• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
Sep 8, 2016
Naples, Fl
My husband and I were abandoned across our state with a 2-hour drive home (no car) after spending more than 12 hours in the Quebec airport, transported to an unscheduled layover airport, and had to stay overnight in an on-site airport hotel. They actually had two seats available, but - right in front of us and three flights later - they gave it to a Canadian on "stand-by" rather than getting us home! We had no cell phones to make arrangements for our dog, etc. Nightmare! Now they will not reimburse for rental car, out-of-pocket expenses, etc, which they PROMISED during the crisis! After lengthy correspondense with their Cust. Relations, I was shut down completely! I went on Twitter, and Social Media redirected to DM (of course) and told to resubmit. This back and forth went on and on. Stuck in a loop of "try again" and "consequenses of flying"!

I've attached my original request letter, if you care to read the scenario. Entertaining, if nothing else.

Thanks!
Rita K

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2016
Reading the description in your letter, a couple of questions to make sure we understand:

1. You were scheduled to fly Quebec City - Montreal - Toronto - Ft. Myers, correct?
2. Your Quebec City - Montreal flight was cancelled, so you ended up being rebooked Quebec City - Montreal (overnight) - Ft. Lauderdale, and then drove from Ft. Lauderdale to Ft. Myers, correct?

Reactions: AAGK

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Rita, we can probably assist you, but we need a list of the facts in chronological order ... just state exactly what happened. Air Canada is a 'tough nut' but I'm sure we can do something once we know the facts.

Reactions: AAGK and Neil Maley
Sep 8, 2016
Naples, Fl
Reading the description in your letter, a couple of questions to make sure we understand:

1. You were scheduled to fly Quebec City - Montreal - Toronto - Ft. Myers, correct?
2. Your Quebec City - Montreal flight was cancelled, so you ended up being rebooked Quebec City - Montreal (overnight) - Ft. Lauderdale, and then drove from Ft. Lauderdale to Ft. Myers, correct?

Yes. And thank you for taking the time to do this.

Check in at YQB was 7:30 a.m. The initial flight out of Quebec City at 9:30 a.m. was canceled. We were not able to get on either of the next two flights at 10:10 a.m. or the next mid-day flight. There were no flights leaving to either Montreal orToronto that could get us into Florida that evening.

We flew to Montreal at 7:00 p.m., stayed overnight, then flew out of Montreal the next morning at 8:15 a.m., ultimately being rerouted to Ft. Lauderdale on May, 16th - AC1600 (See attached itinerary)

Last edited:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Rita, were you give any other options for the flight back to Florida? Could they have put you on the same flight a day or two later?

Usually once you agree to a flight to another airport, the airline washes it's hands of anything further. Their responsibility is to get you home on the next available flight to your original airport. If you can't wait until the next available flight and opt to fly into a different airport, the airlines responsibility ends. Unless they have you something in writing from Air Canada that they agreed beforehand to pay for a rental car, they usually won't reimburse. But I would absolutely request it, the worst they can say is no

Sep 8, 2016
Naples, Fl
Rita, we can probably assist you, but we need a list of the facts in chronological order ... just state exactly what happened. Air Canada is a 'tough nut' but I'm sure we can do something once we know the facts.

First of all, thank you so much for your attention to this.

Arrived at YQB for 7:30 a.m. for 9:30 a.m. flight to Montreal-Toronto-Ft. Myers.
9:30 a.m. Canceled
Standby for 10:10 a.m. didn't happen.
Standby for last mid-day flight didn't happen. **(There were two seats, but given to a Canadian on standby who just arrived.
No more flights to either Montreal or Toronto going to Florida on 5/15/2016
Flew out of YQB same evening at 7:00 p.m. to Montreal, stayed in airport hotel.
Flew out following morning from Montreal to Ft. Lauderdale with promise of rental car for 2-hour drive home.
Submitted expenses. Denied as "consequential" by Mauresa Hodder, CR, assuming no liability for damage of this nature. Told to pursue my insurance carrier.

Please see the attached, as I wrote this chronology right after the sequence of events. I've also attached our itinerary and the original letter of denial. I have all correspondence from AC. I also contacted the Competition Bureau, who in turn said it is not their jurisdiction, and was provided contact info for the Canadian Transportation Agency.

Sep 8, 2016
Naples, Fl
Rita, were you give any other options for the flight back to Florida? Could they have put you on the same flight a day or two later?

Usually once you agree to a flight to another airport, the airline washes it's hands of anything further. Their responsibility is to get you home on the next available flight to your original airport. If you can't wait until the next available flight and opt to fly into a different airport, the airlines responsibility ends. Unless they have you something in writing from Air Canada that they agreed beforehand to pay for a rental car, they usually won't reimburse. But I would absolutely request it, the worst they can say is no

We did wait another day, and we were told there wouldn't be a flight back for several days to our original airport. We were also told by 3 managers, 2 in YQB and one in Montreal, that we would be reimbursed. We were even given a print out for refund services contact information to submit our expenses by Odelia in YQB when she handed us our hotel paperwork. But nothing that specifically says they would reimburse with a signature or anything.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We did wait another day, and we were told there wouldn't be a flight back for several days to our original airport. We were also told by 3 managers, 2 in YQB and one in Montreal, that we would be reimbursed. We were even given a print out for refund services contact information to submit our expenses by Odelia in YQB when she handed us our hotel paperwork. But nothing that specifically says they would reimburse with a signature or anything.

