Airberlin lost my luggage 2 weeks ago and has not contacted me once

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 2, 2017
I am writing to request help for my lost luggage on airberlin flight AB74B0 arriving from
Dusseldorf and Barcelona A88943 to JFK airport on June 24th,2017. I have contacted
both airbelrin and for BaggageExpress Airberlin. Unfortunately, I did not have me
baggage claim stub when I filled out the “property irregularity Report (PlR)” with the
airberlin baggage agent at JFK. The agent filled in the report and we have a copy, but it
does not include the necessary baggage “file number” because he only wrote the
airport, “JFK”, in the file number box. Without a file number, we cannot track the
bag. The phone number he gave rings to an answering machine, which is always full.
The alternate number is never answered. lt is now over the 5 days that Airberlin
states they will oversee the search, and now BagqaqeExpress is supposed to find me
bag.
The same issue applies here, since I don’t have a complete file number, I cannot get
any information from them. I have sent them an email and faxes and I have received no response.
One of my concerns is that I don’t know if anyone is looking for the bag? My other
concern is that I cannot speak to anyone regarding this matter. Airberlin provides a number
that is answered to buy a ticket but absolutely NO customer service after that.

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
Please check out our company contacts for airberlin. I've listed the link below.

http://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/air-berlin/

I would start with either the email contacts or customer service resources first. Wait a week to ten days. If no response, or not the desired response, move to the primary executive contact. In your correspondence, try to use bullet points to make it easy for the reader to understand your problem quickly and be able to route it to the department it needs to get to. Remember that the contact didn't cause your problem but may be capable of fixing it. Honey, vinegar!

Good luck and let us know how you progress.

May 29, 2017
I have a similar problem with AirBerlin not getting my luggage from TXL to JFK. It may be a consistent "error" that the file number is not assigned: my box also only states JFK, making it impossible to track the suitcases. Since this was my first time needing a PIR form I did not know until the next day at home that a longer number is needed in that box.

Did your bags eventually arrive?

Jul 2, 2017
I have stilled not received my bags or any specific answers. I have contacted airline through many of the avenues and I continue to do so. I did receive a email, asking me to
"Please refrain from asking for an update on the status of your request."??????????

May 29, 2017
After 5 days the "search" for missing AirBerlin bags gets turned over to a different company. Mine are missing for 4 days now. I'm not too upset since my Chase card has great coverage and reimburses me $100 per day for 3 days for "emergency needs". For 3 people with individual claims it adds up nicely. You may want to check to coverage benefits for delayed (and missing) baggage with the card you used to pay for the tickets too.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I have stilled not received my bags or any specific answers. I have contacted airline through many of the avenues and I continue to do so. I did receive a email, asking me to
"Please refrain from asking for an update on the status of your request."??????????
I think it's important to point out that 'no-frills' airlines can charge lower prices because they are 'no-frills'. This concept runs far deeper than having to pay for a bag of peanuts. You will never get the kind of service you expect because they literally don't have the personnel or resources to help you in a timely manner. That's how they keep their fares low. The choice is always up to the traveller.

Jul 2, 2017
There was no alert or notice that this was a no frill airlines or flight. In fact we had movies, tv shows and meals that proove it was not so. I booked a flight on a well known airline. I also believe that low cost means you pay for luggage and meals and bigger seats but I thought customer service was always included. I find it mind boggling that it is not. I know from now on I will research the customer service as well as the price before I purchase. May I add I have flown over seas for 55 years and I have never found this abhorrent level of customer care.

Jul 2, 2017
4 1/2 weeks they finally arrived. The best thing I did was follow "Elliott's" advice. I emailed the upper echelon of Airberlin. It worked! They called me and said I would the bag next day and a few days later I got the bag. Thanks, Elliott et al.

Last edited:

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
4 1/2 weeks they finally arrived. The best thing I did was follow "Elliott's" advice. I emailed the upper echelon of Airb It worked! They called me and said I would the bag next day and a few days later I got the bag. Thanks, Elliott et al.
Oh, I thought those bags were goners. Well done! This is GREAT news!

I agree with you, it truly is astonishing that airlines just continue to cut service and passengers keep buying tix. I see no end in sight. There no such thing as a "well-known" airline equaling a "good" airline when it comes to passenger comfort and service. About the only travellers who look forward to flying these days are the ones with TSA PreChek, Global Entry, top tier in the airline's loyalty program, and who buy premium economy or business class tix. People continue to believe what they see and read on the internet, completely ignoring the fact that anyone can put up anything with impunity.

I always use Trip Advisor to check out hotels. I'm looking at a "luxury" hotel in London right now that has been booked by the cruise line before departure. TA reviewers say it's barely a 2.5* hotel. But the hotel's website continues to pitch what is obviously a fantasy. I have no problem with a 2.5* hotel, but I don't want to check into one thinking that it's going to be a luxury experience. I've heard of a similar service for airlines but don't know any details, since I'm locked into United and Virgin-Atlantic.

May 29, 2017
My last suitcase also arrived after 4 1/2 weeks. Two arrived after 3 weeks, out of the blue. The last one had been sent to the wrong person and finally found it's way to me.
I am happy yours arrived too!