Air Canada name change problem for my six year old/CheapOair

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Zoe's Mommy, there are always cancellation fees when you book a ticket and cancel. Again, you need to look at the policies when you book. I can't stress that enough. The airline may also charge a cancellation fee as well. Here is Cheapo Airs information on cancellations. Using Cheapo Air added their own cancellation fee and if they can get a credit for you from Air Canada - Air Canada usually charges a fee as well.

What are your cancellation fees?
All airline tickets are 100% non-refundable. In certain cases where the airline may allow cancellations, a credit may be valid towards a future ticket purchase by the same traveler with travel on the same airline. An applicable penalty and a fare difference (if any), will be added in these cases. A cancellation fee starting from $50 per person per ticket must be paid to us at the time of cancelling the booking; we retain this fee. The credit will be held for a limited time period, please ask the customer service agent for the specific date by when you must use this credit or you will lose the credit amount.

Jan 11, 2017
I was wondering. I do understand the travel credit rules, in case of non-refundable tickets. What is happening, if the name was misspelled/wrong? How can John Doe use a credti for Dohn Joe? (I am just curious.)

Jan 18, 2018
So for an update, I've now worked my way up the corporate chain as I have yet to get a response from anyone. SO frustrating! And to top it off, CheapOair has so far failed in getting a refund for the original ticket....so at this moment, correcting my 6 year old daughter's name has cost us well over $1200. Any outrage yet?

Jan 6, 2015
It has been only two weeks since your first post here. Reaching the top of the chain already seems very fast. You should allow at least a week for each to respond. How many have you contacted?

Also, if you are comfortable doing so, you could post your email here for comment ...

Jan 18, 2018
It has been only two weeks since your first post here. Reaching the top of the chain already seems very fast. You should allow at least a week for each to respond. How many have you contacted?

Also, if you are comfortable doing so, you could post your email here for comment ...
So my first email was two weeks ago, then one week ago I email the next person, then today I tried the third and their email didn't work, so I went to the next in line which was the CEO. So, yes, he has a week to respond still according to this formula. I'm not sure why you want my email; isn't this a good enough forum?

Jan 6, 2015
Sometimes it helps to see the email. There could be content that, if changed, might improve your chances for a better response (or in this case a response). Some guests are comfortable with this and welcome a "second pair of eyes". But it's totally up to you (and if you choose to, please remove any personal information).

This is a common suggestion (Note: not a request) in the forum ...

Jan 18, 2018
Sometimes it helps to see the email. There could be content that, if changed, might improve your chances for a better response (or in this case a response). Some guests are comfortable with this and welcome a "second pair of eyes". But it's totally up to you (and if you choose to, please remove any personal information).

This is a common suggestion (Note: not a request) in the forum ...
I thought you meant my email address! I see where you are going now:) Since the email has already been sent, I'm not sure it will help, but I can post the text of the email sent in a moment.

Jan 18, 2018
Here is the original text of my email:

Dear Ms. Andrews,

I am hopeful that you can help me with the following problem I am having. On Nov 30, 2017 I booked three tickets (booking #46738478) to go from Miami to Geneva Switzerland in March on your site. The tickets were for myself, my husband, and our adorable 6 year old daughter, Zoe. Somehow the computer must have auto populated my daughter’s last name as mine instead of my husband’s, and as I was sick and running on fumes, I somehow didn’t notice. Likewise for the confirmation email that was sent immediately after. It was yesterday, when my husband pulled out credit card statement to look for an unrelated charge, we noticed that the ticket had Zoe listed as Zoe Zell instead of her correct name, Zoe Klein. Of course I panicked and called your service and after spending a good part of my afternoon and evening talking to your representatives and supervisors, we were unable to come to any resolution except rebooking the ticket at a much higher rate and attempting to cancel the original ticket. As this didn’t seem like a very fair option to me, I then asked to speak to a higher level supervisor and was assured that one would get back to me within 4 hours. I eagerly awaited a call, but one never came. So I hopped on the website this am, thought I found the same flights at a similar fare to what I originally paid, and eagerly called your service again expecting to pay for a new ticket at a similar price to what I paid, and then proceed hopefully with a crediting of the original ticket. I then waited on hold for over 30 mins and when I finally spoke with someone again, they were unable to provide the ticket at the same price that I saw (at that point one hour previous). It is possible that there was a one hour difference in the layover, of this I am unsure at this moment as the site timed out on me as I was waiting for your representative. But in any event, our of sheer frustration I wound up purchasing a new ticket for about $170 more than the original and am hoping that your people are able to secure a refund for the original flight. I am so frustrated by all of this and am truly feeling that it is an undue burden to have to pay at a minimum $170 more (if not that plus the price of the original ticket if a refund is denied) for such a small mistake. I truly hope that you are able to credit me the difference of what I originally paid for her ticket and what I had to pay this morning to get her a new ticket, and that you also make sure that the refund for the original ticket is secured. I would be fine with an appropriate fee being assessed for having to make a name change, but it seems to me that that fee should be somewhere in the $25 range, and not $170. I hope you agree and will work with me to make this right. I truly appreciate your time and look forward to your response.

Jan 18, 2018
Then my next email to her superior:

Dear Ms. Jones,

Below please find the text of the email that I sent to Ms. Andrews one week ago to which I received no response. After reading that text, please find the additional note to explain the further development that happen yesterday. Thank you.

