Alitalia promised us each vouchers after cancelling our flight and now I can't get ahold of them

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 23, 2017
Hi, I'm hoping someone might be able to help me get the compensation I was promised.

I traveled to Europe just a couple months back and I was flying home to Toronto, Ontario on an AlItalia flight out of Rome on April 29, 2017. I booked the flight months in advanced and as the flight drew closer we realized the date had changed. They cancelled the flight and rebooked us on a flight on April 30, 2017. Okay sure, not a problem. We had to pay for an extra night of accommodations, however. We arrive at the airport in Rome and learn that the new rescheduled flight has now been overbooked. So we are then booted off the plane and put on a connection flight to Boston, MA that connects into Toronto. We are promised 800 euros each (there are 2 of us) for our troubles. We fill out forms to receive our voucher in "the next few days". We are massively delayed and return to Toronto over 48hrs later than we originally planned. I wait to hear from AlItalia for our voucher and never do. I send them numerous emails asking for my voucher and compensation only to be ignored...I try calling many times and am constantly told they will get back to me...It has now been over a month and I have received no word...Any ideas on what I might be able to do next?

johnbaker

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2014
Sounds like you have an EU261 claim. They should have a link on their website. Start there. Next step would be on of the companies that make the claim on your behalf for a cut.

Keep in mind EU 261 is cash not a voucher.

EDIT: Here's what I found on their site

"In order to make a compensation claim pursuant to EU regulation 261/04, please visit our My Experience section (your reports). Our team will contact you to confirm whether you are entitled to compensation. If you would also like to claim the costs you incurred, you can do so by using the same form."

Jun 23, 2017
Thanks, I've filled out and sent the form as well as sent them yet another email...hopefully they will stop ignoring me eventually...it's just frustrating because we only accepted being kicked off our flight because we filled out these compensation forms and promised 800 euros...clearly they just wanted to get rid of us.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Hi, I'm hoping someone might be able to help me get the compensation I was promised.

I traveled to Europe just a couple months back and I was flying home to Toronto, Ontario on an AlItalia flight out of Rome on April 29, 2017. I booked the flight months in advanced and as the flight drew closer we realized the date had changed. They cancelled the flight and rebooked us on a flight on April 30, 2017. Okay sure, not a problem. We had to pay for an extra night of accommodations, however. We arrive at the airport in Rome and learn that the new rescheduled flight has now been overbooked. So we are then booted off the plane and put on a connection flight to Boston, MA that connects into Toronto. We are promised 800 euros each (there are 2 of us) for our troubles. We fill out forms to receive our voucher in "the next few days". We are massively delayed and return to Toronto over 48hrs later than we originally planned. I wait to hear from AlItalia for our voucher and never do. I send them numerous emails asking for my voucher and compensation only to be ignored...I try calling many times and am constantly told they will get back to me...It has now been over a month and I have received no word...Any ideas on what I might be able to do next?
After years of floundering financially, Alitalia finally filed bankruptcy a week or so ago. They may be in reorganization, but I would not count on receiving vouchers that you could use.

But that doesn't mean that you shouldn't explore every avenue to receive your compensation. Is there any chance that the credit card you used to book has any travel insurance attached? You did finally reach your destination, but your expenses were probably much higher than what you had budgeted. Good luck, and please keep us posted. As time goes on, others will no doubt be posting with Alitalia issues.

Jun 23, 2017
After years of floundering financially, Alitalia finally filed bankruptcy a week or so ago. They may be in reorganization, but I would not count on receiving vouchers that you could use.

But that doesn't mean that you shouldn't explore every avenue to receive your compensation. Is there any chance that the credit card you used to book has any travel insurance attached? You did finally reach your destination, but your expenses were probably much higher than what you had budgeted. Good luck, and please keep us posted. As time goes on, others will no doubt be posting with Alitalia issues.

UPDATE: I received a call this morning form Alitalia customer relations - finally!

She explained to me that they have stopped all funding for vouchers due to their bankruptcy and that they have frozen all their funding for that area of customer service.

She said that they "had every intention of honouring their promise to compensate" me and my friend, but that they were waiting to hear from their 'financial director'....clearly this is extremely frustrating but she said they would have an answer for me as soon as they could.

What I'm wondering now...is there a chance they will be unable to honour the compensation? Could I just end up with nothing?

I just read that Alitalia is accepting takeover bids...would the takeover company still honour their outstanding compensation?
It depends on whether or not the bankruptcy court sells Alitalia's assets subject to its liabilities. It could very well wipe out all unsecured claims and sell the assets free and clear, although Italian bankruptcy laws could be very different from ours.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I'm very impressed that someone called you, Chantal. Sorry to say that there's little chance of you ever seeing any compensation. I advise you to keep an eye on the unfolding story to watch what's happening ... when TWA went down, American swooped in quickly and there was very little disruption. If there's a takeover, you may be able to resubmit your request ... we see miracles here all the time, so don't give up. Just think of all the people who are booked on Alitalia flights ... most of them will have to buy new tix on another airline ... what a mess they're in right now.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I hate to agree with Jsn but she is correct. In a bankruptcy filing, you are on the very bottom of the ladder for repayment. Taxes and creditors go first.

Let's hope a takeover we happens because bankruptcy wipes out debts owed- including yours.