Airbnb cancels my account and booking

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 10, 2018
On February 11, 2018 I set up an account on the Airbnb website. I immediately received an email to verify my email address, which I did and shortly thereafter received another email from Airbnb that I was all set to go. After looking at various properties, and trading some emails with the perspective host I decided to book the property on February 16. I first received an email confirming my form of payment and then received a confirmation of the booking. I also received another email with a link to my receipt. I also want to point out that at the time of booking I was fully aware that if I canceled I would loose the money. The cost of the booking was $4321.29. I also want to mention the previous referenced emails are the last ones I have received from Airbnb.

On March 3, I was looking at my credit card statement on line and I saw a credit from Airbnb for $167.94 had been deposited to my account. I thought that was rather strange so I tried logging into my Airbnb account and it said it was invalid. I called the phone number on the credit card statement and an automated voice said to enter my phone number. It returned as being invalid. After punching through some menu options and a short wait I was allowed to speak to an Airbnb representative. I gave her my confirmation number and a short time later she said “oh oh”. I said that doesn't sound good. She put me on hold and came back a short time later. She said it looks like Airbnb canceled your account on this end because it looks like you had two accounts and you can't have that. I said what about the booking? She said it looks like you canceled your booking and that's your refund. I said I certainly did not cancel that booking. She said there is nothing else I can do for you and hung up on me.

I called again on Monday and spoke to another representative. I think his name was Chris. I gave him the confirmation number and explained the situation. He seemed more involved than the rep I had previously spoken to on Saturday. He too had the story of canceling my account and that I had canceled the booking. I assured him I had not canceled the booking. He asked to put me on hold and came back a few minutes later. He said he was seeing some strange things and stated that instead of keeping me on hold he would get back to me shortly. I thought that might mean a few hours or the next day but I have not heard back from him.

When this issue arose on Mar 3 I tried to log into my account and it was invalid. I don't know when my account was deactivated nor do I know the alleged date that they claim I canceled the booking. My first call on Mar 3 (855-424-7262) was placed at 9:53 AM and lasted 13 min 54 sec. My call on Mar 5 (415-800-5959) was placed at 10:38 AM and lasted 26 min 50 sec. If you like I can forward PDF copies of the emails I received from Airbnb.

I would hope that Airbnb would reestablish my booking and my Airbnb account. If that can't be done then I would expect a full refund.

What's the value of your claim (in US $)? 4153

Date of transaction/travel date: 2018-02-16

reservation number: XXXXXXX

NOTE- modified by Moderator to remove reservation number.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 10, 2018
I did not have another account. I don't think that is possible. Once you have set up an account, and tried to set up another account with all the exact same information it would tell you the email address is already in use. Also I did not receive a second email verification as I did when I first signed up.

Sep 19, 2015
I did not have another account. I don't think that is possible. Once you have set up an account, and tried to set up another account with all the exact same information it would tell you the email address is already in use. Also I did not receive a second email verification as I did when I first signed up.
Is there a chance that you signed up years ago with a different email? Has your email ever been hacked? Have you looked into your past sign in history on your email to see if there is anything unusual?

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
Is it still possible for you to contact the host of the property that you booked to see if you can get any information from him as to when/how the booking was cancelled?

Mar 10, 2018
A couple updates.
This is the first time I have had an Airbnb account. I don't think my email has been hacked because I've not seen any suspicious activity but I guess anything is possible. Nothing amiss with my sign in history. I sent an email to the host after mmb's post but have not had a response yet. If I don't get a response from the host by tomorrow I will submit my issue to Airbnb executive per Neil's instructions.

Mar 10, 2018
Hi all,

I believe my issue has been resolved. I wanted to give you an update to complete the paper trail. I sent an email a few days ago to one of the Directors at Airbnb per the direction of Neil. I also called my credit card company and they said I had up to two billing periods to request a charge back. They also said I should wait because a charge back would effectively cancel my reservation. Below are the two responses I got from Airbnb and my question to him. All I can say is it looks somehow they messed up internally. Thanks again for all your support. I replaced some personal information below with xx's.

