Alamo Damage Charge with NO documents

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 10, 2017
Oh ho. They just called.

I was in a meeting & didn't pick up; they left a message asking me to call back.

ETA: I got the woman on the phone. She said she wouldn't be sending me documents at all & is forwarding the claim to collections.

Last edited:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Nov 10, 2017
Okay - I did that. And again, I /have/ been dealing with the corp. office. I've received at least three different pieces of advice on here about how to proceed, so I hope you can understand my confusion.

Regardless, I've sent this:

Hi, David,

I just finished a phone call with Latasha (918 401 6632) who informed me that I would not be receiving any paperwork when I requested that Alamo communicate with me via writing regarding a damaged vehicle. I did not cause damage to your vehicle. I have not received ANY written communication whatsoever.

This is also not an appropriate response to give a customer, so I’m escalating to you and requesting:
- Your copy of the original agreement and the receipt given to you when you returned the car.

- Time stamped and dated pictures of the damage

- A picture of the mileage indicator showing the mileage on the car when the damage was noted.

- A copy of the incident report

- If the car was repaired, a copy of the receipt showing the car was repaired and the cost that was paid for the repair.

- A copy of the license plate number on the car to ensure it is the car you rented.

Thank you,
name

--

I also spoke to someone at their "escalations" department to complain about the employee who hung up on me. The woman there, Sylvia (who is possibly the nicest employee at Alamo?), told me that there was nothing in my file - at all. There was no note of damage, no proof, nothing. She gave me a reference number and her name and said if anyone calls again, give them that info. She also said to basically not worry about it, though this "collection agency" threat Latasha made is stressing me out. I have perfect credit; I don't want Alamo's crappy employee to mess that up!

Feb 9, 2016
Keep this in your back pocket

Letter with verbiage for car renters to send to collections, in the case they get turned over to collections

The letter to collections simple:

"I deny I caused your client any damage. Your client has not proven the damage, either in causation or amount, to a preponderance of the evidence despite request. you have made an empty demand without proof and I insist you follow the rules to obtain and provide proof of loss and every element of damage claimed.

I have previously asked your client for certain information they have not provided to date to establish the enforceability of their claim. Thus. I deny your claim and deny that I owe your client anything.

I invoke all rights under the Fair Credit Billing and Collection Act and request no further contact from your business. I invite you to sue me to complete this transaction quickly. Be advised that I significant defenses at law and equity and that the contract I signed, which you are trying to collect, contains a mutual attorneys fee clause by operation of law.

If you decide to report this to a credit reporting bureau you are required to report my disputation of the entire claim. Failure to do so accurately will result in legal action for defamation. Given your client's lack of any proof of damage or amount, other than their say so, I invite litigation to resolve this matter timely.

VTY, renter. "

Feb 9, 2016
NOW is the time to google and learn your rights under the fair credit and billing act

Looks like you have a case of a billing error. Looks like you need to send written word that you dispute this charge, which it seems you did with corporate. KEEP asking for clarification and proof and assert that this information is your right under the fair credit and billing act.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_Credit_Billing_Act

• If banks report payments as delinquent to credit bureaus they must also report a charge is disputed.[4][7]
Examples of billing errors[edit]
The following are examples of billing errors under the FCBA:[2]

• Charges not actually made by the consumer
  • Charges in the wrong amount.
  • Charges for goods or services not received by the consumer
  • Charges for goods not delivered as agreed
  • Charges for goods that were damaged on delivery
  • Failures to properly reflect payments or credits to an account
  • Calculation errors
  • Charges that the consumer wants clarified or requests proof of
  • Statements mailed to the wrong address
  • Significantly not as described product/goods

Nov 10, 2017
I did call my CC and they said basically they can't step in until/unless there's a charge. Thanks for the letter, I'll keep it handy-- though with the complete 0 paper bills / paperwork I've received, I wonder who I'd even send it to.

Feb 9, 2016
Remember that, if they sue you, they absolutely will have to turn over the information you are asking for right now - fleet logs, date/time stamped pictures, etc.

Most likely they are trying to scare you with the threat of collections.

Keep a sweet disposition. Let them know you didn't cause the damage but want to do your due diligence in looking into the matter and solving the issue and you are asking for their help.

Feb 9, 2016
I did call my CC and they said basically they can't step in until/unless there's a charge. Thanks for the letter, I'll keep it handy-- though with the complete 0 paper bills / paperwork I've received, I wonder who I'd even send it to.
If it comes down to it you will send it to the collections agency. Get familiar with the fair credit and billing act. If you start to include/assert your rights under that, they will probably back down, knowing they arent dealing with someone who is easily intimidated.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Correct. I have received zero paperwork, no bills, nothing -- just phone calls demanding $.
Then stop worrying and stop responding to them. If you actually get charged then use our link.

You may never see a charge. Stop responding to them. You are making the situation worse. Go silent - no calls or anything. If you get charged - then you go to corporate.?

Nov 10, 2017
Then stop worrying and stop responding to them. If you actually get charged then use our link.

You may never see a charge. Stop responding to them. You are making the situation worse. Go silent - no calls or anything. If you get charged - then you go to corporate.?
Sending me to collections sounds worrisome. I've been pretty clear this whole thread about what is going on -- the advice has been a little all over the place for me.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I HAVE heard something: they CALLED me. This isn't some nonexistent problem and I feel like you really aren't offering much in the way of insight here.
There is nothing to do unless and until they either bill you or charge your credit card.

How do you know this isn’t someone phishing you to try and get your credit card number?

If they call you again, tell them you will not speak to them and more and if they have anything further to say they should send you a certified letter.

There is nothing we can do for you until and unless they charge your credit card or make a demand in writing. They need to provide proof of the damage and they haven’t.

Stop corresponding with them. There is nothing to dispute unless you get a bill in the mail.

Feb 9, 2016
Let's get to that happy medium?

Do you have an email address for them? If so, send them an email and ask them to send you the bill, itemizing the charges. If you dont have an email for them, then call and ask for one. if they say no email, then ask them to email or snail mail you an itemization of the intended charges. Let them know "I didnt damage the vehicle but I cant start to entertain the situation until I have an actual itemized statement of charges in front of me. I request that you stop harassing me until you decide to pursue this within accordance of the fair credit and billing act"

If they wont let you email, or if you happen to be on the phone, be sure to write the name, date, time, content and return phone number for each call. Its super important that you always insert the phrase "I deny I damaged the vehicle" in all phone conversations and correspondence.

Remember what I posted before - it's not legal for them to turn you over to collections if you haven't received any paperwork regarding the amount they claim you owe. They KNOW this.

The reason you haven't gotten any paperwork is because they know you didn't do the damage and are hoping to scare you into paying. It's your choice as to weather or not this tactic is going to work.

If/when they send you that itemized bill you can begin to pursue the issue using our company contacts.

Right now this is a paper tiger - complete BS until they actually bill you and then demand payment. Unless you want me to call you, demand payment for an outstanding bill between you and I, and give you my pay pal information so you can pay it...... insane right? That's what they are trying to do to you. But let me know in case you want to give me money :D

Nov 10, 2017
Thanks, guys! Just got this:

Hi Ms. NAME,

I tried giving you a call on your cell. I wanted to let you know that we are not pursuing you for the repairs to the vehicle from Alamo Albany airport back in October.

Craig Lang

City Manager
Albany Airport