Dear Ms. Andrews,

I am hopeful that you can help me with the following problem I am having. On Nov 30, 2017 I booked three tickets (booking #xxxxxxxx) to go from Miami to Geneva Switzerland in March on your site. The tickets were for myself, my husband, and our adorable 6 year old daughter, Zoe. Somehow the computer must have auto populated my daughter’s last name as mine instead of my husband’s, and as I was sick and running on fumes, I somehow didn’t notice. Likewise for the confirmation email that was sent immediately after. It was yesterday, when my husband pulled out credit card statement to look for an unrelated charge, we noticed that the ticket had Zoe listed as Zoe xxxx instead of her correct name, Zoe xxxxx. Of course I panicked and called your service and after spending a good part of my afternoon and evening talking to your representatives and supervisors, we were unable to come to any resolution except rebooking the ticket at a much higher rate and attempting to cancel the original ticket. As this didn’t seem like a very fair option to me, I then asked to speak to a higher level supervisor and was assured that one would get back to me within 4 hours. I eagerly awaited a call, but one never came. So I hopped on the website this am, thought I found the same flights at a similar fare to what I originally paid, and eagerly called your service again expecting to pay for a new ticket at a similar price to what I paid, and then proceed hopefully with a crediting of the original ticket. I then waited on hold for over 30 mins and when I finally spoke with someone again, they were unable to provide the ticket at the same price that I saw (at that point one hour previous). It is possible that there was a one hour difference in the layover, of this I am unsure at this moment as the site timed out on me as I was waiting for your representative. But in any event, our of sheer frustration I wound up purchasing a new ticket for about $170 more than the original and am hoping that your people are able to secure a refund for the original flight. I am so frustrated by all of this and am truly feeling that it is an undue burden to have to pay at a minimum $170 more (if not that plus the price of the original ticket if a refund is denied) for such a small mistake. I truly hope that you are able to credit me the difference of what I originally paid for her ticket and what I had to pay this morning to get her a new ticket, and that you also make sure that the refund for the original ticket is secured. I would be fine with an appropriate fee being assessed for having to make a name change, but it seems to me that that fee should be somewhere in the $25 range, and not $170. I hope you agree and will work with me to make this right. I truly appreciate your time and look forward to your response.

Jehana xxxl
xxxxxx@aol.com
xxx-xxx-xxxx

Ms. Jones,

Yesterday I received a call from one of your agents informing me that in order to cancel the first ticket, I would need to pay an additional $100 to CheapOair. I want to be clear that since this whole process started, I was NEVER informed that there would be any type of fee associated with them trying to get a refund of the original ticket after buying another ticket for my daughter for the same exact trip at roughly $170 more than the original because of a simple error with her name. Your agent simply had convinced me that the only avenue to fix her name was to buy a new ticket at a much higher rate, and to cancel the first ticket which they could do for me as a curtesy because of this ridiculous error. So now, it seems, this situation has gotten even worse than it was one week ago. I implore you to fix this and rescind all of these additional fees and set us back to where we should be, which was paying about $1600 total for 3 tickets as purchased on November 30th for our upcoming trip to Switzerland. I have no idea what the refund situation is at this point as our call seems to have been cut off last night and I simply didn’t have it in me to wade through your system again with little hope of a fair resolution.

I eagerly await your response as to how we can fairly resolve this.

Respectfully yours,

Jehana xxxx
xxxxxx@aol.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 6, 2015
Very good. I don't see any issues with your content, but please remove your daughter's last name(s), your email address, and your phone number from the posts (for your privacy).

Best wishes for success ...

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2015
cali
I'm glad you rebooked your daughter's ticket. As someone who used cheapo air getting help or even information from them is next to impossible. (I was in the military trying to get home for my wedding on a codeshare flight with 5 different airlines and weather issues.- not fun)

As a few other members have said, asking cheapo air to do the right thing is like asking a small child to put back a piece of candy that they stole. It's the right thing to do but the child will not do it willingly.

My advice is to enjoy your trip and afterward find a way to take your story to social media. Public shaming is the only way to go.

Jan 18, 2018
So another update- the last email I sent got kicked back as well, so the last two customer service contacts for CheapOair that this website provides are not valid. So, I'm not sure what to do here. I am currently holding two tickets for the same child and am into this for way too much money for a very small error. Anyone have any ideas??? Will Mr. Elliott please weigh in? Thanks in advance for any and all constructive help!

John Galbraith

Staff Member
Director
Jan 22, 2017
Poole
I waited a week as advised. When Ms. Holmes' address failed, I sent one to Mr Jain the same day, however, it kicked back as well.
Hi.

Firstly sorry there were difficulties with the email address. Fareportal's email addresses vary depending upon which company they work for. Also even within Fareportal the email format varies.

I have researched some new contacts including the VP responsible for customer excellence, the COO and the other Co-CEO.

I hope this helps.

Jan 18, 2018
Hi.

Firstly sorry there were difficulties with the email address. Fareportal's email addresses vary depending upon which company they work for. Also even within Fareportal the email format varies.

I have researched some new contacts including the VP responsible for customer excellence, the COO and the other Co-CEO.

I hope this helps.
Thanks- does that mean you revised them on this website?