Air France Strike

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 14, 2018
We have tickets to Europe April 24 and have been told due to strike conditions our flight may be cancelled. The 24th is a strike day. What are our rights? We are flying to meet up
with an already paid for tour. We do have insurance.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Your rights are to try and find another airline to fly if your flights are canceled. This is why we always try to book US airlines when traveling. Outside the US, these airlines can call strike and slow downs whenever they want.

They have information on their website about what your options are. If you were flying a code share on another airline, you wouldn't be affected.

https://www.airfrance.us/US/en/common/page_flottante/hp/news-air-traffic-air-france.htm

Sep 19, 2015
A strike is an extraordinary circumstance under EU 261. Have you spoken to Air France about being placed on another flight (ie the 22d or 25th) or maybe on a partner like KLM or Delta?

They have the duty to care requirement but no monetary compensation.

Please note that the rails will likely be on strike the same time, so take this into consideration with your travel,

I would start working on this now if you want to join the tour.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The rails don't appear to be on strike - this is strictly an Air France slowdown. And a strike is considered an extraordinary circumstance. Here is information on EU 261 and this event so no compensation due

https://www.airfrance.us/US/en/common/guidevoyageur/assistance/assistance-et-indemnisation.htm

In addition, these are the options they are offering - if she cancels - she'll only get a travel voucher (which is extremely unfair I believe)

If you have a valid Air France ticket, issued on or before 05 April, for a flight operated by Air France or Joon on 17, 18, 23 or 24 April, you can postpone your trip between 15 and 30 April 2018.

* We recommend you to avoid a rebook on another day impacted by the strike.

Save time by changing your booking directly online, in the "Your reservations" section of the website or in the mobile app. You can change your booking at no extra cost for the same travel cabin.

A voucher valid for one year on Air France, Joon, KLM or HOP flights! will be given to you if you prefer to postpone your trip beyond 30 April 2018, change destination or departure city, or cancel your trip. This voucher is not refundable.

If it were me - I'd try to get them to change me to the day before or the day after.

Sep 19, 2015
Travelers should be warned that this will be the spring and perhaps summer of discontent --

Attached is a calendar with the announced days for the train to strike (SCNF) --- some regional trains may also be hit, such as the RER B to the CDG airport. Blue days are days that travelers will be ... well blue.

Attachments

Sep 19, 2015
Macron wants to reform parts of the benefits for the train workers and Air France is contract renewal arguments..... the two are unrelated but are sympathetic to each other's cause

Sep 19, 2015
Air France is offering refunds if the flight is delayed more than 5 hours or outright canceled -- the information is hard to find, but it is there -- under useful information and refunds --

If your flight is cancelled or delayed by more than 5 hours and you decide not to travel, you can obtain a refund for your ticket by contacting a point of sale directly.

If you bought your ticket on our website, please click on the "Refunds" section at the bottom of this page.

https://www.airfrance.us/US/en/common/page_flottante/hp/news-air-traffic-air-france.htm

Jul 27, 2016
We don't realize how good we have it in this country where it's illegal for airlines and railroads to go on strike.
Airlines absolutely can go on strike in the US. The president has the power to order them back to work for 60 days while mediation takes place (Clinton did this in the late 90s with the AA pilots).
but after that, they can strike.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Airlines absolutely can go on strike in the US. The president has the power to order them back to work for 60 days while mediation takes place (Clinton did this in the late 90s with the AA pilots).
but after that, they can strike.
You are correct- federal laws make it very difficult but not impossible to strike. Mediation has to take place but Congress can force a settlement or additional mediation.

In Europe- anything goes.

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Where do you need to meet your tour? Maybe you could book a different airline and fly into Brussels, and then take a train?

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I would make other plans right now, as my colleagues suggest. I'm in Germany and we've heard that Lufthansa & KLM are going out as well. It would be awful to mess up your tour and you just can't count on everything coming back to normal overnight when the strike is over.

Jul 27, 2016
You are correct- federal laws make it very difficult but not impossible to strike. Mediation has to take place but Congress can force a settlement or additional mediation.

In Europe- anything goes.
Yup, the US laws give the President power to effectively block (assuming they choose to do so) the "one day a week" sort of strikes that we're seeing here.

Feb 24, 2018
Your rights are to try and find another airline to fly if your flights are canceled. This is why we always try to book US airlines when traveling. Outside the US, these airlines can call strike and slow downs whenever they want.

They have information on their website about what your options are. If you were flying a code share on another airline, you wouldn't be affected.

Flying on a US airline into a strike-impacted region doesn't always help. If the airport is impacted in any way, that's going to have an impact on your flight. I was in Italy (Rome, I believe) when a baggage-handler strike hit. No baggage handlers, no baggage moving onto planes, no planes taking off, no matter where they're going or who runs the airline. The best thing to do is check the strike situation before you travel or be prepared to ride it out. In this case, I'd suggest the OP rebook for April 22.