Alamo claim

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 5, 2019
I rented a van for 24 hours from Alamo, picking up at the Swan & Dolphin hotel in Orlando and dropping off at the Ft Lauderdale airport. In trying to pick up the car, I went early to the desk, but there was a delay in getting the cars from Disney back to the hotel and only one employee at the desk on duty. After waiting 90+ minutes, I was told that the van was available and was told to go to concierge. I did that, but they sent me to the valet, waited there and a valet ran out with a key and then ran away. I couldn't find an Alamo employee and we were already late. I noted that there were some scratches, but they were minor. When we couldn't find anyone, we got on the road, figuring we could sort it at the other end and we were just driving south and returning the vehicle. When I brought it to Ft Lauderdale, I explained the situation. They checked the system and indicated to me that the damage was already noted in the system and that I was not liable. I left with my receipt and nothing else, since they indicated everything was in good shape. The next day, I started to get phone calls, and have had multiple calls, emails, letters, and now a bill for $411.50 from them - I don't seem to be able to get past their entry level staff.

The receipt they have in their system has noted that I picked up in Ft Lauderdale and returned in Orlando, which is not the case (it was the reverse, which my reservation shows). I don't know if they associated something wrong in their system with my account, but I have 4 other adults who witnessed all of this. It has been incredibly frustrating, particularly since the Disney hotel location was so hectic and without staff, and the Ft Lauderdale staff assured me that there was no problem and nothing was noted on my receipt at the drop off or given to me to sign.

Apr 1, 2018
I've had a few experiences when the car rental staff toss the keys to me and disappear. It seems that car rental offices are extremely understaffed. Anyway, what I do now is inspect the car and if I find any dents, scratches or other problems, I take clear photos of the issues that also show that the photos are being taken in the car rental pickup location. Then I immediately email the photos to myself. By doing so I have evidence that documents the issues, where I detected the issues and when, the date and time of the email and the date/time on the photo.

Thankfully, I never had to use this evidence.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I've had a few experiences when the car rental staff toss the keys to me and disappear. It seems that car rental offices are extremely understaffed. Anyway, what I do now is inspect the car and if I find any dents, scratches or other problems, I take clear photos of the issues that also show that the photos are being taken in the car rental pickup location. Then I immediately email the photos to myself. By doing so I have evidence that documents the issues, where I detected the issues and when, the date and time of the email and the date/time on the photo.

Thankfully, I never had to use this evidence.
That’s what our thread says to do in the car rental forum.