Air Canada refunds for cancelled flights

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 15, 2020
Dealing with a Air Canada call center representative, and then following that conversation with five emails escalating through the Air Canada executives, only to be sent the same denial email from a “Roberta Stewart” in Air Canada Customer Relations. She must be tired of hearing the same story from me. But I want to voice my opinion that what they are doing is against US DOT guidelines concerning flight cancellations and refunds. Reading posts in this a Forum it seems that Air Canada has decided what their policy is, despite what regulations tell them to do. I do not want a flight credit, I want my money back. Just wondering why a consumer would even want to purchase a flight ticket with Air Canada if this is how the executive management team leads by example. I did file a complaint with the US DOT concerning this practice, and am waiting to hear from that agency. What about the Canadian version of the Air DOT? Anybody go to them with their complaint? I feel I’ve got some leverage as Air Canada did refund my seat assignment charges when our first flight was cancelled.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
AirCanada is openly flouting US DOT laws by not refunding canceled flights that take off or land in the US. Unless the DOT takes action there is not much more you can do other than file a credit card dispute and hope your cc finds in your favor.

Reactions: Pixie Pie
Jun 15, 2020
AirCanada is openly flouting US DOT laws by not refunding canceled flights that take off or land in the US. Unless the DOT takes action there is not much more you can do other than file a credit card dispute and hope your cc finds in your favor.
I just completed the dispute forms with my credit card. 30-60 day window to review the case. Thank you.

Jun 15, 2020
The U.S. Department of Transportation Office of the Secretary of Transportation responded to the complaint I lodged against Air Canada. I then recieved a follow up email from Air Canada Customer Relations with the same email response from them telling me they don’t care at this point, they have my money and have no plans to give it back. Very frustrating and aggravating that this airlines executives are making their own rules. Have you heard of any complaints against Air Canada being lodged with the Canadian Government Air Transportation Department.

Jun 15, 2020
Hi Neal. Here was the DOT response that I received. Thank you for the new thread of information concerning Air Canada! I will read through it!

This responds to your communication regarding Air Canada. The U.S. Department of Transportation seeks to ensure that all airline passengers are treated fairly. Complaints from consumers are helpful to us in determining whether the airlines are in compliance with our rules and to track trends or spot areas of concern that warrant further action.

I will forward your complaint to the airline and ask the company to respond directly to you with a copy to us. Airlines are required to provide a substantive response to the complainant within 60 days. I will review the airline's response. If you need to contact me, please include your name and case number (see above).

If my review of your complaint and the response from the company discloses a potential violation of our rules, our office may pursue enforcement action. Generally, our office pursues enforcement action on the basis of a number of complaints which may indicate a pattern or practice of violating our rules. Your complaint may be among those considered and may lead to appropriate enforcement action including the assessment of civil penalties. However, our office has no authority to order compensation for individual complainants.

I have entered your complaint in our computerized industry monitoring system, and it will be counted among the number of complaints filed against this airline in our monthly Air Travel Consumer Report. This report allows consumers and air travel companies to compare the complaint records of individual airlines and tour operators. The data in this report also serve as a basis for rulemaking, legislation and research. Consumer information for air travelers, including the Air Travel Consumer Report and our pamphlet Fly-Rights, a Consumer's Guide to Air Travel, can be found on our website: www.transportation.gov/airconsumer. Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
The U.S. Department of Transportation Office of the Secretary of Transportation responded to the complaint I lodged against Air Canada. I then recieved a follow up email from Air Canada Customer Relations with the same email response from them telling me they don’t care at this point, they have my money and have no plans to give it back. Very frustrating and aggravating that this airlines executives are making their own rules. Have you heard of any complaints against Air Canada being lodged with the Canadian Government Air Transportation Department.
The Canadain gov't is supporting AC.

• Sad
Reactions: sammyofrogers
Jun 15, 2020
Nine months later AirCanada has agreed to refund my flight cost. Reading between the lines of their email to me, based on my complaint filed with the USDOT they are refunding my payment. Did AirCanada get a letter of “concern” from our DOT based on the number of complaints lodged against it? Maybe outlining penalties against AirCanada if they do not comply with stated USDOT rules pertaining to airlines cancelling their flights and refunds to its passengers? I’m going to follow through with my initial contact at the DOT to find out any details. The AirCanada email is below.

Dear valued customer,

We understand that you have a refund complaint pending before the US Department of Transportation.

We are writing to inform you that, following a change in policy, Air Canada is now issuing refunds for all tickets with travel dates on or after February 1, 2020 and purchased before April 13, 2021 for flights cancelled either by Air Canada or by you for any reason.

