommodation and traveling expenses; and b) the unused part of Your prepaid expenses missed (less any Refunds You receive). Expenses must be incurred by You. Payments for the above expenses will not exceed $150 per day per person.
Covered reasons for Travel Delay are:
1. Carrier caused delay (including bad weather);
2. Lost or stolen passports, money, or travel documents; 3. Quarantine;
4. Hijacking;
5. Unannounced strikes;
6. Natural disaster; or
7. Civil disorder or unrest.
No coverage will be provided for loss(es) due to any General Exclusion.
Please refer to Your Letter of Confirmation for the maximum coverage amount available under Your plan.

Attachments

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2019
When I first submitted my question to the help desk, after filling out a long form I stated, "I appealed this to the CEO, but was only offered $300 for trip delay, nothing for trip interruption. Is it worthwhile pursuing?". Then I was advised to take it to the forum. Apparently there was a lack of communication because I noted the $300 reimbursement up front.
If you go back and read the first description of my trip in this forum, you will see that it clearly states I received $300. I asked if it was worth pursuing and obviously it's not. I have used Allianz many times, on many trips, and never filed a claim. Needless to say, I won't be using them again. In retrospect, I should have saved the $385 fee, be $85 ahead, and avoided this months-long hassle.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You are correct, there is nothing else to pursue.

It appears you received the maximum due according the the policy you bought. The basic policy only offers up to $300 for travel delay which is what you received.

Coverage amounts go higher for each higher policy you purchased.

I hope we at least were able to decipher and explain the policy and terms for you.

I still don’t understand why you had to go to company executives to obtain the $300 because it appears from your description that you should have received it from the claim. But you were paid out the maximum according to the policy you bought.

What is you had tripped and broken a leg while you were traveling? Allianz would have covered your medical bills. If you didn’t buy the insurance you could have been out thousands of dollars.

What if you developed a serious illness and had to cancel the trip before you left? Insurance would have reimbursed you for your trip.

This would have happened with any policy through any company you bought insurance through. You need to be aware of the coverage limits and the definitions of what is covered and not covered. Insurance covers much more the trip delay.