Airline reservation that are cancel-able with no penalty

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 17, 2019
I am preparing to apply for a visa for a European country. One of the many requirements is a copy of the airline itinerary along with the agent name and contact information. I did find a service that charged a lot for providing this info, but by asking many questions found that they only provide a paper with an itinerary. They were quite evasive on the agent and contact point. Finally, they owned up to the truth, and told me that was not available.
I do not want to pay for two tickets and risk the loss of all that money if the visa is not approved. The embassy in very unresponsive. How can I get what I need with no risk on my part. I am willing to pay a service for valid documentation that is verifiable. However, If the visa is approved, I will shop for best fares & cancel if necessary. Comments please.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
All airlines offer refundable and nonrefundable tickets. Book directly with the airline and check off refundable fares when you search. They are quite a bit more expensive but ultimately can save you if you have to cancel. But read the terms and conditions carefully to insure you fully understand the rules.

Do NOT use an online travel agency for this-
book directly with the airline.

Jan 17, 2019
Neil, many thanks for your help. I did not think it would be that easy. I will be sure to have the T & C's emailed to me before we confirm reservations. I am assuming they will want full payment up front. Any work around for that type of requirement.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Neil, many thanks for your help. I did not think it would be that easy. I will be sure to have the T & C's emailed to me before we confirm reservations. I am assuming they will want full payment up front. Any work around for that type of requirement.
No. You always have to pay in advance unless you are booking a package that may not require you to pay in full.

For instance, Royal Caribbean now allows you to pay for air booked with them for a cruise at final payment. That allows changes and cancellations up to that date with no penalties. This worked out well for a client that booked a triple cabin for Alaska recently. One of the three couldn’t go and her ticket was canceled with no penalties.

Dwayne Coward

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Apr 13, 2016
St. Louis
Three weeks. Surprised they would not sell a non-refundable ticket at higher price/refundable.
Fares are allocated in the inventory by class. If there are 10 seats in First Class on a flight, they may allocate 5 of them as F Class, fully refundable fares, and 5 of them as D class, non-refundable. If the 5 F class fares are purchased for that particular flight, then all that may remain is D fare class tickets. This is an oversimplification, as there are usually more fare classes with various rules. The refundable fares are more popular with business travelers (and usually priced for that market), as their travel plans usually require the flexibility to change or cancel.