If you purchased directly with Air Canada, go to aircanada.com/refund to get your refund started. Otherwise, please contact your travel agent.

If your flight was cancelled before April 13, 2021, please make sure to request your refund before June 12, 2021, in order for it to be processed to the original form of payment. After this date, you can request your remaining ticket value to be transferred to an Air Canada Travel Voucher or converted to Aeroplan points with a 65% bonus.

If you’ve already requested a refund since we announced our new policy on April 13, 2021, you don’t need to do anything else. We’re working to process your refund as fast as possible.

Please inform the Department of Transportation once you have received your refund, so that they may update your file accordingly, or close it if you have no other pending matter.

Thank you for your patience and understanding. We realize this situation has taken a while to resolve and are pleased to finally be in a position to move forward with this change.

Air Canada

Comicman

Jul 13, 2020
We are writing to inform you that, following a change in policy, Air Canada is now issuing refunds for all tickets with travel dates on or after February 1, 2020 and purchased before April 13, 2021 for flights cancelled either by Air Canada or by you for any reason.
I think it has a lot more to do with the conditions of the billion dollar plus bail out from the Canadian government.

Apr 28, 2021
I got the same cheery "Yes, we'd be happy to refund your money email last week!" I couldn't be happier. I bought four tickets to Japan directly through Air Canada in November, 2019 (for a bargain price of 2K+) for April, 2020. Air Canada cancelled the flight due to the pandemic. They consistently refused to refund my money. I sent a letter to the U.S. DOT, and followed the developments over the past year now and then. This organization was prompt, frank, and helpful in my quest. TBH, I was just about ready to take an $800 hit ($200 per ticket) for a partial refund, because vouchers did not appeal to us.

So, finally!

Those who are following this issue: The email I received opened with that line about my complaint with the Department of Transportation, and I'm guessing that that is what prompted their email to me. But if you have a similar problem with Air Canada and did NOT complain to the DOT, it is possible they did not contact you. I don't know. In any case, I'm pretty sure the refund is open to anyone whose flight was cancelled. Note the June deadline.

Reactions: jsn55

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I got the same cheery "Yes, we'd be happy to refund your money email last week!" I couldn't be happier. I bought four tickets to Japan directly through Air Canada in November, 2019 (for a bargain price of 2K+) for April, 2020. Air Canada cancelled the flight due to the pandemic. They consistently refused to refund my money. I sent a letter to the U.S. DOT, and followed the developments over the past year now and then. This organization was prompt, frank, and helpful in my quest. TBH, I was just about ready to take an $800 hit ($200 per ticket) for a partial refund, because vouchers did not appeal to us.

So, finally!

Those who are following this issue: The email I received opened with that line about my complaint with the Department of Transportation, and I'm guessing that that is what prompted their email to me. But if you have a similar problem with Air Canada and did NOT complain to the DOT, it is possible they did not contact you. I don't know. In any case, I'm pretty sure the refund is open to anyone whose flight was cancelled. Note the June deadline.
This has nothing to do with the DOT. The Canadian government just provided funding to the airline so they could refund.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii

So, finally!

Reactions: Comicman and VoR61
Apr 28, 2021
Yes, I understand that Air Canada is issuing refunds not due to a spontaneous outburst of generosity, but due to a government bailout.

I'm just wondering if the email sammyofrogers and I received went out to A) those who had complained to the USDOT B) those who had requested a refund via email or phone call and/or C) everyone whose flight had been cancelled...even though flight cancellation by Air Canada was not a necessary condition for refund eligibility. Are their records extensive enough to reach out to Group B? In any case, I hope everybody gets their money back!

Jun 24, 2019
I’m guessing that a fair number of the folks impacted by Air Canada’s prior refusal to refund tickets were Canadian, and some of those complained to their representatives in Ottawa.

Comicman

Jul 13, 2020
I'm just wondering if the email sammyofrogers and I received went out to A) those who had complained to the USDOT B) those who had requested a refund via email or phone call and/or C) everyone whose flight had been cancelled.
I have friends that did none of the above and were contacted about converting their voucher into a cash refund.
So doing nothing is also an option that will work.
Though I would simply contact them and request a refund conversion to get the ball rolling faster.

Last edited:
Reactions: VoR61

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco

So, finally!

May I commend you on purchasing your tix directly, Kozad. We need to preach this over and over so people stop jumping on the cheapest fare on the internet and think about how much fun it is to attempt to deal with a faceless internet entity. Actually, these booking services spend so much money on national advertising and slick websites that many of them do have faces, but the faces are fake.