Alamo -Tire damage

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 31, 2019
I rented a Ford Eco Sport (no spare, just a pump and goop to put in tire for small punctures). I did not take any of Alamo's insurance or road side assistance since we have our own car insurance and AAA Gold for roadside assistance. On the first day of our rental, I hit a pot hole and had an instant flat. I tried the pump and could hear air coming out as fast as I was putting it in. We called AAA. While I waited I called the rental office where I'd gotten the car. I explained the situation, the person on the phone asked their manager if this car really didn't have a spare and they confirmed it did not. I asked what I should do and told them AAA was on their way. I was told fixing it on my own would be financially beneficial. AAA towed me to a repair shop. They said the sidewall was ruined and that we needed a new tire. At this point I paid $231.67 for a new tire. When we returned the car there was no one at the rental counter to ask. Do I have any recourse with Alamo?

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I rented a Ford Eco Sport (no spare, just a pump and goop to put in tire for small punctures). I did not take any of Alamo's insurance or road side assistance since we have our own car insurance and AAA Gold for roadside assistance. On the first day of our rental, I hit a pot hole and had an instant flat. I tried the pump and could hear air coming out as fast as I was putting it in. We called AAA. While I waited I called the rental office where I'd gotten the car. I explained the situation, the person on the phone asked their manager if this car really didn't have a spare and they confirmed it did not. I asked what I should do and told them AAA was on their way. I was told fixing it on my own would be financially beneficial. AAA towed me to a repair shop. They said the sidewall was ruined and that we needed a new tire. At this point I paid $231.67 for a new tire. When we returned the car there was no one at the rental counter to ask. Do I have any recourse with Alamo?
Depending on the mileage on the tire there may be a manufacturer's warranty on road hazards. If you did not take out any insurance with Alamo, you can try to see if there is any coverage from the credit card you used to rent the car with, also check to see if your own auto insurance has any coverage. Alamo is not going to cover the damage without your purchasing their insurance. You can ask Alamo but expect the answer to be no.
If this was your own vehicle you would be replacing the tire.

BTW-you were grossly overcharged for the tire assuming your AAA covered the towing. Typical tire prices for that car are $100-120 each plus $15-20 mounting. If there was a towing charge inlcuded, then the cost is reasonable.

Jan 6, 2015
Fuel and damages to the vehicle, including tires, are always the renter's responsibility. I don't see any recourse with Alamo.

Your credit card may provide some coverage . . .

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
No. You didn’t opt to buy insurance that would have paid for this and you admit you hit the pothole so you are responsible for the damage as much as you’d be responsible if you had an accident and hadn’t bought insurance. If you were driving your own car and this happened, you’d have to pay for the tire too.

Call the credit card you used and see if they offer any type of insurance for something like this.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
You better hope they don’t notice because they will come after you..... hide do not bring any attention to this matter. You hit a pot hole and you are responsible for the flat and the cost to replace the tire. Trust me when I say you might just get lucky!
Your flat tire = Their, wheel damage, undercarriage damage, scratches that you didn’t cause, paint job for said scratches, loss of use, loss of value and my favorite Administrative Fees!
Hope to god the rental fairies have saved your bacon and let this slide. Otherwise they will also likely want 4 matching tires!
I’m not kidding, read the nightmare stories on the forum. Good luck!

Mar 31, 2019
Thank you all for your advice. I am following up with my CC and will look at the price I was charged for the tire.

Jan 6, 2015
It’s usually an add on you pay extra for. Since the writer didn’t buy any insurance, there is likely no Coverage unless MBoyds personal car insurance covers tires.
I did not find any add-ons that covered this either. Can you by chance?

Jan 6, 2015
Apologies. For my own understanding I called Alamo and learned that the Collision Damage Waiver (CDW ) coverage extends to the tires (not listed on their site). That's typically another $20-30 per day . . .

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
While I waited I called the rental office where I'd gotten the car. I explained the situation, the person on the phone asked their manager if this car really didn't have a spare and they confirmed it did not. I asked what I should do and told them AAA was on their way. I was told fixing it on my own would be financially beneficial.

You better hope they don’t notice because they will come after you..... hide do not bring any attention to this matter. You hit a pot hole and you are responsible for the flat and the cost to replace the tire. Trust me when I say you might just get lucky!
Your flat tire = Their, wheel damage, undercarriage damage, scratches that you didn’t cause, paint job for said scratches, loss of use, loss of value and my favorite Administrative Fees!
Hope to god the rental fairies have saved your bacon and let this slide. Otherwise they will also likely want 4 matching tires!
I’m not kidding, read the nightmare stories on the forum. Good luck!
Unfortunately they already know.