airfare refunds due to political unrest?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 14, 2018
I was planning a trip to Nicaragua to go see Ometepe island this June, but the recent demonstrations and violence have me reconsidering. I called Copa about cancelling and getting my fares refunded, but they said they will not refund the money because they are still operating in and out of Managua. The U.S. State Department has issued a travel advisory warning Americans to not travel to Nicaragua. My friend there has given me first hand account of the danger and difficulty, and the Washington Post has an article today about the violence and danger. How can I give this information to Copa, and get them to reconsider their stance on refunds? When I bought the fares on their website, travel insurance was not offered.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Do you have Travel insurance that covers civil unrest?

The travel warning doesn’t say not to travel- it’s says reconsider and has tips for keeping safe if you do decide to travel. You are going to have a tough time every the the airline.

They will most likely allow you to cancel and pay a cancellation fee and you can rebook somewhere else. But you most likely will not see a refund.

Why don’t you try to change your plans and go somewhere else Copa flies to?

https://travel.state.gov/content/tr...aveladvisories/nicaragua-travel-advisory.html

When did you book your trip? The warning has been in effect for quite a while.

Sep 19, 2015
Most people buy independent travel insurance, not the one offered by the airline, as the coverage is better.

I do not know if travel insurance on credit cards covers civil unrest.

I am not sure that you will have luck with getting a refund unless the situation deteriorates more. Would you be able to use a credit (to fly Copa someplace else) and maybe ask for no cancellation fee?

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I totally understand your concern, Scott. We just need to figure out a way for you to change those tix without losing your shirt. As a general rule, you can cancel a non-ref tix and receive a credit towards a future flight. The credit is usually good for one year from the date of original purchase. When you use the credit, Copa will deduct a cancellation fee from the credit and you will pay for a new tix. However, if you purchased rock-bottom "use it or lose it" tix, you are totally out of luck.

So if you purchased a regular economy or biz class tix, just pick another destination that Copa flies to. And enjoy yourself!

May 14, 2018
Do you have Travel insurance that covers civil unrest?

The travel warning doesn’t say not to travel- it’s says reconsider and has tips for keeping safe if you do decide to travel. You are going to have a tough time every the the airline.

They will most likely allow you to cancel and pay a cancellation fee and you can rebook somewhere else. But you most likely will not see a refund.

Why don’t you try to change your plans and go somewhere else Copa flies to?

https://travel.state.gov/content/tr...aveladvisories/nicaragua-travel-advisory.html

When did you book your trip? The warning has been in effect for quite a while.
We booked in March, a month before the trouble started. The trip was to visit a friend who lives there, so going somewhere else is not really an option.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We booked in March, a month before the trouble started. The trip was to visit a friend who lives there, so going somewhere else is not really an option.
Did the airline advise you that you could cancel
and get a credit less a cancelation fee to use within a year? Or were your tickets totally non refundable?

We have Company Contacts on top of our page. Read the information on the page about how to write a successful letter and contact Copa and see if they will provide a refund.

http://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/copa-airlines/

It is worth a try. Be very polite and state you know you are asking for an exception and would appreciate a refund in view of the State Department warning. Don’t state anything about the warning saying not to travel because that’s not what it says- say it truthfully says it is recommended not to travel and due to this you are asking for an exception and a full refund.

Let us know how you make out. You may have to go to up to the executive level but don’t give up.

May 14, 2018
Did the airline advise you that you could cancel
and get a credit less a cancelation fee to use within a year? Or were your tickets totally non refundable?

We have Company Contacts on top of our page. Read the information on the page about how to write a successful letter and contact Copa and see if they will provide a refund.

http://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/copa-airlines/

It is worth a try. Be very polite and state you know you are asking for an exception and would appreciate a refund in view of the State Department warning. Don’t state anything about the warning saying not to travel because that’s not what it says- say it truthfully says it is recommended not to travel and due to this you are asking for an exception and a full refund.

Let us know how you make out. You may have to go to up to the executive level but don’t give up.
Thank you for your reply. I sent an email to the customer service link at your Contacts page. I asked about a refund, due to the demonstrations and the Travel advisory. I also asked if not a refund, maybe a voucher for future travel.