Airbnb Long Term Cancellation Policy

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 19, 2019
Airbnb has a new cancellation policy that applies to all 28+ night stays called "long term cancellation policy".
It is an Airbnb policy and overrides the host's policy for all stays of 28+ nights. It states that the 1st month of all long term stays are non-refundable. For my winter vacations in Arizona I am booking by the month over a year in advance. This means that if anything happens in the next 12 months I can not be refunded except for extenuating circumstances. I have used the website since realizing this NEW policy and see that the host's preferred cancellation policy appears for shorter stays but changes when requesting 28 or more nights. As I was unaware of this change when I booked my winter 2020 vacation of 2 separate locations of 1 month each. I have prepaid approximately $6,000 USD which I can not recoup should some non-extenuating circumstances arise. Also if the host cancels for me so that I can get my refund, the host accommodation is automatically blocked as unavailable and can not re-book their open capacity, thus loosing their income.
I would like to see that this policy be removed and the host's preferred policy again become the only cancellation policy for the accommodation.
IMHO this is strictly a grab by Airbnb so that they do not have to process cancellations.

Sep 19, 2015
Airbnb has a new cancellation policy that applies to all 28+ night stays called "long term cancellation policy".
It is an Airbnb policy and overrides the host's policy for all stays of 28+ nights. It states that the 1st month of all long term stays are non-refundable. For my winter vacations in Arizona I am booking by the month over a year in advance. This means that if anything happens in the next 12 months I can not be refunded except for extenuating circumstances. I have used the website since realizing this NEW policy and see that the host's preferred cancellation policy appears for shorter stays but changes when requesting 28 or more nights. As I was unaware of this change when I booked my winter 2020 vacation of 2 separate locations of 1 month each. I have prepaid approximately $6,000 USD which I can not recoup should some non-extenuating circumstances arise. Also if the host cancels for me so that I can get my refund, the host accommodation is automatically blocked as unavailable and can not re-book their open capacity, thus loosing their income.
I would like to see that this policy be removed and the host's preferred policy again become the only cancellation policy for the accommodation.
IMHO this is strictly a grab by Airbnb so that they do not have to process cancellations.
I am not sure that this is a money grab -- I live in a place where short term rentals of entire apartments in buildings with over 3 apartments is not legal.

People were booking for 30 days to be in compliance with the law -- so booking a month -- and then cancelling the last 3 weeks and getting a refund -- and then the air bnb host could say ' not my fault I complied with the law, I rented for 30 days guest cancelled' but there was an agreement between guest and host to do this to skirt past the law. Where I live the fines do not go to the air bnb guest, so as long as guest cancelled --

I think the rule changed because of the new local civil enforcements and fines against short term rentals.

You can always get travel insurance.

Mar 19, 2019
I am not sure that this is a money grab -- I live in a place where short term rentals of entire apartments in buildings with over 3 apartments is not legal.

People were booking for 30 days to be in compliance with the law -- so booking a month -- and then cancelling the last 3 weeks and getting a refund -- and then the air bnb host could say ' not my fault I complied with the law, I rented for 30 days guest cancelled' but there was an agreement between guest and host to do this to skirt past the law. Where I live the fines do not go to the air bnb guest, so as long as guest cancelled --

I think the rule changed because of the new local civil enforcements and fines against short term rentals.

You can always get travel insurance.
Christina,
I am not sure how the new long term cancellation policy fits the model you suggest. The guest always pays the Airbnb fees through whichever means the cancellation takes, so if there was collaboration a penalty would be incurred by those involved. The host has the option for a variety of cancellation policies, some of which are strict and no refund. The host can also require a minimum number of nights stay. If the owners are not using these tools offered then I guess they are not complying with the law. It would be obvious from their listing that they do not comply. I am not aware of such a law but then I am not a host.
Possibly Airbnb if they must also comply with local civil enforcement would be bound by the same laws and need to verify which hosts their new policy should be applied to and not a carte blanche approach.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Unfortunately, this is a totally unregulated way to book rooms and it’s Airbnbs playground so they can make any rules up they want.

It seems that if you were already booked before they changed the cancellation policy, the policy that was in effect when you booked should be honored. When you booked and clicked on the cancellation policy at the time of booking, what did it say?

Have you used our company contacts to write to Airbnb to ask them to change their policy? That’s what you would need to do, it isn’t something we can do for you here.

Feb 28, 2019
I am curious, you stated that "you would like to see this policy removed"....but this forum isn't run by AirBnb nor does it have any association or decision making ability. Since it seems you are quite aware of the policy and make bookings after becoming aware, what exactly are you asking for?

By the way, there are over 19k cities and 3k counties in the U.S., if I were AirBnb, I would most certainly use the carte blanche approach rather than try to sort out each municipality's laws. Keeping track of 22k sets of laws is a bit unreasonable to ask of them.

Sep 27, 2017
I am curious, you stated that "you would like to see this policy removed"....but this forum isn't run by AirBnb nor does it have any association or decision making ability. Since it seems you are quite aware of the policy and make bookings after becoming aware, what exactly are you asking for?
I'm sure the OP wan't expecting this website to change AirBNB policy. "I'd like to see..." Is just an expression, not a direct demand.

The OP is not asking for anything, but giving a head's up to fellow travelers who like to sniff out scammy practices on a forum for travelers who like to sniff out scammy practices. It's one more layer of preventive medicine.