Airline served expired food

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 15, 2018
Hi. Everyone.
I recently flew with BA from IAD to LHR, it was Apr 30, I got served expired food.
It was a Kosher Meal.
I made pictures of the food.
Is there anything that I can expect for compensation from the airline?

May 15, 2018
It says use by 0421/18.
My trip was Apr 30.
The whole meal was a kosher for passover meal, and the Jewish holiday of Passover was Mar 31 to Apr 07.
I have pictures but I cant upload it here

johnbaker

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2014
@Jo 08701 Here's your challenge in this case... No airline will guarantee that they'll serve you a special meal. Beyond that, you caught it before you ate it so there's no actual threat to your health (as opposed to getting food poisoning).

If you are going to ask, ask for either funny money (vouchers) or miles in a low amount (like the value of an equivalent meals in a restaurant). They're much more likely to listen to and answer a reasonable request for something other than cash. In their mind, this is a service failure (like someone yelling at you).

Sep 19, 2015
Did you point this out to the flight attendants?

From the link Neil posted use by date is not an expiration date.

I would send an email so UA can complain to the caterer which is a separate company.

UA May give some miles for it or a small voucher

May 15, 2018
Did you point this out to the flight attendants?

From the link Neil posted use by date is not an expiration date.

I would send an email so UA can complain to the caterer which is a separate company.

UA May give some miles for it or a small voucher
Yes I did, they filed a complain and they were very apologizing, by breakfast they didn't served the Kosher meal, as it was also expired, they just brought over fruits from first class

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
I would write to complain about it using our company contacts and I would also point out that it's not necessary to serve a kosher for Passover meal when it's not Passover. Only someone who keeps kosher (like I do) would understand why this is annoying to have happen.

http://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/

May 15, 2018
I would write to complain about it using our company contacts and I would also point out that it's not necessary to serve a kosher for Passover meal when it's not Passover. Only someone who keeps kosher (like I do) would understand why this is annoying to have happen.

http://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/
Hi. Happy to see that there are others here who understand the issue.
It's real a shame that in the US market the kosher meal is disgusting, compared to when you fly from the UK or Isreal where you get an edible meal, and they won't serve you not appropriate meals.
Another example is in the nine days, Hermolis from the UK won't serve you a meal with meat, vs here in the US you can get it.
Now this issue is not so important to some when they fly from their hometown as they will bring their own food, but this isn't an excuse for the Airline /catering company to treat the kosher market in such a way, especially when you can see others do better, and I am sure the US kosher market is bigger than the UK.