Airline refund for death in family

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 4, 2019
Hello,
I booked a ticket through Expedia for travel on Aug 23 through Etihad Airlines
My mother unfortunately passed away on Aug 16 and I could not make that trip.
I filed a refund request with Expedia on Sept 7 and in spite of several reminders, I am yet to get any updates on the status of my refund.
Every email I sent to them comes back with a standard reply that they are waiting to hear from the Airline and that it typically takes 45 days or so to get a refund
It has been close to 60 days now since my refund request.
I have sent them a copy of the death certificate and the relationship document to my mother.

Appreciate if some one could advise me on the nest steps.

Regards,
MKM

May 28, 2019
If you purchased this with your credit card, many cards will cover this. However I don't know what time limitations credit cards have

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I’m truly sorry for the loss of your Mom.

Did you buy travel insurance? That’s what would cover this. If you didn’t, check with the credit card you used and see if they offer insurance. If you have neither, you can try to pursue it further with the airline.

You will need a copy of the death certificate. Did you send that?

Expedia also can’t just refund the money- they have to go to the airline and see if the airline will make an exception for you. So they may not have heard from
the airline. We have company contacts on top of our pages- you can get the contact information for Expedia and write to them.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
I’m truly sorry for the loss of your Mom.

Did you buy travel insurance? That’s what would cover this. If you didn’t, check with the credit card you used and see if they offer insurance. If you have neither, you can try to pursue it further with the airline.

You will need a copy of the death certificate. Did you send that?

Expedia also can’t just refund the money- they have to go to the airline and see if the airline will make an exception for you. So they may not have heard from
the airline. We have company contacts on top of our pages- you can get the contact information for Expedia and write to them.
Line in OP’s post:

I have sent them a copy of the death certificate and the relationship document to my mother.

May 30, 2019
This would be an exception request, especially because the OP is requesting a refund after the fact. It may have helped if he/she cancelled the ticket & put in a refund request before the departure date. (I know this can be hard to do when dealing with a death in the family, yet the airline would have had an open/unused seat.)

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
This would be an exception request, especially because the OP is requesting a refund after the fact. It may have helped if he/she cancelled the ticket & put in a refund request before the departure date. (I know this can be hard to do when dealing with a death in the family, yet the airline would have had an open/unused seat.)
You are absolutely right- if you were a no show, they may not honor it and travel insurance might not either. OP - did you cancel the reservation before the flight or did you just not show up?

Nov 4, 2019
I had cancelled my ticket before the journey date, so I was not a no show. I am also checking with the credit card company but again I get the standard response. I have also send emails and reminders to Expedia Execs listed in the website.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Is the insurance not reimbursing you for the cancelled ticket? The insurance policy would not cover the cost of the new ticket. Is there a reason you did not just change the ticket to accommodate your travel home rather than cancel the ticket and buy a new ticket?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If you bought travel insurance, that’s what would help you- Expedia can’t refund you, they have to request it from the airline and the airline has no obligation to refund you- that’s what insurance is for. There should be no issue with a non response from the credit card company if you ask if they provide any type of travel insurance. Either they do or they don’t. Have you asked your cc company if there is any type of insurance?

Have you called Eithad directly to ask if they provide refunds in your case?

A credit card dispute probably won’t work because the airline and Expedia did nothing wrong. Insurance is what should have been used as this is what it’s for.

Nov 4, 2019
I did not purchase any travel insurance but the credit card used to make the purchase does offer the insurance. I understand that Expedia cannot issue the refund and it has to come from the Airline. But the airline will not respond to my emails or phone calls as they will deal only with Expedia. Also agree that this is not a credit card dispute.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Have you contacted the insurance company that administers your credit card's insurance policy?
This is what you need to do. That’s what the insurance is for. Don’t waste any more time on this with the airline- there may be a time limit for the claim. Call the credit card company today and tell them you need to file an insurance claim.

Nov 4, 2019
The airline had given me 1 year to re-use the ticket with a change fee. The credit card has issued me a check for the change fee but will not pay for the balance till they get a statement that the ticket has not been re-issued (which makes sense to me). So in essense, I have to wait 1 year to get a refund on the balance of the amount.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The airline had given me 1 year to re-use the ticket with a change fee. The credit card has issued me a check for the change fee but will not pay for the balance till they get a statement that the ticket has not been re-issued (which makes sense to me). So in essense, I have to wait 1 year to get a refund on the balance of the amount.
Most insurance will have an affidavit you can complete stating you will not use the credit and they will process the claim.

Nov 4, 2019
Most insurance will have an affidavit you can complete stating you will not use the credit and they will process the claim.
This is very good information that I was not aware of. Is the template for the affidavit something that the insurance company would have or something that I need to create? If it is the latter, what should be included in the affidavit? If I file the affidavit, how would the insurance verify that the airline funds will not be used in the future? Not something that I would do but just curious.

Mar 17, 2015
When I had to cancel a trip earlier this year, I simply cancelled the flight and did not even ask airline for a credit, since I knew I would not use it within the year of making the reservation. When I submitted the claim to my 3rd party insurance, I did have to submit the statement that I would not use/did not have a credit with the airline. You should not have to wait the year from the time of making the reservation to be reimbursed.

Nov 4, 2019
The problem in my case is that I had submitted a statement from Expedia (through whom I had booked my ticket) to my insurance agent that stated that I had a credit that I could use till July, 2020. So maybe the affidavit will not help now?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The problem in my case is that I had submitted a statement from Expedia (through whom I had booked my ticket) to my insurance agent that stated that I had a credit that I could use till July, 2020. So maybe the affidavit will not help now?
Not necessarily. Tell them you will not be able to use the credit and would like an affidavit to complete now.