Airbnb refund problem for malfunctining listing

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 10, 2019
We reserved a listing through airbnb for 3 nights (july 7th- july 10th).
Upon arrival on a hot summer night we found the listing to be very very different from the way it was portrayed on airbnb - unsafe staircases, cramped rooms, tiny kitchen, bathroom with a barn door that does not lock and the list goes on and on...
But the main issue was that as stated it was very hot and humid and the ac units were extremely noisy and made it impossible to sleep.
We tried to resolve the issue with the host upon arrival but the host responded that we should open the windows...
After a sleepless night we had no choice and in order to salvage the remainder of our vacation cancelled the reservation and booked a hotel instead for the remaining two nights.
Before cancelling and after, we tried to have the host refund us for the two nights. We had multiple conversations with the host but he kept on giving the same response - this is not part of the cancellation policy.
We did not cancel on a whim. However we could not get the host to understand the problem or to get him to budge.
Tried to have airbnb involved - but they said that the host said there were ac units and that is true. The fact that they are noisy and therefore it is impossible to sleep did not seem to concen them.
All we ask for a refund for the two nights as explained above.
Can you assist in the matter?

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
You can reach out to Airbnb: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/airbnb/

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

There have been multiple similar problems with Airbnb on these forums. Airbnb does not visit each of its listings and you are at the mercy of the person who lists the property. They can list it in glowing terms and provide you with what you consider substandard accommodations.

Did you follow the Airbnb resolution process while you were at the property and before you left?

Jul 10, 2019
You can reach out to Airbnb: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/airbnb/

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

There have been multiple similar problems with Airbnb on these forums. Airbnb does not visit each of its listings and you are at the mercy of the person who lists the property. They can list it in glowing terms and provide you with what you consider substandard accommodations.

Did you follow the Airbnb resolution process while you were at the property and before you left?
I involved airbnb after cancelling. I tried to find another listing on airbnb but could not find one that can acomodate us at such a short notice.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I involved airbnb after cancelling. I tried to find another listing on airbnb but could not find one that can acomodate us at such a short notice.
If you cancelled without Airbnb involvement until after the fact they will probably decline to assist you. Their resolution process requires that Airbnb be involved in the process before you depart.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
And that is where you made your mistake. The Airbnb rules are clear - if you can't work it out with the owner, you need to contact them while you are there. They could have found you another place.

I don't have much hope but you should use our company contacts and try writing. A well written letter can sometimes get a no turned into a yes if it hits the right desk of an executive.

Jul 30, 2018
This appears to be a very old house, without central air conditioning. I can see in the photos that there are window a/c units which are notoriously loud, but that is the nature of the beast for these tiny units. Additionally, window units don't have the dehumidifying capability and cooling power of a central air conditioning unit.

Older homes were built at a time when people lived very different lifestyles than the modern era. As such there are bound to be quirks and eccentricities especially in the kitchens and baths. In fact, you can see in the photos the small size and unusual layout of the kitchen. While this is a lovely and quaint cottage, it is important when choosing a vacation rental to adjust your expectations accordingly.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
To our OP- have you stayed in b and b’s before? This is typical and the rooms certainly look small in the pictures. I have never booked a B and B with a shared bathroom, I always look for a private bath.

The place gets fabulous reviews but if you expect a hotel experience at a B and B you are making a mistake.

Feb 3, 2017
There is this quote in a review just from May this year: "the a/c and fans worked perfectly" -

As I sit in my in-home office here in NYC right now with my window air conditioner roaring away, I think this could be someone who perhaps has not had experience with them and being surprised by the noise.

My central air in other cities I've lived in were quiet as a tomb.

Gotta say, the house looks pretty cute.

Sep 19, 2015
I have to agree with BittyBoo — I live in NYC — and have window a/c units — even the “quiet” ones have a certain amount of noise. And saying ac too loud — unless the compressor is failing there is nothing to be done about the noise — they are louder than central because there is a compressor in each one.

May 28, 2019
They are operating this as a vacation rental house. It will not be the same type of experience as a hotel. And yes, window units are noisy - have you stayed overnight before in a room with a window air conditioner?

Mar 23, 2015
I think it's pretty adorable and a trip to the drugstore for a couple pairs of earplugs would have been a lot cheaper than losing $400!