Airline travel insurance

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 26, 2019
We bought a airline ticket for my daughter to fly tonight from NY to Lax and going back Monday Lax to NY with just fly before we booked we spoke to them and we explain that she is coming because her dad is having a surgery after a liver transplant, and we are not sure so they suggested to buy travel insurance and we did . Unfortunately the surgery got pushed beyond his health issues. We are trying already almost a week to either cancel the ticket or change the dates. The flights are JetBlue and Alaska airline no one wants to help they keep saying call just fly just fly say call the airline the airline said call insurance.... we can’t deal with that anymore the customer service for all of them very mean and my daughter is a third year student at a college and financially we can’t afford to lose money.
What can we do ?
Ruth Raviv

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Your problem is you booked through a third party. If you had booked directly you wouldn’t be having this issue because the airline would deal directly.

You have to go through justfly who is one of the very few online travel agencies that the BBB recommends not to book through. They rarely even respond to us .

They have to make the changes for you and you will have to pay change fees and hopefully the travel insurance will reimburse you.
Here are our contacts and don’t let them tell you to go to the airline- ask for a supervisor and tell them they are your agency and the airline will
only deal with them:

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/justfly-com/

Feb 26, 2019
Your problem is you booked through a third party. If you had booked directly you wouldn’t be having this issue because the airline would deal directly.

You have to go through justfly who is one of the very few online travel agencies that the BBB recommends not to book through. They rarely even respond to us .

They have to make the changes for you and you will have to pay change fees and hopefully the travel insurance will reimburse you.
Here are our contacts and don’t let them tell you to go to the airline- ask for a supervisor and tell them they are your agency and the airline will
only deal with them:

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/justfly-com/
Thank you

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
This is exactly the problem with them and why the BBB says to stay away. Try again without asking for a supervisor but telling them the airlines will not talk to you and they are your agent and you need them to help. The problem is there is really no time to get this fixed and if its not not fixed she may be marked a no show and forfeit the entire ticket.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
That’s not true - they can and should rebook you- which is why I suggested asking for a supervisor. Unfortunately this is a specific problem with JustFlys customer service. You may have to just cancel the flight BUT you need to see if the insurance will cover the cancellation. It often doesn’t cover for surgery dates changing so insurance might not reimburse you. (I am not sure if that’s what you were saying why your daughter has to cancel the flight).

You are going to have to start a letter writing campaign to Justfly Executives.

Sep 19, 2015
Did you try to cancel or change online?

To cancel your flights
1) Sign in to booking page
2)
In the menu, click on Cancel Booking.
3) Follow the instructions on the page to cancel your flights.

The process is the same to change.

There is a reason Justfly has a terrible reputation.

Are these two separate one way tickets? Is the Alaska fare one of the basic economy use it or lose it tickets?

Feb 26, 2019
That’s not true - they can and should rebook you- which is why I suggested asking for a supervisor. Unfortunately this is a specific problem with JustFlys customer service. You may have to just cancel the flight BUT you need to see if the insurance will cover the cancellation. It often doesn’t cover for surgery dates changing so insurance might not reimburse you. (I am not sure if that’s what you were saying why your daughter has to cancel the flight).

You are going to have to start a letter writing campaign to Justfly Executives.
The insurance won’t cover and to change its $200 each way .... so I guess forget about that ticket

Sep 19, 2015
The insurance won’t cover and to change its $200 each way .... so I guess forget about that ticket
Is the change fee higher than the fare? Also Justfly may charge their own service fee which may make it even more expensive.

This is the negative with two one way fares, the fee is charged each way.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If you rebook- please book directly with the airline. Any time you use a third party the airline will not deal directly with you. Also make sure you understand the terms of insurance. If your daughter had to cancel her ticket because she was home with her Dad and he took a turn for the worse and she eas leaving on a trip, travel outbound, that would be usually be covered, but this circumstance is usually not unless you have a cancel for any reason plan.

If you canceled the flight you would usually receive a credit less a cancellation fee for a future flight but if the cancellation fee is higher then the ticket, there is nothing left.

I’m sorry you have to deal with this on top of worrying aboot your husband.

Jan 6, 2015
Going forward, speak with an agent before selecting a travel insurance plan. Coverage under "Basic" plans, which may be the type you purchased, is minimal. An agent can ask/listen and recommend the coverage needed for your circumstance. Online insurance companies have agents ready to assist.

Travel insurance plans are quite complex in addressing a wide variety of needs . . .