Air fresheners in hotels!

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 3, 2017
It seems that the hotel industry is going "deodorizer" crazy in the lobbies and hotel rooms. The lobbies have air fresheners being pumped into room by automatic fans placed behind furniture etc. The rooms are being sprayed with a deodorizer after they are "serviced". I am highly allergic to all of these air fresheners. I can deal with the potential short stay in the lobby but I cannot deal with the smell in the rooms. Does anyone else have this kind of issue? I've asked the front desk etc to help but they never seem to know how to help. Any suggestions? I travel frequently and this issue seems to be more and more prevalent now than it used too.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
It seems that the hotel industry is going "deodorizer" crazy in the lobbies and hotel rooms. The lobbies have air fresheners being pumped into room by automatic fans placed behind furniture etc. The rooms are being sprayed with a deodorizer after they are "serviced". I am highly allergic to all of these air fresheners. I can deal with the potential short stay in the lobby but I cannot deal with the smell in the rooms. Does anyone else have this kind of issue? I've asked the front desk etc to help but they never seem to know how to help. Any suggestions? I travel frequently and this issue seems to be more and more prevalent now than it used too.
I've been waiting for this issue to come up for discussion. I remember reading about the idea more than a year ago ... and lately I've noticed "nice clean smells" in many hotels. It's faint and quite pleasant ... but nothing like this belongs in a hotel room. I can't imagine what they're thinking! There have to be many, many people whose systems react to artificial fragrances and the chemicals that go into air fresheners.

Probably the only thing that can be done is making a fuss so hotel management understand what they're foisting on their guests. Calling the hotel a few days before arrival to request no artificial sprays in your room is a great theory ... but we frequent travellers know that this would be hit or miss.

The only thing that will probably work is a letter writing campaign to top management. The practice needs to stop in all hotel rooms.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
Oh, I doubt this will stop. If they can convince you that the room is clean by adding a scent, they will certainly continue to do that. Who doesn't love clean?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Oh, I doubt this will stop. If they can convince you that the room is clean by adding a scent, they will certainly continue to do that. Who doesn't love clean?
Folks with allergies, lol

It actually isn't lol when you do have allergies. I think you can't simply book a hotel when you have allergies- you need to call the hotel, askand GET THE NAME OF THE EMPLOYEE who tells you they don't use fragrance and write it down along with the date and time you called

Mar 17, 2015
As I sit here working from home instead of at the office, I can attest that air quality is a huge issue. I always call the hotel now before going. If they have a hypoallergenic room, I pay extra. I also bring peppermint oil when traveling so that I can diffuse all the scents people think they need to bathe in. Also, any strong chemical smells can set those of us with asthma off, including Clorox, etc. So I really HATE the SMELL of clean. I like things clean, without scents.

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
There are at least 2 hotel chains (I don't know which ones) that offer hypoallergenic rooms. You could probably find them if you google.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
My guess is Marriott is one....just stayed in a PURE room at the Marriott Houston Med Center.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
My guess is Marriott is one....just stayed in a PURE room at the Marriott Houston Med Center.
I'm glad to know that there are rooms available for people really bothered by artificial scents. Maybe I could let the Holiday Inn at the Houston airport know ... I checked in late last night and my room LITERALLY smelled like a swamp. So strong it was almost comical. The temp was set at 61 degrees with the fan on high ... nice try guys. Can't even imagine what it must have smelled like last week. I was too tired to do anything about it except order dinner and a bottle of wine so I had no issues going to sleep!

I realize that there has been a huge natural disaster(s) here, but that room should not have been rented to anyone, especially someone at the highest level of their loyalty program. The minute I opened my mouth at checkout this morning, the agent said she would comp my dinner and lunch. I repeat my mantra ... hotels are run by airline-management rejects, no question.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
I'm glad to know that there are rooms available for people really bothered by artificial scents. Maybe I could let the Holiday Inn at the Houston airport know ... I checked in late last night and my room LITERALLY smelled like a swamp. So strong it was almost comical. The temp was set at 61 degrees with the fan on high ... nice try guys. Can't even imagine what it must have smelled like last week. I was too tired to do anything about it except order dinner and a bottle of wine so I had no issues going to sleep!

I realize that there has been a huge natural disaster(s) here, but that room should not have been rented to anyone, especially someone at the highest level of their loyalty program. The minute I opened my mouth at checkout this morning, the agent said she would comp my dinner and lunch. I repeat my mantra ... hotels are run by airline-management rejects, no question.
Yeah, some interesting smells around Houston with no rhyme or reason. My guess is it relates to the closest sewer drain. Such nice people there....and resilient. Seems most bounced right back into the swing of things.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
My wife has a friend that cannot be near feather pillows. She has a hard time every time she stays in a hotel, even if she asks in advance for foam. She actually threatened to go to Walmart with one hotel if they couldn't get her foam pillows. My wife came back from a conference with her shocked that a major hotel didn't have any foam pillows.

Jan 25, 2016
As I sit here working from home instead of at the office, I can attest that air quality is a huge issue. I always call the hotel now before going. If they have a hypoallergenic room, I pay extra. I also bring peppermint oil when traveling so that I can diffuse all the scents people think they need to bathe in. Also, any strong chemical smells can set those of us with asthma off, including Clorox, etc. So I really HATE the SMELL of clean. I like things clean, without scents.
I hear you on that one ... most scents will cause an asthma attack and, more often than not, cause breathing issues for hours after the attack (guess I need to buy a supply of overpriced epipens). Let's not even discuss the fact that these "scents" are generally petroleum-based and are hugely carcinogenic!

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
Maybe if the rooms were actually clean???
Exactly, BUT this is just such a quick, inexpensive way for them to feign cleanliness, why would they not do this ? I'm sure they are just thinking it's another layer of cleanliness, but most of us would rather pass on the scents and have the room clean.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Exactly, BUT this is just such a quick, inexpensive way for them to feign cleanliness, why would they not do this ? I'm sure they are just thinking it's another layer of cleanliness, but most of us would rather pass on the scents and have the room clean.
I agree ... every time I read a story about how long a housekeeper is given to clean a room occupied or checkout, it makes my blood run cold. If you really start to think about a hotel room, you'd never travel. So ... ha, ha! ... I just don't think about it and haven't experienced any allergy issues. I thought for sure that swamp-room in Houston would mess up my respiratory system, but nothing so far.

Sep 19, 2015
Ugh -- there were a lot of articles on "hotel scent branding" in 2016 and I hoped this was a passing fad. There are some scents I loathe.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Ugh -- there were a lot of articles on "hotel scent branding" in 2016 and I hoped this was a passing fad. There are some scents I loathe.
All I've ever noticed are "clean, fresh scents", no heavy vanilla or patchouli or Gucci mosquito repellent.

$10 to the first person who remembers what patchouli is!