Air China - Refund Fee Waived as Exception

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 10, 2017
Just wanted to make a quick post here in gratitude for this site's advice on contacting company contacts as suggested in the post http://forum.elliott.org/threads/refunds-for-non-refundable-tickets.3304/

Back story, booked flights on their "Canadian" website while traveling in Canada thinking the same 24-hour cancellation policy I'm familiar with applied, the site looked EXACTLY like the US website and has no verbage about the policy during the checkout process so you can't really tell if it's missing. Turns out only the US has such a law, I cancelled 3 flights and rebooked them, got hit with 3 cancellation fees.

Somewhere buried in their FAQ is a mention of the 24 hour cancellation policy, it exists on both the Canadian and US website, no surprise there, but it does specifically mention the "US" website. So the fault lies with me.

It took a lot of work but it did work, numerous calls to customer service about how I am from the US, paid with a US card and made a mistake, they were pretty strict and followed policy so there was no budging there.

Wrote a nice email to the first company contact, no use, however the next contact did in fact push my case to the customer service center and they finally waived the refund fee.

I think the polite guidelines in the mentioned forum post were really helpful, I told them I made a mistake and asked them to reconsider and make an exception, finally they did, thanks again guys.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Good job advocating for yourself! We LOVE to hear success stories....thank you for taking the time to let us know. And a good tip for all of us purchasing tickets outside the US.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Fabulous, Clarence, good work! Very happy that our advice helped. You've pointed up something that has slowly been dawning on me: so many complaint and request for refund letters are so rude, arrogant, entitled, you name it. We see so many horrific examples on this forum.

I think our advice to 'be sweet' really makes a request stand out. I've always maintained that anyone working in the hospitality field got into it originally because they LIKE PEOPLE. After a few years, the carapace gets thicker, but basically they are who they are.

Jan 10, 2017
I need to tell more of my Canadian friends to book through the US websites too if they have an easy way to pay in US dollars, hard to believe something we take for granted here is non-existent there, except for the major Canadian carriers.