Alamo claim on unknown windshield crack...need help

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 6, 2019
Hi. This is the first time something like this has happened to me. I'm not sure what to do, except to cancel my credit card.

Recently, I rented a car from Alamo. I picked it up at 10pm and we left to our destination early in the morning, around 520am, where it was also pitch dark. I did not notice anything on the front windshield at all, because on the drivers side, there's the rearview mirror blocking my view from noticing the crack on the front windshield. The tint on the top of the windshield didn't help my view of the windshield crack either. As we go to our destination, I was able to sit on the passenger seat to get something and noticed the crack. I was shocked that it was there as nothing hit our windshield on our way. The crack was not a small crack, but a long crack, quite a bit of a ways down from starting from the top middle of the windshield down pass where the windshield was attached, curving to the right side of the passenger seat. As I came home and returned the rental car, I let the Alamo's attendants know what was going on and I relayed my information about the windshield to the guy. He told me to write down a statement and that Alamo will contact me once they investigate it. Well, a day later, they charged my credit card a little over 547, taking my deposit, plus rental, plus the cost of the windshield crack of almost 200.

What can I do about this situation? I truly believe it was not my fault, and the crack was a long crack, like it's been there for awhile already. I'm not sure how to prove this at all, but nobody at Alamos has contacted me, nor have they explained to me what they have investigated and proven that I caused it.

I did not buy insurance for the rental, but I've notified my insurance before I saw the charges on my credit card and my insurance said they will cover it. But won't I have to pay a deductible to my car insurance if I"m going to do a claim?

What does a person do in this kind of situation, or are we just out of luck??

Does anyone know what I can do? Or, any suggestions? Please help with any suggestions.

Note: Edited my moderator to remove an unecessary word.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You are going to have a tough time because you don’t have pictures of the car at pick up showing the crack and you also didn’t call them as soon as you discovered it when it was light out. But I also can understand not seeing it when you picked it up in the dark.

We have a thread on how to fight this. Follow the thread and push them to check the rentals before your to see if the damage was marked. I find it difficult to believe that they didn’t see that crack when whoever did the damage brought it back.

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/how-to-deal-with-a-car-rental-damage-claim.1514/

Let us know how you make out.