Air Canada flight Change/ impossible connection

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 3, 2019
I found a reasonable fare on Kayak, and booked a long weekend trip to France via Vayama. I love using Air Canada, and know this route well (CLE/YYZ/CDG). The problem is that Air Canada changed the flight from Cleveland, leaving a 38 minute connection in Toronto. Even in the best conditions, that is nearly impossible to do. And Air Canada will not even attempt to transfer checked baggage if the connection is less than one hour - they automatically re-book you the next day)

I contacted Vayama, and they mentioned a morning flight, which does not work for me, and I have to work until 3. I asked about other changes or cancellation, and this would result in a $500 fee.

I contacted Air Canada, and was told that they only operate the flights, and cannot help me with my ticket.

Last year on the same connection, the flight was late leaving me about 25 minutes. I quickly got off the plane (carryon bag only) and sprinted to the gate with 3 minutes to spare, only to find that the door was locked and the jet bridge pulled back 10 minutes prior (which they tell me they ALWAYS do). I waited at the AC customer service counter, and just barely got rerouted in time through Frankfurt, with a connecting flight to Lyon (my eventual destination by train from CDG).

I don’t want to just board the plane in CLE and get stranded in Canada when this is just a 3 day trip. I really just want to cancel this reservation. I wish Air Canada would help me NOW, or Vayama and AC could work together to resolve this. $500 in fees is unreasonable, since AC made this previously available route an impossibility.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I believe that’s an illegal connection and you will never make it.

You have to have Vayama change the flights since you booked through them. See if there are other flights on Air Canada that will work. Otherwise you are going to have to accept the changes they can make or ask for a refund and you’ll have to rebook elsewhere.

This is why booking direct is better.

Sep 19, 2015
Air Canada's minimum connection time is 60 minutes on US to International via Toronto

https://www.aircanada.com/us/en/aco/home/plan/check-in-information/minimum-connection-times.html

Vayama is one of those shoddy OTAs that charge fees for everything, even a passenger cancelling within 24 hours

https://www.vayama.com/partials/tax-fees
  • If you decide to change or cancel a confirmed booking for air travel, and such changes or cancellation is allowed, Vayama will charge you a fee of up to $100.00 USD per person. Note that Vayama can charge you this fee even if you cancel within 24 hours of receiving your booking confirmation.
  • Upon cancellation of the transportation or travel services, where the passenger is not at fault and has not canceled in violation of any terms and conditions previously clearly and conspicuously disclosed and agreed to by the passenger, all sums paid to the seller of travel for services not provided will be promptly paid to the passenger, unless the passenger advises the seller of travel in writing, after cancellation. This provision does not apply where the seller of travel has remitted the payment to another registered wholesale seller of travel or a carrier, without obtaining a refund, and where the wholesaler or provider defaults in providing the agreed-upon transportation or service. In this situation, the seller of travel must provide the passenger with a written statement accompanied by bank records establishing the disbursement of the payment, and if disbursed to a wholesale seller of travel, proof of current registration of that wholesaler.
I think you should point to the second bullet-point from Vayama -- the change from AC violates the minimum connection time and your ticket is not valid -- as this is something that is not the passenger's fault, Vayama should cancel the ticket.

If the morning flight does not work, it may be best to cancel the ticket completely.

I believe the $500 fee is Vayama not understanding what has happened and that the connection is illegal.

Air Canada cannot handle the ticket as you booked through Vayama and they 'own' the ticket. You need to deal with Vayama.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2019
Thank you for your helpful suggestions and comments.

Now, Vayama has notified me that Air Canada has officially changed my itinerary to a 10:15 am flight with an additional Montreal connection. This is a difference in nearly 8 hours (earlier) than my original departure (6:30 p.m.) I am asking them to work with Air Canada to cancel the flight, and have not agreed to the flight change.

Any suggestions on laws or policies to cancel this major change without them trying to charge me cancellation fees?

Thanks
Jason

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Vayama cannot sell you that flight any longer because the connection is illegal. If they don't either cancel or change it to something else you found, ask for a supervisor. Or use our company contacts and start writing now. The travel agency has to use codes to reissue to reissue or refund.

DUE SKCH to reissue, to refund - : ACUSKDCHG along with the flight number.

Vayama CAN do it - don't let them tell you they can't.