AirFrance refund change fee

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 7, 2019
I purchased a non-stop AirFrance flight SFO-CDG, Premium Economy 12/31/2017- 09/28/2018. An AirFrance agent advised us to purchase a Premium Economy ticket as we would not be charged a change fee, which is the reason I opted for Premium Economy class. Yet, when I needed to change the return date,I was charged: 300 Euros = $ 343.35
I asked to be reimbursed, before the return date, but was refused.
Note: The airline cancelled my return portion of my original ticket, which I found out when I came in to change the return date.

Booking references and dates.
OJ8R6S 12/31/2017 SFO-CDG
OJ8R6S 27/11/2018 Nice-CDG
OJ8R6S 11/28/2018 CDG-SFO

I would like to receive $ 343.- AirFrance cancelled my return portion of my ticket, then made more mistakes, causing us much worry, frustration and time spent visiting and waiting at their office in Nice, France.

Sep 19, 2015
I am sorry but I do not understand.

The class of service has nothing to do with the change fee.

There are change fees in discounted economy, premium economy, business and first.

There are more flexible tickets have no fees.

Why was the return canceled?

Can you give the fare code or some a copy of receipt with your info blacked out?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I’m confused. First, I don’t see no fees as part of premium economy.

But you wanted to change the date of your return ticket, what do you mean they canceled the return portion of your original ticket?

This is what AirFrance says about premium economy.

CONDITIONS
  • Fares shown are round-trip. A portion of travel for some itineraries may be on any of our partner airlines.
  • Fares shown are available at airfrance.us.
  • Tickets are non-transferable. Seats are limited.
  • Prices may change without prior notice. Blackout Dates may apply.
  • Minimum Stay : 5 days
  • Maximum Stay : 6 months
  • Advanced Purchase : 28 days
  • Fare Validity : Fares are valid in Premium Economy Cabin on Air France and certain codeshare partner flights only.
  • Fares shown are valid for outbound travel Sunday to Wednesday and inbound travel Tuesday through Thursday.
  • Higher fares apply for travel outbound travel Thursday through Saturday and inbound travel Friday through Sunday.
  • Cancellations/Refunds/Changes : Tickets are nonrefundable except in accordance with Air France’s cancellation policy.
  • Fees may apply for downgrades/reissues and itinerary changes.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Please make a list of the facts in chronological order so we may assist you. What you've posted is confusing to us and we would like to help.

Jan 7, 2019
Please, find below in chronological order, my travel data. I tried to keep it as succinct as possible, yet wanted to show the airline's mistakes.

Overview of our trip: non-stop flight AirFrance SFO-CDG for husband and wife couple with their two small dogs. Both departing SFO 12/31/17 with one dog in hold and one in cabin. Return flight planned for late November 2108, again with husband and wife and both dogs.
A single flight NCE-CDG for November 27, 2018, was added dd 09/11/2018 but did not come into play in the following chain of events.

In September 2017, I purchased an Air France non-stop return ticket SFO- CDG in Premium Economy class, departing December 31, 2017, with a return date for September 15, 2018. I was going to stay away for (almost) a year, so I knew then already that I would need to change my return flight at a later date. September 15 was the latest available date available at that time. On advise of Air France’s agent in San Francisco, Premium Economy was chosen because Air France would not charge me a change fee.

As per Air France agent's instructions, I called in later, November/December 2017, to add my dog for in-cabin travel. At that time either Air France or Delta (who was the actual carrier) not only changed my seat arrangement but also dropped my class assignment from Premium Economy to Economy class. As I noticed I was no longer seated next to my husband, I called in the next day to have this corrected. The correction was made, but I later on saw that my first name was misspelled. So I called again to have my name spelled correctly on my ticket.
(These changes may have resulted in getting different reservation numbers, which made my ticket hard to find later in September 2018.)

September 11, 2018. I visit Air France office in Nice, in person to change return date from September 15, 2018 to November 28, 2018. Flight CDG-SFO.
Initially Air France in Nice could not find my flight and told me to buy a single, new ticket (I forgot the exact amount, just that is was ridiculously high, over 2,000. Euros).
After a lot of searching, the Air France representative found my original ticket, but then mentioned that the return flight portion had been cancelled!! (not by me !). They could not tell me why it was cancelled. The Air France agent finally managed to add a new return flight -Premium Economy we stressed each time-, onto my ticket. She however, charged me a change fee penalty of 300 Euros. Air France agent confirmed that I had a Premium Economy class ticket. We paid on the spot, relieved that paying 300 Euros was at least better than 2,000 or more Euros.

