AirMalta won't reimburse me

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 5, 2019
Hello,
I was visiting family in Israel this past December/January and at one point I tried to make a booking from Tel Aviv to Malta for January 1st to the 4th. After being redirected on the website, I figured that the process must not have gone through fully, especially because I was never emailed a confirmation email or any word on tickets. However, when I went back and checked my bank account a few days later, I was charged full price for two tickets on my card, plus an international Purchase Fee. I have tried to be in contact with somebody multiple times from Air Malta and was briefly talking to someone but now it has been weeks since I have heard anything and I've sent multiple more emails, plus another complaint form on their website.

Attached is my bank statement, and at the very bottom you will be able to see the two transactions.

With all this said, I would like to have a full refund of my money because I never received a confirmation email for my tickets but I just dont know what to do anymore!

Any advice and help would be much appreciated! Thank you.

Avi Aharoni

Note- Edited by moderator to remove bank system.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I’ve removed the bank statement from this post- never post that kind of information online.

What you needed to do was call the airline as soon as this happened to see if the card was charged. Never assume it wasn’t.

Have you called your credit card company and asked them to dispute the charge?

Mar 5, 2019
I’ve removed the bank statement from this post- never post that kind of information online.

What you needed to do was call the airline as soon as this happened to see if the card was charged. Never assume it wasn’t.

Have you called your credit card company and asked them to dispute the charge?
Thank you for that, I'll keep it in mind for the future.
I DID call the airlines immediately, and for multiple days after noticing and was never able to get through to anyone. They didn't have an office in Israel so I dont know if it was the time difference or what, but a human was never on the other end of the phone.

An no, I never contacted my bank. Is that the way to do it? And is it too late now??

Avi

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This, unfortunately, is a story we see almost weekly. Once you enter your payment information you've usually bought the tix. Just don't go there. Ever. If you have issues with the website, wait a couple of hours and CALL the airline. As you have so painfully learned, finding out days later means that you have purchased the tix and it's too late to cancel it. What a shame. The internet is NOT your friend, don't put that card number into the blanks until you know you're ready to buy. Once you do that and receive any kind of error notice, call immediately. Don't book another tix. Yes, it's the airline's website causing the problem, but as in anything airline, the passenger loses.

I am confused about your request for a full refund. You did buy the tix, you just didn't know that. Why do you want a refund? If your plans have changed, it might be possible to convince the airline to reissue your tix without a fee ... remotely possible but always worth a try. Please come back to us if we can further assist.

Mar 5, 2019
This, unfortunately, is a story we see almost weekly. Once you enter your payment information you've usually bought the tix. Just don't go there. Ever. If you have issues with the website, wait a couple of hours and CALL the airline. As you have so painfully learned, finding out days later means that you have purchased the tix and it's too late to cancel it. What a shame. The internet is NOT your friend, don't put that card number into the blanks until you know you're ready to buy. Once you do that and receive any kind of error notice, call immediately. Don't book another tix. Yes, it's the airline's website causing the problem, but as in anything airline, the passenger loses.

I am confused about your request for a full refund. You did buy the tix, you just didn't know that. Why do you want a refund? If your plans have changed, it might be possible to convince the airline to reissue your tix without a fee ... remotely possible but always worth a try. Please come back to us if we can further assist.
Hey, thank you for your input. I may not have been clear about what happened...
Apparently I bought the tickets, yes, but I never received a confirmation email or any email with tickets saying I was flying out. The website literally just redirected me to their home page saying there was an error and I thought my card wasn't charged since I didn't get an email notification. I didn't end up flying to Malta because I didn't know I was charged until too late, which is when I called them immediately, and many times, to try to resolve it.
Is there anybody who has contact at AirMalta that can help?

Avi

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
You probably can't get your money back, but since you didn't use the tickets, you should at least be able to get a credit for a future flight.

Sep 19, 2015
The attempt to purchase happened in December for a Jan 1 departure. When was the withdrawal notice seen?

Are you sure there was no email that went to spam?

Did you cancel the tickets or had you bought a replacement set?

It is generally too late to contact a bank -- there is usually 60 days to dispute and if the charge was noticed in December 60 days has passed.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Hey, thank you for your input. I may not have been clear about what happened...
Apparently I bought the tickets, yes, but I never received a confirmation email or any email with tickets saying I was flying out. The website literally just redirected me to their home page saying there was an error and I thought my card wasn't charged since I didn't get an email notification. I didn't end up flying to Malta because I didn't know I was charged until too late, which is when I called them immediately, and many times, to try to resolve it.
Is there anybody who has contact at AirMalta that can help?

Avi
You were very clear. You bought the tix. I advised that when you don't get confirmation or get an error message on the website, you need to CALL the airline. They are not going to contact you, you need to be proactive within the free cancellation period.