Good! I suggest that you use our Customer contacts and start writing Air Canada. Start at Customer Service with your letter. One thing I really would not ask for is a return if your airfare. First, you have to pay for your flight- it may have been delayed but that doesn't warrant a free flight. They did not charge you for any of the rebooked flights, you paid only what you originally paid correct? You aren't owed a free flight.

They did pay for your hotel which they should have and they also should have given you food vouchers. If they didn't and you have the receipts for food add those. And make sure you add to your letter that you were given information on applying to be reimbursed and name the rep. who you got it from.

Send it to Customer Service and give them a week to reply. If they do not reply or say no, move to the first executive shown. Give him/her a week to reply and repeat weekly going up the chain of command.

Let us know how you make out. I hope we get good news!

Reactions: jsn55
Sep 8, 2016
Naples, Fl
Good! I suggest that you use our Customer contacts and start writing Air Canada. Start at Customer Service with your letter. One thing I really would not ask for is a return if your airfare. First, you have to pay for your flight- it may have been delayed but that doesn't warrant a free flight. They did not charge you for any of the rebooked flights, you paid only what you originally paid correct? You aren't owed a free flight.

They did pay for your hotel which they should have and they also should have given you food vouchers. If they didn't and you have the receipts for food add those. And make sure you add to your letter that you were given information on applying to be reimbursed and name the rep. who you got it from.

Send it to Customer Service and give them a week to reply. If they do not reply or say no, move to the first executive shown. Give him/her a week to reply and repeat weekly going up the chain of command.

Let us know how you make out. I hope we get good news!

I will check out your sources. I actually went back and forth several times with Cust. Relations, Mauresa Hodder and their social media department. We just kept going round and round and I got nowhere. I don't know how to get beyond her. I'll look at this tomorrow. Thanks for your suggestions.

Here's a snippet of our last correspondence. Bear in mind, the agreement was with the understanding of being reimbursed for ot-of-pocket expenses, especially a reatal car!

"As you had accepted the re-protection flight to Fort Lauderdale, Air Canada transported you to your final destination. While we wish to assure you that we value your patronage, we are unable to offer further consideration to this matter. Our previous correspondence has provided our explanations and the continual exchange of emails will not alter our position."

Aug 28, 2015
New York
This doesn't seem fair. They were going to Ft Meyers, that's a couple of hours at least from Ft Lauderdale. They accepted the new itinerary but it doesn't seem like they were presented with another choice. If the next flight to the destination was not for a couple of days, the airline would have to pay for hotels and meals anyway. It seems that the car rental would be cheaper for the airline and @RitaK saved the airline money by transporting herself where they fell short.

Reactions: Patina
Aug 28, 2015
New York
If Rita declined the "reprotection" flight, what was the alternative? It annoys me that the Air Canada letter doesn't say, you could have done X instead.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This doesn't seem fair. They were going to Ft Meyers, that's a couple of hours at least from Ft Lauderdale. They accepted the new itinerary but it doesn't seem like they were presented with another choice. If the next flight to the destination was not for a couple of days, the airline would have to pay for hotels and meals anyway. It seems that the car rental would be cheaper for the airline and @RitaK saved the airline money by transporting herself where they fell short.
Oh dear, AAGK, you are trying to apply simple LOGIC to dealing with an airline. Not! AC did save money by offering a car rental reimbursal, but their policy is that they don't pay for that. What a bunch of clowns! Keep your letter concise and polite, Rita.

ADVOCATE ADVICE
If you are flying out of, or into, a small airport, be very aware of flight delays and cancellations. Those are the first flights that are affected by problems; the airlines get the big jets out first and deal with the displaced passengers later. I would drive two hours easily to a big airport to mitigate the chances of delaying my trip.

Sep 8, 2016
Naples, Fl
We actually spoke to the agent about driving, but neither Toronto, nor Montreal was leaving for Florida. Our plane was a big plane. They decided to downsize and bump 20 passengers. They said it was mechanical, which was the same story we got on the inbound delayed flight. They must have some pretty crappy equipment. In reality, Justin Bieber had performed in Quebec, and they oversold the flight, is all.

I did keep my letter polite and simple. I will wait for a response and then move on. It's only $125. For me, it's the principle of negating one's negotiated terms once we are 3500 miles away in another country. C'est la vie. I will keep you posted once I receive a response.

Thank you.

Sep 8, 2016
Naples, Fl
I had a feeling that was what they were going to say - once you accepted the new flight, all bets are off. However, their employee told you that you would be reimbursed, so stick that in your letter. Skip her and move up to Denise:
http://elliott.org/company-contacts/air-canada/

Unbelievable! I just received a phone call from Teri at Air Canada. She was handed my case after I sent her a note on Friday, at your suggestion. Apparently, my old case worker, if you will, is on holiday. My luck! Teri was so apologetic and sorry for how I have been treated. She is sending me a draft in US dollars for both mine and my husband's "denied airfare" (completely unexpected), along with a seperate check for out-of-pocket expenses for car rental, gas and food. I am ecstatic! To think I was sitting on a plane from Vancouver, Canada last week and happened to be sitting next to a gal who referred me to C. Elliot's book. It's all about being in the right place at the right time! :)

THANK YOU AND EVERYONE ON THIS THREAD/FORUM WHO HAVE ENCOURAGED ME TO READDRESS THIS UNFORTUNATE EXPERIENCE. It feels good in my heart that AC is stepping up and doing the right thing. It's tough when one bad apple creates such ill will. Again, thanks everyone!