Then on November 24, 2018, a few days before our return flight, we noticed that my ticket was down graded to Economy class, again. Again, we visited Air France Nice office, and were told that they could not change the class assignment, initially did not even see we had paid the penalty fee. Our case was then assigned to another Air France agent who then told me I never should have had to pay a change fee with Premium Economy ticket. She told us to come back as she needed to do more searching online to change my seat class assignment.
We went back the next day, I got my Premium Economy class ticket. Her colleague apparently had made an error by tagging my return flight onto an old ticket. Everything was corrected, I thought. However, when asking her about a refund, she backed off and said that not all tickets were without change fee.

Well, at last I got a ticket in the same class as my husband, although, during boarding, the stewardess told us to negotiate ourselves with one of the passengers for a seat change so my husband and I could sit next to each other for this long intercontinental flight. Luckily one passenger was happy to accommodate us.

In all, the whole experience was quite an ordeal with lots of confusion, worry and frequent visits and time waiting at Air France’s office. Respectfully, I am asking for a refund of 300 Euros, converted in US Dollars. I do not want a voucher. I should not have to pay for the errors made by the airline. The reason I had purchased a Premium Economy ticket was solely based on advise of the Air France agent in San Francisco, dd September, 2017, who mentioned that an eventual return date change would be free of charge.

Sep 19, 2015
But was there a change in fare? If there was a 300 change fee why only one change fee charged if there were two of you?

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This is still quite garbled, but I'll make an attempt. I don't understand about the dogs or your first name or the Nice office not finding your res or your seat assignments changing ... do these have any bearing on your issue? I may be over-simplifying, but I don't see any errors by Air France.

As far as I know, all non-ref tix have change fees. The class of service does not matter. You were misinformed, or misunderstood that there was no change fee on a PE tix. $300 sounds right for an international tix change fee. I'm sorry this was such an ordeal.

Jul 13, 2016
The problem with your claim is that has become a she said/he said account. Unless you have the no change fee promise in writing, you will get nowhere with Air France.

Another wrinkle is the fare difference. AF may not have charged a change fee, but charged a fare difference from your original return flight, to the new return flight. When I issue an airline ticket, it states "changes allowed $300 penalty and any fare difference". As Christina H pointed out, it seems odd that there would be only one change fee for two travelers.

Mar 23, 2015
[QUOTE=" As Christina H pointed out, it seems odd that there would be only one change fee for two travelers.[/QUOTE]

I could be wrong, but I got the idea that all of these ticketing issues seemed to only affect the OPs ticket...not her husband's ticket. But I could be wrong. It was all a little confusing.

Sep 19, 2015
[QUOTE=" As Christina H pointed out, it seems odd that there would be only one change fee for two travelers.
I could be wrong, but I got the idea that all of these ticketing issues seemed to only affect the OPs ticket...not her husband's ticket. But I could be wrong. It was all a little confusing.[/QUOTE]

I also have a hard time following the story. But it seems to me that 2 tickets were bought for December 31 2017 to September 15 2018 and then the return date was changed for both tickets to November 28 2018? As there is an issue with being seated together?

Sep 19, 2015
It would be helpful if the OP would post original itinerary (with name, payment info etc blacked out) and well as a receipt for the euro 300 payment as there seems to be a lot of confusion about what happened.

Jan 7, 2019
Thank you for trying to help me.
Upon request, please see the following regarding my Air France travel. It is my position that Air France caused the date change and should not have charged me a change fee. I am asking for a 300 Euros refund.

Tickets purchased for our 11-months trip to France;
H = husband, W = me.
W: Return ticket SFO-CDG 12/31/2017- (wanting to return late November 2018. Booking ref: OJ8R6S
Airline's latest possible date to return however, at time of purchase, was mid September.
H: Return ticket SFO-CDG dep. 12/31/2017, and return 03/01/2018. Booking ref: OEQW3V.
H: Single Iberia ticket Oakland-Barcelona dep. ~ 20/03/2018 (plus takes train from Barcelona to return to MPL, France).

