Air India Flight Delayed by 15 hours and received damage Baggage

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 24, 2018
Hello Sir,
I read your article in the Chicago Tribune regularly and never thought that I need to email you for help as I never had an issue with the airline before.

Here is the brief detail of the problems we faced with Air India, traveled on 9/22/2018, from Ahmedabad to Chicago via New Delhi.
First, our flight from New Delhi to Chicago was late by 15 hours. Instead of departing at 2:30 am on 9/23/28, it was departed at 5:30 pm on 9/23/18. When we arrived in Chicago, I notice, a couple of my baggage were damaged. I filled the damage report at the airport with AI personal. They give me a copy of the claim and asked me some pictures and other documents need to send them via email, which I did. They asked me to take the luggage to "nearby repair shop" top get written estimate which I cannot get as no shop like that nearby me, and may probably no one will give me written estimate. So I reply back them with the explanation, why I am not sending that. I email them few times to find out the status of the claim, but I never get a reply from them about the status of the claim. Initially, I received a couple of reply from them but then suddenly no response at all. Here find more detail in the email chain below on this issue. I just need them to let me know, are they going to approve or not approve my claim? They need to atlist reply me the email without ignoring it.

Also, I emailed (twice) the Air India higher authority (I find the contact email from your website) to express our disappointment on the service we received at New Delhi during flight late and how they can help us and can offer me any compensation if they can, but again, it is about a month but no reply. I can forward that email to you too if you need it.

So we need your help to find out the status of our claim, did it will process or approve. Also how AI can compensate us for the trouble we had due to 15 hours flight delay.

Thank you,
Jay P

Jul 13, 2016
You don't have a claim because you have not provided Air India with a dollar (or rupee) amount of that claim. Air India has no idea how much money you are asking for. You need to get that estimate--are the bags repairable? If not, then you may request replacement cost for the bags--this will probably be a depreciated amount, not how much you paid for the bags originally.

I used to work for a luggage company and we often supplied repair quotes. If the damage is minor--like a zipper--try a shoe repair shop. Are you currently in Chicago? If so, then you will easily be able to get a repair quote.

Oct 24, 2018
Hello, thanks for the reply.
I fill the form "damage report " at the airport in which I provided the purchase cost and how old the bags are. Also, one bag is torn off the canvas or cloth and another one has broken wheels. I am living in a Chicago suburb. At the airport, the agent shows the actual damage to the bags. I also provided the pictures of the bags per their request. I understand, my claim is approving or not depending on their rule but they atlist need to reply to my email with the status when I requested them. I didn't receive one from the baggage claim department as well as from the other authority regarding my experience at New Delhi.
Thanks

Sep 19, 2015
Did the airline say why the flight was delayed?

It looks as if there is compensation delay mandated for a long delay in the amount of 4000 rupees. (approx. $54)

http://dgca.nic.in/misc/draft cars/D3M-M3.pdf

No luggage repair shop will give in a written estimate? Even a handwritten one? I think an estimate is needed to decide is the cost of repair exceeds the value of the bag.

Oct 24, 2018
Did the airline say why the flight was delayed?

It looks as if there is compensation delay mandated for a long delay in the amount of 4000 rupees. (approx. $54)

http://dgca.nic.in/misc/draft cars/D3M-M3.pdf

No luggage repair shop will give in a written estimate? Even a handwritten one? I think an estimate is needed to decide is the cost of repair exceeds the value of the bag.

Hi Christina,
The airline didn't say anything till almost schedule departure time. And initially, no one at the gate counter at all. And closed to schedule departure time, when couple of employee came, they said, "they are not working for Air India" even they had Air India name tags. And when passengers really want to know what going on, then 2-3 more associates came, and for more than hour (passed the scheduled departure time), they were just telling, plane is coming... and after some time they change to "Technical issue" nothing more than that.

For repair shop written estimate, it was my guess that they may not give something like this, as I never had that kind of experience before. And as I said before, where I live (Chicago suburb) I didn't see any luggage repair shop, so no idea what to do.

Thanks,

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Google
Hi Christina,
The airline didn't say anything till almost schedule departure time. And initially, no one at the gate counter at all. And closed to schedule departure time, when couple of employee came, they said, "they are not working for Air India" even they had Air India name tags. And when passengers really want to know what going on, then 2-3 more associates came, and for more than hour (passed the scheduled departure time), they were just telling, plane is coming... and after some time they change to "Technical issue" nothing more than that.

For repair shop written estimate, it was my guess that they may not give something like this, as I never had that kind of experience before. And as I said before, where I live (Chicago suburb) I didn't see any luggage repair shop, so no idea what to do.

Thanks,
Google "luggage repair Chicago". You will find many entries.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Google

Google "luggage repair Chicago". You will find many entries.
Yes, do a search and map it out so you find the closest repair shop. These guys can work miracles. There should be no problem giving you a written estimate. It's possible they'll want a small fee for their time, however. Please let us know what happens.

Oct 24, 2018
Hello,
First thank you all for your valuable advise and tips. Here is the update. Base on the other details and circumstances, the airline approved the claim base on the purchase cost declared in claim form. Just received an email from airline. I didn't get chance to find the repair shop nearby as advise by jsn55 and weihlac. I am still waiting for the reply back from the higher authority for our experience at New Delhi.

Oct 24, 2018
So they paid you for the damaged luggage and you are just looking for some compensation for your experience? If so- glad you are halfway through this.

Let us know the outcome and don’t forget about how to escalate it if you don’t hear from someone within a week.
I will let you know any update I will have.
Just confused, what this mean "don’t forget about how to escalate ..."

Oct 24, 2018
Hello,
First thank you all for your valuable advise and tips. Here is the update. Base on the other details and circumstances, the airline approved the claim base on the purchase cost declared in claim form. Just received an email from airline. I didn't get chance to find the repair shop nearby as advise by jsn55 and weihlac. I am still waiting for the reply back from the higher authority for our experience at New Delhi.

Forget to mentioned... approved claim for 50% of the purchase cost declared in claim form

Oct 24, 2018
Have you gone through the lower Executives already? CEO is the last one to contact.
Yes, I emailed two contacts I find here on this website for Air India(primary and secondary). From secondary contact, the email was came back "undelivered". And never received reply from primary one.