Air Canada Denied Boarding

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
The blunt truth about "late to the gate" is that the airlines protect their first class pax and their loyalty program members first. If those people take up the empty seats, then pax without status booked in coach will be the last to be accommodated. I would have been relieved not to have spent the night in Vancouver. As Rick Steves says, "if you arrive at your destination the same day you thought you would, it's a good trip". Wish I had better news for you.

Jun 27, 2017
Want to thank the Elliott advocates, particularly Neil, for the off-repeated mantra we now abide by when ever we book flights with a connection: "Never book a domestic connection less than two hours and international is best to leave three hours when possible." This past Monday, I checked our Phoenix to Maui flights and return for this October. Noticed that our Maui-Honolulu return flight had been canceled and rebooked on a LATER flight putting us into Honolulu with only 64 minutes to deboard, change concourses, and be in line for the next flight 30 minutes before departure. Perhaps doable when we were younger, but not now. Contacted Hawaiian Airlines via their FB site first (I pulled all HA contact info from the Elliott site) and POLITELY wrote a brief post expressing our concern. No emotion. Just facts, along with a request/suggestion to put us on earlier flights (we listed flight #s) out of Maui. Lo & behold we were contacted by phone shortly thereafter and our flight was CHANGED at no cost. We now have a 2.5 hour break between flights - enough time to enjoy our final Aloha breakfast at HNL. And by the way, I'm using your HA contact info to write a thank you to Hawaiian Airlines Customer Service. Thank you Elliott team!

Sep 27, 2018
While I agree trying to plan a longer layover is the best solution, from what i was able to find, there is only one direct flight per day between Maui and Vancouver. Plus, there were not many choices to Regina. Sometimes the customer is truly just stuck.

Jan 6, 2015
While I agree trying to plan a longer layover is the best solution, from what i was able to find, there is only one direct flight per day between Maui and Vancouver. Plus, there were not many choices to Regina. Sometimes the customer is truly just stuck.
In those cases, if you can, flight out the day before your connection and book a hotel. Cheap protection against a missed connection, and reduces the stress level. Done this many times . . .