AirBnb Long term rental

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 11, 2019
Synopsis:
1-7: Checked into airbnb
1-10: Started breaking out in hives
1-14: Found bedbugs; left property after being unable to reach host or landlord
1-15: Contacted AirBnb and sent pics of bugs and my bites...they said they would refund me and cover the cost of laundering all of my clothes (have it in writing)
1-16: Called AirBnb and told them the cost of laundering my clothes before I dropped them off and asked if there was a max they would cover, they said no (documented in my account history but I do not have a written record of this call)
1-21: Submitted my receipts ($600) and they offered to pay $100; I did not accept the offer and told them I expected them to honor their original offer of 100% coverage
2-7: Offered to pay $175; I did not accept the offer and reiterated that I expected them to honor their original offer of 100% coverage
I am currently awaiting a call from a supervisor but I’m not hopeful that will occur. What should I do next?

Feb 11, 2019
Because if you have bedbugs the clothes have to be dried. Unfortunately most of my clothes cannot be dried in the dryer so they had to be dry cleaned. Dry cleaning in New England is not cheap. This was also discussed with them in the initial complaint. So they were aware and I have that in writing.

Aug 9, 2017
Sorry- but how many things did you have dry-cleaned that it cost that much? To kill bedbugs, heat must be applied. I have put dry things in the drier and heated them without any damage to the fabric- this sounds like an inflated bill.

Feb 3, 2017
I read it as the $600 was for "refund" and cleaning of clothing from this sentence "they said they would refund me and cover the cost of laundering all of my clothes" - Maybe I read it incorrectly.

I thought the $600 included the refund promise for the cost of the rental or part of it plus the cleaning of clothes - I am not certain though

Feb 11, 2019
For clarification purposes: the cost of laundering my clothes was $600. I, too, felt like it was excessive which is why I had the discussion with them when I first filed the complaint and prior to dropping off my clothes. The initial conversation where they stated they would cover the cost I do have in writing; the follow up call to confirm they were willing to pay the cost is what I do not have in writing but am able to verify it is documented in my case file.

For context purposes, I just moved and the AirBnB was my place of residence until the incident occurred. So while many users use AirBnB as more of a short term accommodation with minimal belongings, I was actually here on a long term basis with all of my belongings; including ~175 lbs worth of clothing, bedding, towels, etc.

I will keep you all updated on the progress. Again, thank you to all who have responded with next steps.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I think that information about how you used it as a long term rental is important but you still didn’t need to dry clean - washing in hot water and a hot dryer are all you needed to do.

But use our contacts and go up the chain one one person at a time leaving week in between each letter. Let us know how you make out. If you have their promise in writing they should honor it.

Mar 17, 2015
I believe the op had clothing that could only be dry cleaned. Many women’s suiting pieces/ dresses/office wear still have dry clean only labels. I can easily see a $600 laundry bill, so long as it did not include dry cleaning for items that did not need, I.e. the towels and bedding. I also think since she called before doing it, the company should adhere to the verbal promise made.

Sep 19, 2015
As this was a long term rental I can understand how the OP had more luggage than expected.

The dryer at high heat for 30 plus minutes would work many items of my clothing but not all. I would not put cashmere sweaters or wools items into the dryer — they would go to the dry cleaner. Extended high heat shrinks the fibers.

I have turned into one of the insane bed inspecting people as soon as I get to a hotel. Luggage on racks or in bathroom at first as I pull the sheets to inspect.
I have a massive fear and hatred for them.

May 16, 2018
As this was a long term rental I can understand how the OP had more luggage than expected.

The dryer at high heat for 30 plus minutes would work many items of my clothing but not all. I would not put cashmere sweaters or wools items into the dryer — they would go to the dry cleaner. Extended high heat shrinks the fibers.

I have turned into one of the insane bed inspecting people as soon as I get to a hotel. Luggage on racks or in bathroom at first as I pull the sheets to inspect.
I have a massive fear and hatred for them.
Fortunately, I've never encountered bed bugs. Just wondering...when you inspect a freshly laundered and made bed, what are you looking for? Can you see the bugs? Or are you looking for other evidence?

Sep 19, 2015
Jane I do the same as Neil. I pull the sheets and look at the corners of the mattress and slide the mattress to look at box springs. I use the flashlight on my phone. There are various websites that show you what to look for.

I do it as a preventative measure because one just never knows.