H: Single ticket NCE-CDG 11/27/2018. Booking ref: K6IUNB
H: Return ticket CDG-SFO 11/28/2018 Booking ref: K6IUNB (of which return portion is not used).
W: Single ticket NCE-CDG 11/27/2018. Booking ref: OJ8R6S
W: (new) Single ticket CDG-SFO 11/28/2018, Booking ref: OJ8R6S
Air France tells me that my return portion of my original ticket (Booking ref: OJ8R6S) was cancelled, no reason given. A new single ticket was created because of it.

Why would I have to pay for a change date fee ? My November 2018 return date was not available when I booked, since Air France's booking schedule ended in September 2018. It was due to the airline's limited booking schedule, not my doing, that the date needed changing !

Note: Air France cancelled my return portion of original ticket !
Note: Air France did not charge me for the CDG-SFO ticket but charged 300 Euros for a change of date.

Respectfully, I request a refund of 300 Euros.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Thank you for trying to help me.
Upon request, please see the following regarding my Air France travel. It is my position that Air France caused the date change and should not have charged me a change fee. I am asking for a 300 Euros refund.

Tickets purchased for our 11-months trip to France;
H = husband, W = me.
W: Return ticket SFO-CDG 12/31/2017- (wanting to return late November 2018. Booking ref: OJ8R6S
Airline's latest possible date to return however, at time of purchase, was mid September.
H: Return ticket SFO-CDG dep. 12/31/2017, and return 03/01/2018. Booking ref: OEQW3V.
H: Single Iberia ticket Oakland-Barcelona dep. ~ 20/03/2018 (plus takes train from Barcelona to return to MPL, France).

H: Single ticket NCE-CDG 11/27/2018. Booking ref: K6IUNB
H: Return ticket CDG-SFO 11/28/2018 Booking ref: K6IUNB (of which return portion is not used).
W: Single ticket NCE-CDG 11/27/2018. Booking ref: OJ8R6S
W: (new) Single ticket CDG-SFO 11/28/2018, Booking ref: OJ8R6S
Air France tells me that my return portion of my original ticket (Booking ref: OJ8R6S) was cancelled, no reason given. A new single ticket was created because of it.

Why would I have to pay for a change date fee ? My November 2018 return date was not available when I booked, since Air France's booking schedule ended in September 2018. It was due to the airline's limited booking schedule, not my doing, that the date needed changing !

Note: Air France cancelled my return portion of original ticket !
Note: Air France did not charge me for the CDG-SFO ticket but charged 300 Euros for a change of date.

Respectfully, I request a refund of 300 Euros.
So you bought a ticket based on the last day tickets were available because the airline hadn’t extended their booking dates when you knew you wanted to return AFTER the last date you were allowed to book?

If that’s what you did- that’s not how ticketing works. You simply wait until the schedule is extended before you buy the ticket. You cannot do what you did and expect to make a date change for free later.

Am I reading this correctly?

Mar 29, 2016
The fare rules of the ticket, which is indicated by a "letter" fare code, determine what can and can't be done and any associated costs. These rules are the final say, excepting artful begging.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The fare rules of the ticket, which is indicated by a "letter" fare code, determine what can and can't be done and any associated costs. These rules are the final say, excepting artful begging.
From her latest post- she booked the air too early- when Air France wasn’t open to booking her return date- and assumed she could simply change the return date at no charge.

That’s not how the system works. You have to wait until the system is open for both your outgoing AND your return dates. And there is no where I have seen that premium economy gets free changes.

Jan 7, 2019
So you bought a ticket based on the last day tickets were available because the airline hadn’t extended their booking dates when you knew you wanted to return AFTER the last date you were allowed to book?

If that’s what you did- that’s not how ticketing works. You simply wait until the schedule is extended before you buy the ticket. You cannot do what you did and expect to make a date change for free later.

Am I reading this correctly?
Yes, you are. Why did the AF agent tell us to buy PE tickets to accommodate a return date 11 months after departure date? We assumed that the airline never would have a 12 months schedule.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Yes, you are. Why did the AF agent tell us to buy PE tickets to accommodate a return date 11 months after departure date? We assumed that the airline never would have a 12 months schedule.
You were misinformed. In future, if you want to book flights outside the airline's calendar, just book the outbound and book the return when that week opens up on the calendar. Ask the airline for an exception to their rules and request some compensation. If you write to them, making a list of the relevant facts would be helpful. If the person reading your email cannot understand what happened in one read-through, it will get "set aside" and probably will never be acted on. A good way to check your narrative is to have someone read it who knows nothing about what happened. Have them tell you what happened. Then you'll see what's clear and what needs more work. Good luck.