Manish P, Mar 13, 22:58 PDT:
Dear Bruce,
Greetings from Airbnb.
My name is Manish with Customer Experience Team at Airbnb, I will be happy to assist you today
I truly hope that this message finds you well.
Thank you so much for keeping in touch in regards to your reservation HxxxxxT, with Seijiro. I am also truly sorry to learn that your experience with this booking has not been reflective of a typical experience in our community and I'd like to take to opportunity extend my most sincere apologies regarding the handling of this particular reservation. I can attest that this mishandling was a rare mishap and I do sincerely apologize for the posited inconveniences.
That being said, please know that Airbnb has proceeded to reinstate and revive your reservation HxxxxxxxxT. As you had been previously refunded upon the reservation's cancellation for the amount of $167.94 USD, per the host's implemented cancellation policy, please know that this amount will be charged to your VISA ending in ****xxxx, so that the total paid for this booking is still $4,489.23 USD.
You may review your receipt and itinerary by logging into your account (ehlersgrub@msn.com) and click Your Trips. As this is a current trip, simply scroll to the reservation and click View Receipt to see your payment information. {Here is a direct link to your billing receipt: www.airbnb.com/reservation/receipt?code xxxxxxxxxx
I'd like to thank you for bringing this to our attention and I kindly thank you for your considerable patience throughout this experience, Bruce.
Moving forward, we wish for only great hosting experiences to come. As always, please do not hesitate to let us know if you have any questions or concerns, and we will be happy to do whatever we can to assist you.
Warmest Regards,
Manish

Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2018 8:41 AM
To: response@airbnb.com
Subject: Re: Airbnb: Your Reservation with Seijiro I

Dear Manish,

Thank you so much for your response and also for resolving this issue. Yes I can log into my account and I see my booking is as it was originally. The cost also is as it was for $4321.29. You state below that the cost is still $4489.23. I think you made a typo and added $167.94 to the original cost of $4321.29.

Can you possibly tell me what went wrong? I'm just concerned that it somehow may happen again. In any case thanks again for resolving this issue.

Sincerely,

Bruce Ehlers

Manish P, Mar 15, 01:24 PDT:
Hello Bruce,
Thank you so much for showing the faith in us and patients about this, sorry yes the amount will be $4321.29.
At the time this reservation was cancelled earlier, the system processed back a small refund of $ 167.94 back to your card ending with ***xxxx, hence since the booking revived, you might see a settlement of the refund and an additional charge for the same amount which is $167.94 as we processed this a refund, it normal please do not worry about this.
About why this had happened, is because our system keeps monitoring each account to check if there is any fraudulent activity or if someone is trying to hack into your account with your details by making a duplicate account, it automatically cancels or delete any suspicious activity to ensure your account details or any other details are protected, we take privacy and protection of the users as our first priority, since you had duplicate account, this might have triggered this activity
Kindly ensure that you have only one account on Airbnb, which will ensure that moving forward there are no issues.
I hope everything is sorted and fine now, and sincere apologies again for this, please let me know if you need any further assistance or information on the same, I will be here to help.
Regards,
Manish

Mar 10, 2018
If there was a duplicate account their system must have generated it. And then I must have lost my booking when they deleted either one or both. Manish is not real clear on that. Anyway, it looks like I'm good to go again. Hope it doesn't happen again.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
If there was a duplicate account their system must have generated it. And then I must have lost my booking when they deleted either one or both. Manish is not real clear on that. Anyway, it looks like I'm good to go again. Hope it doesn't happen again.
Keep a real close eye on your reservation AND your bank account! Safe Travels :)

Sep 3, 2017
Great to see this was resolved via your direct email communication with AirBnB despite your two earlier experiences with attempting to resolve this by phone. Interesting how this confirms Chris Elliott's recommendation to use email, rather than phone or snail mail communication (shared on on forums).

I've use AirBnB repeatedly and had only good experiences, here in Vermont, in New York, in Massachusetts and elsewhere. I'm glad to learn that there are real human beings on the other end should I find myself in the need of seeking resolution of a problem in the future.