Air Canada Name Change Fee

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 15, 2019
My question was, is it customary for travel agencies to assess a charge of $400 to correct the misspelling of a name; when the error was identified 3 days after the initial reservation and, a full 6 months before scheduled departure? Further, is there anyway to get this charge rescinded.

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
My question was, is it customary for travel agencies to assess a charge of $400 to correct the misspelling of a name; when the error was identified 3 days after the initial reservation and, a full 6 months before scheduled departure? Further, is there anyway to get this charge rescinded.
Have you done it yet through the travel agent and if not, did you try calling Air Canada and asking them to change it?

Jul 13, 2016
The fee might be coming from the travel agency, or it may be coming from Air Canada. Who misspelled the name? The person making the booking with the agency? The Agency? Is the agency a real brick and mortar place or an online booking company like Expedia?
And yes, it is customary for airlines to assess a penalty. The conditions of sale say no name changes. But the airlines have to have no name changes or unscrupulous people using "bots" will buy up all the seats at favorable pricing, then sell those tickets to the real travelers at huge mark ups.

Jan 15, 2019
Yes, the travel agent and I have tried everything. The error was mine. I spelled the name Macie when it should have been Maci. As others have stated that these types of charges are indeed customary, I guess I have to eat the extortionate $400 charge.

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
For such a change like this where it's clear you are not trying to abuse the system, you may have success if you use our contacts for Air Canada at https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/air-canada/ starting at the top, waiting a week and working your way down.

Just to confirm, this ticket was for you though, not someone else? That's what you seem to have said

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
For such a change like this where it's clear you are not trying to abuse the system, you may have success if you use our contacts for Air Canada at https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/air-canada/ starting at the top, waiting a week and working your way down.

Just to confirm, this ticket was for you though, not someone else? That's what you seem to have said
Barry
The OP has two posts on the same subject. The ticket was for another person.
https://forum.elliott.org/threads/charges-for-correction-to-spelling-of-name.9478/

Jan 15, 2019
Elaine, we don't allow two posts for the same issue. Please let us know which one to keep open as you are getting the same answer on both posts.
I’m sorry. The second post was in response to a request for more info. As i’ve received helpful info. Both can be closed. Thank You for the assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.