Airbnb takes the fun out of refund :(

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 23, 2018
Hello! This is my first time posting on a forum. I booked an Airbnb condo in Maui on August 28, 2018 for dates Oct 27-Nov 1. My plans changed and I canceled on September 7th. I received a cancellation confirmation saying that I would receive a $867.50 refund of my $939.27 deposit. I contacted the host and she said that she does show a refund on her end. I contacted Airbnb and they said that due to the strict cancellation policy I would not receive a refund because I did not cancel within 48 hours. I finally found the cancellation policy on the Airbnb listing but it was not stated in my contract. I’m hoping to recieve at least some of my deposit back. The host told me twice that she saw a refund on her end but Airbnb keep saying that due to district policy I would not receive a refund. I understand taking a service fee or a cancellation fee but at this point the host is getting about $750 of my deposit and the unit has already been rented out for those same dates. This was my first experience with Airbnb and I did not realize that the cancellation policy was on the listing and would not appear on the contract that I signed. Is there anything that I could do? I paid with debit and not a credit card . Thank you!

Sep 19, 2015
Is there a cancellation policy on your itinerary?

It does not matter if the place is booked after you cancelled— it matters what you agreed to as part of the booking process.

Is there a good reason that you cancelled?

Sep 23, 2018
Thank you for your response. The cancelation policy is not in the itinerary or the contract. The policy is on my receipt. It says .
Cancelation policy: Strict
Cancelation within 48 hours of booking and 14 days before check-in for a full refund. Cancel up to 7 days before check-in and get a 50% refund minus service fees. Cancel within 7 days of your trip and the reservation is non refundable.
This is confusing to me. The policy is also on the listing if you click on “see details” right below the total. My reason for canceling was because I was offered another condo at no cost from a friend.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Thank you for your response. The cancelation policy is not in the itinerary or the contract. The policy is on my receipt. It says .
Cancelation policy: Strict
Cancelation within 48 hours of booking and 14 days before check-in for a full refund. Cancel up to 7 days before check-in and get a 50% refund minus service fees. Cancel within 7 days of your trip and the reservation is non refundable.
This is confusing to me. The policy is also on the listing if you click on “see details” right below the total. My reason for canceling was because I was offered another condo at no cost from a friend.
What do you mean by receipt? Do you mean on your confirmation?

Can you give us a link to the property so we can look at the refund policy? All listings have it- you might used to click on it in the listing to read it.

Oct 13, 2015
I can't speak to the confusion about the refund but I use Airbnb a fair bit and the cancellation policy isn't buried. It's under the map, with the house rules, and in normal size font.

Sep 23, 2018
No! I did not say that it was hard to find. I’m saying that as a first time user it was confusing. There were 3 cancelation policies. Yes, it is listed on the bottom of the listing if you click “see details” . There is also a more detailed description at the end of checkout. The contract that I signed did not have the cancelation policy on it. This probably doesn’t matter since I hit through the checkout process and paid the deposit before receiving the contract from the host. My issue that when I cancelled, my cancelation confirmation showed a refund amount of $867.50. I checked with the host to confirm and she said that she saw a refund in her end. She said this in 2 separate messages. Even though the strict policy states no refund after 48 hours she verified that I would be receiving a refund. When I did not receive the refund by 12 days I contacted Airbnb. Airbnb said that the host would have to approve the refund. The host would then not approve the refund. Should the house be held to her word or does the contract that is being reinforced by Airbnb supersede the owner/host decision? I understand that a contract is a contract I’m just wondering if I would be entitled to any portion of my deposit at this point?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
It actually does tell you there is a strict refund policy- you have to click on the
Cancellation policy and the info. You had 48 hours to cancel with next penalty, too. Did you cancel within 48 hours?

Strict - Free cancellation for 48 hours
After that, cancel up to 7 days before check-in and get a 50% refund, minus the service fee.
Reservation confirmed
Full refund if check-in is at least 14 days away
48 hours later
50% refund, minus the service fee
7 days before check-in
No refund
Check-In
Get full details

Sep 23, 2018
Yes! I did see that and I spelled it out in a previous post above. To me it looks like I should recieve a 50% refund. I cancelled on day 10 Sept 7th and my reservation was not until October 27th.

Sep 21, 2018
"Full refund if check-in is at least 14 days away"

It sounds like you cancelled SIGNIFICANTLY more than two weeks in advance of your reservation, so you should be entitled to a full refund.

Last edited: